• I believe in God and torture can be justified

• I don't believe in God and torture is wrong in all circumstances

• I don't believe in God and torture can be justified

• Only if it involves Mario Balotelli

Results are only viewable after voting.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
That is so true, at least from my personal experience. Their moral values suddenly change when the issue is gays, muslims or even other religions.
It's real easy to be Christ-like when you're interacting with other Christians. The truth of the matter is that most Christians don't hold a candle to Christ because as we know he spoke mostly to people that were not Christian. People who can't handle being around other who aren't Christian hardly have the right to call themselves that which they follow.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
This is a false argument. It's a lot easier to kill someone a thousand kilometers away at the press of a button (cruise missile, nuclear bomb, whatever) than it is to kill a man with your bare hands. And this has a lot to do with torture also. It's a lot harder to accept torture when you're doing it yourself than when you hire someone to do it for you. As long as we keep these things at a comfortable distance we can refuse to acknowledge them.

The whole point about the gun is that it's instantaneous. Never has there been such an effective way to kill before. If you had to use a knife to stab someone many times and the blood was gushing out it wouldn't be the same thing.

EDIT: It is of course true that if you really really want to kill someone then you will find a way. But that's precisely the point!! MOST OF THE TIME killing happens at that edge of conviction and rationality. If it were just a little harder to kill lots of lives would be saved. Guns make this much too easy.

You make a valid point on the gun vs knife thing, though i do not agree with the analogy of religion and guns in the first place. So we're back to square one :D

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
When you have a tyrant tormenting your left flank, (Molinaro)
you can only hope for miracle to happen...

Hopefully somebody will go JackBauer on him and mutilate him enough, so that we would be ridden of him!

Seriously, it would be hypocritical and utopia, to believe that terrorists and criminals will comply, just because of our superior ethic codes exist...
At extreme cases, certain types of chemical "torturing" or just the threat of it,
is enough to do the trick.
Think of the psychological role the eventuality/threat of a grave penalty holds.
To completely remove this eventuality/threat by law, would encourage criminals to do more damage, knowing that they would escape with it unpunished.
There is only one certain language those animals do understand/respect, if you ever deal with them personally, you will understand...

Completely banning any kind of torture is unrealistic anyway.
Do you even know what this includes?? (Jail for ex is the restriction of freedom)
We should clarify what exactly, do we mean by "torture", in the first place.
Some practices differ a lot from other practices (closing an individual into a completely dark cell, for ex is totally dif from extracting his fingernails)
Some kind of physical tortures should be completely banned though, no question about it...
Esp the ones including high risks of permanent damage, with no real efficiency.

It is indeed the truth that practically, the right to torture, even at extreme cases, with some specific procedures, is/could be abused.
Therefore it is wiser that the states who cant control the excessive violence,
coming through their very own, law enforcements tools.
Should not be allowed that by default, at any kind of circumstances... just to avoid unnecessary damage, which is very probable to happen.
But this is their problem, this indicates that the system is greatly faulted to its core.

Its like ripping off the stop plates from the streets, because the drivers are hardly paying any attention to the traffic lights...

I think that this matter is wrongfully approached by the masses.
Judging from previous uncontrolled uses through history and totalitarian misconceptions, poisoned with pre-justice...
I think it is utterly wrong that from one side we have laws that supposedly forbid any kind of torture, but it happens anyway, from untrained personnel, for the wrong reasons, with the wrong procedure and the wrong results.
Rather than having an efficient procedure, marginally acceptable by human rights/laws and highly effective. A procedure that would bring optimal results and minimal damages, but would only happen if the matter wasnt considered a taboo, due to previous incidents that stained human history for ever...

For ex, you have a dangerous rapist/adulter/murderer on custody, he has escaped from prison and has found the opportunity to kidnap two young boys and keep them locked in a cellar, while creating and posting some relevant videos in utube.
After getting caught in a gas station, traveling to a third state, he refuses to reveal the location of the cellar though, in an attempt to deny the authorities, the chance to discover more incriminating evidence against him, despite the overwhelming data/info that are already enough to convince him again.
Claiming that the videos posted in utube and found in a memory stick in his pocked were fake.
After two days of "nice talk", he refuses to reveal the location of the cellar.
He has absolutely nothing to lose anyway...
Should we let those children starve to death, just to ensure that his human rights will remain unharmed??:lol:
Should we forbid by law absolutely any kind of treatment that could be remotely considered physical or mental torture??
Imagine how those criminals would respond to that...

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
What? so it is the oldest historical document on earth?
No, just trying to say that Bible is much more reliable source than the articles of Livy, Plutarch, Herodian and other famous ancient historians on whom the history of that period is based. The oldest exemplars of Bible are way more old than the oldest exemplars of the articles of these guys, originals of course ain't there.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
No, just trying to say that Bible is much more reliable source than the articles of Livy, Plutarch, Herodian and other famous ancient historians on whom the history of that period is based. The oldest exemplars of Bible are way more old than the oldest exemplars of the articles of these guys, originals of course ain't there.
Reliable? Cha!

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Wait a minute.

You actually believe Genesis was right?
Im not very comfortable in english so i might be wrong. But if Genesis is the 1st book of Moses, then yes, i believe in what's written there. You might as well ask if im christian, as it would be absurd to be a christian and not believe in what's written in the Bible.

-> lithuanian guy
It wasn't a bad discussion at a start, but it went to the logical conclusion - you couldn't bring up anything and claimed that i'm brainwashed person. Couldn't you make this conclusion in the start, as you proved nothing and all the time threw in useless cliches? Why waste your and mine time?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
-> lithuanian guy
It wasn't a bad discussion at a start, but it went to the logical conclusion - you couldn't bring up anything and claimed that i'm brainwashed person. Couldn't you make this conclusion in the start, as you proved nothing and all the time threw in useless cliches? Why waste your and mine time?
I was genuinely interested what will you say, but then you started saying we should believe in bible as in historical evidence, and now you are claiming that genesis is true. What should i bring up, would it change anything if I said anything, you would still believe in fairies and dragons, so no point in discussing further.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I was genuinely interested what will you say, but then you started saying we should believe in bible as in historical evidence, and now you are claiming that genesis is true. What should i bring up, would it change anything if I said anything, you would still believe in fairies and dragons, so no point in discussing further.
Whatever, we should create "Fairies and dragons" related part of forum too, since it's equal with religion. And what about ogres? We could discuss whether Rooney is one or not.

Jun 13, 2007
Im not very comfortable in english so i might be wrong. But if Genesis is the 1st book of Moses, then yes, i believe in what's written there. You might as well ask if im christian, as it would be absurd to be a christian and not believe in what's written in the Bible.

-> lithuanian guy
you believe the eath is 6000 years old? and was built in 7 days? you can be a christian and not have to take these things literally. Genesis is clearly meant to be portrayed as life lessons rather than literal history.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

-> lithuanian guy
To be frank I don't even think the Pope thinks the world was built in 7 days.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
To be frank I don't even think the Pope thinks the world was built in 7 days.
Ok, short story - one day i was walking down the street and some mormons tried to start talking to me and the main thing they were asking was: "What do you think will happen to the earth after second coming?" I couldn't care less then and i don't even care about how it was built in details, since no one has been able to describe it racionally, why shouldn't i believe the most believable version that God built it all?

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
you believe the eath is 6000 years old? and was built in 7 days? you can be a christian and not have to take these things literally. Genesis is clearly meant to be portrayed as life lessons rather than literal history.
The main message of Genesis is that God built it all, he created the human, the nature and all animals living in it. And that there is sin, and devil and evil on earth since it's beginning. I don't think that Genesis was written for us to count when earth has its 4522430958234 birthday or give us any other numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)