Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #21
    Palestine is not even a 'state' yet and had its own passport, sorry but no passport no state
    Except no definition of state ever has required a passport. And I think the Montevideo convention is quite a bit more relevant in international law.

Buy on AliExpress.com
    OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #24
    it's a privilege of statehood, it's implied that only states can issue passports.
    Yes. Thus it is a consequence of statehood. Not a requirement. Kosovo did not have passports prior tot 2008 either. It would be ludicrous to make it the defining factor.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #29
    Does Dubai have a flag? Just curious.
    Again. This is not an element of statehood. Lots of regions have flags and are not states. Look at rhe criteria I posted. That is international law. Not some random crap you make up along the way.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #34
    Read up on link i provided, also dubai doesn't have a monarch

- - - Updated - - -

Meant city of London
    I have read up on the link, but imo it is a bit vague. Because it's something that is hard to define. Just like Dubai. Fred thinks he can mock me, but truth is, it is very hard to define Dubai in terms of international law.

It's not Belgium, but it's not exactly Rome or Paris either.

enzo

May 14, 2012
    My thoughts? Both.

In debating this topic I suggest we use the criteria for statehood that have been set out by the Montevideo Convention of 1933 as this is the most cited definition of statehood. As is well known the Montevideo Convention sets out four criteria for a state:

(a) a permanent population;
    (b) a defined territory;
    (c) government; and
    (d) capacity to enter into relations with the other states.

The discussion will thus revolve around these four criteria and whether or not they are met by Dubai.
    So, fulfill (a), (b) and (c) and have the capacity to enter into relations with others who fulfill (a), (b) and (c) make you a state? Wouldn't the majority of cities then be states after all? What defines a city?

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    I have read up on the link, but imo it is a bit vague. Because it's something that is hard to define. Just like Dubai. Fred thinks he can mock me, but truth is, it is very hard to define Dubai in terms of international law.

It's not Belgium, but it's not exactly Rome or Paris either.
    I don't think that's the case, autonomy never meant statehood, can dubai wage wars, have embassies, and sign international political treaties? Answer is obvious no

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #37
    I don't think that's the case, autonomy never meant statehood, can dubai wage wars, have embassies, and sign international political treaties? Answer is obvious no
    Look at the very foundation of the UAE..

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #38
    So, fulfill (a), (b) and (c) and have the capacity to enter into relations with others who fulfill (a), (b) and (c) make you a state? Wouldn't the majority of cities then be states after all? What defines a city?
    Cities do not have governments. At least not in the way that it is normally understood.

enzo

May 14, 2012
    Cities do not have governments. At least not in the way that it is normally understood.
    Of course they do have goverments. London has a government, as well as Vienna. The definition of a state according to the Montevideo Convention, in my opinion, is just targeted at former colonies in the Americas. For this reason it has also only been signed by States from the Americas.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    yeah but there are other policies which make it somewhat a city-state but not in it's entirety compared to let's say 14th century europe

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)