International Education - would you study in foreign country? (10 Viewers)

OP
Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #41
    Erik-with-a-k said:
    A local family? That sounds like hell.

If you're going to Italy: prepare to have to find your own housing. Your university might help you out with that. In which case they'll offer you a list of addresses you can call, usually you'll end up in a flat with other students like I did. That was awesome.
    care to explaine more? how much time you really had for studyng the lessons, and how much for :pint: and :party:?

;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
    Nov 7, 2005
    Stephan said:
    yeah, well the problem might be though, that obviously every programm (EF or any other) wants to show their "clients" that their programm is exactly the BEST one.

Anyway, if your gona go with erasmus, have you finished your home university? or you will leave it before the end? Because as i understand and already mentioned, you need to be on your second course in your local university to join erasmus program. So, are you on second course or finished your home uni?
    I think each University has its own exchange agreement with the other Universities. I'm a student at the University of Oslo and we have to accomplish two semesters (minimum 60 points) before we can go. I'm not exactly sure, though, but the rules are something like that. I'll go to Italy as part of a three-year bachelor degree and spend my entire third year there.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Stephan said:
    care to explaine more? how much time you really had for studyng the lessons, and how much for :pint: and :party:?

;)
    That depends on what your priorities are. My university professor in Italy told me I should learn all I can about Italian language and culture and I couldn't do that by sitting at home studying. So he agreed to give me sufficient grades for the exams so long as I could prove to him my language skills and knowledge of the culture had improved. It boiled down to an oral exam which saw me just generally talking to him about what I had experienced the past weeks. He was impressed by my use of the language and let me pass the course without having done any significant studying.

That's Italy too. You need to be able to use the culture to your benefits.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
    Nov 7, 2005
    Erik-with-a-k said:
    That depends on what your priorities are. My university professor in Italy told me I should learn all I can about Italian language and culture and I couldn't do that by sitting at home studying. So he agreed to give me sufficient grades for the exams so long as I could prove to him my language skills and knowledge of the culture had improved. It boiled down to an oral exam which saw me just generally talking to him about what I had experienced the past weeks. He was impressed by my use of the language and let me pass the course without having done any significant studying.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing

OP
    Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #45
    Erik-with-a-k said:

so how well you talk and understand italian now?

And also, before you went to italy, had you already studyd italian, or how much did you understand it before? and after the exam and course in italy, did YOU also felt you had improved a lot?

Geof

May 14, 2004
    Stephan. What are you studying right now? Where and in which grade?

I'm not familiar with EF, but Erasmus is just an exchange agreement between 100s of European universities. This basically means that unis can send their student to any of the unis they have an agreement with, and must accept foreign students from these unis.

Each university has it's own requirements, so check out yours.
    As for accomodation, programs and so on, it's the receiving uni that'll take care of it. I've been told that small unis take a lot of care of their foreign students, becuase they want to increase their reputation, while big unis let the student sort it out themselves, which isn't a bad thing.
    Here in Berlin, for example, I could apply for a student residence, but it's very far away from the centre, and I heard it sucked. So, I decided to find housing myself. It was freaking hard, but it's a great experience.

What I would advise you, is to do themost things on your own. Find a housing with local students (shared appartments, ...), get in touch with locals, experience their culture as much as possible. You'll learn a lot more than just by studying in your books...

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Jem83 said:
    Erik, did you ever go to Italy via the Erasmus programme? I plan on doing so. Perugia or Verona.
    I plan to go to Bologna as that's the only university to which the University of Antwerp wants to send history students. Well, Bologna and Padova, but seriously, I don't want to go to Padova. Sorry Pado :D.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
    Nov 7, 2005
    Seven said:
    I plan to go to Bologna as that's the only university to which the University of Antwerp wants to send history students. Well, Bologna and Padova, but seriously, I don't want to go to Padova. Sorry Pado :D.
    I'm also a history student :smoke:

So when are you going?

Geof

May 14, 2004
    Seven said:
    My sister went to Bologna two years ago. Great city! full of student life, and ocourse the italian culture...

OP
    Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #53
    Geof said:
    Stephan. What are you studying right now? Where and in which grade?

I'm not familiar with EF, but Erasmus is just an exchange agreement between 100s of European universities. This basically means that unis can send their student to any of the unis they have an agreement with, and must accept foreign students from these unis.

Each university has it's own requirements, so check out yours.
    As for accomodation, programs and so on, it's the receiving uni that'll take care of it. I've been told that small unis take a lot of care of their foreign students, becuase they want to increase their reputation, while big unis let the student sort it out themselves, which isn't a bad thing.
    Here in Berlin, for example, I could apply for a student residence, but it's very far away from the centre, and I heard it sucked. So, I decided to find housing myself. It was freaking hard, but it's a great experience.

What I would advise you, is to do themost things on your own. Find a housing with local students (shared appartments, ...), get in touch with locals, experience their culture as much as possible. You'll learn a lot more than just by studying in your books...
    well as i said, i am thinking about future, i am not studyng currently, i am working. The main thing is also that i am actually looking to study the language itself, not history or literature or what ever else, although i understand that it can all be useful and etc.
    Secondly, my education interests concern theatre and theatre history, so i dont really know how i could start studyng for example part of shakespeare play in italy, when i would go there and wouldnt know nothing about the language yet.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    i wanted to do my senior year of high school in barcelona or madrid (next year), but my counselor told me it would hurt my college apps (not sure why :confused: )

so i plan on going for my first year of college instead

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Jem83 said:
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing
    Also: (at least in the South) it's normal for parents to send professors gifts right before exam weeks and things like that. Studying is relatively important, but not nearly as important as the general impression you make.

For your sake I hope your social skills are in order.

Stephan said:
    so how well you talk and understand italian now?
    Oh I'm fluent. My current boss actually partially hired me because my Italian is so good.

And also, before you went to italy, had you already studyd italian, or how much did you understand it before? and after the exam and course in italy, did YOU also felt you had improved a lot?
    Yes I had studied Italian before I went there, on my university in The Hague. I would say I knew the basics, the grammar, and I was capable of maintaining a decent conversation in official Italian. But when I went there my vocabulary massively increased, I learned the Italian way of speaking Italian rather than the "book way" and I managed to understand heavy local dialects. I would say I booked enormous progress just from living there.

juvecento

Mar 25, 2004
    Hi

Did you know if there is opportunity for latinamerican students to study in Italy?

I have finished college and I want to study in Italy in a couple of years.

By the way, are there any mexicans in these forums?

Wraith

Sep 1, 2006
    Does anyone know about studying abroad in Europe for students from the States? I guess I should get into college first [my last year of high school], but it seems like I'd have to start making plans soon since I'd need to take a lot of language courses before the college would let me go abroad. Where is it easier/more interesting to live...what universities are decent academically...what languages are useful? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Wraith said:
    Does anyone know about studying abroad in Europe for students from the States? I guess I should get into college first [my last year of high school], but it seems like I'd have to start making plans soon since I'd need to take a lot of language courses before the college would let me go abroad. Where is it easier/more interesting to live...what universities are decent academically...what languages are useful? Thanks for any advice in advance.
    That all depends on where you wanna go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)