Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (53 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I'm not against the decision as much as I'm against Andrea's behavior. If you want him to retire let the man make his press conf and confirm this the way he feels/wants.
What's with the focus on retirement?

All that has been said is that Del Piero won't play for Juve next year, yes?

There must be every chance he'll go and play in the US for a year, or something along those lines.

And without knowing what conversations have taken place in private between Del Piero and Agnelli, I wouldn't be too quick to criticise Agnelli.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Pasqualin discovered the young Del Piero and brought him to Juventus back in 1993.

“When we saw him, many of us said a player like this is born once every 20 years. When he leaves football, it will certainly be a sad moment."

“When we signed that first Juventus contract, I feared for my ribs! He hugged me so hard, I thought he was going to crush me."

tear...
Ah man, Del Piero.. The never ending story I swear.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
And without knowing what conversations have taken place in private between Del Piero and Agnelli, I wouldn't be too quick to criticise Agnelli.
But it's still unprofessional IMO.

However, I'm waiting for Ale's statement, even-though I know he's too class to cause any contradictions or tension.

RAVANELLI

it was all a dream
Jun 4, 2011
“I was left open-mouthed when I heard the news,” Torricelli, who played alongside Del Piero at Juventus for six years in the 1990s, told TMW. “I didn’t expect it in a moment like this.

“However, if the President said what he did then it would certainly have been in agreement with Alessandro.

“Personally speaking, though, I think they could have waited…”

Exactly.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
Not everyone, the majority.
We'll just have to leave it as a disagreement here.

An "expected" retirement as you are willing to put it would never cause these reactions as you see on this thread even when there is still a long way ahead until the end of this season.
From the looks of it these angry "reactions" mostly stem from Agnelli being the one to announce it, rather than the fact that DP is actually leaving. A lot of people are sad and upset, but surprised? Be truthful, as often as this has been discussed for the last two seasons, it absolutely cannot be a "surprise."

It was unexpected, the way Agnedlli announced it was disrespectful and the timing was stupid.
Unexpected to have the announcement come on this specific day? Sure. No more than that though.

I'll only go as far as saying it was a strange choice and manner to do it.

There really isn't any basis to believe that Andrea Agnelli went out with the intent to disrespect a "friend."

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
hopefully it doesnt disrupt things in the change room.
Look at the difference,

Agnelli saying this is Del Piero's last year = Would keep press/media/journalists busy all night long to write anything they want about this and this surely wont help Del Piero no matter how we look at it.

Ale mentioning his retirement = Wouldn't create much confusion, fans wouldn't have any doubts, and press/media would talk about this for couple of days and not more.

That's apart from the fact that Andrea is no one to say when Ale should retire.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
“I was left open-mouthed when I heard the news,” Torricelli, who played alongside Del Piero at Juventus for six years in the 1990s, told TMW. “I didn’t expect it in a moment like this.

“However, if the President said what he did then it would certainly have been in agreement with Alessandro.

“Personally speaking, though, I think they could have waited…”

Exactly.
This sums up everything.

DVS

Must be patient
Nov 13, 2008
It was the wrong time but everyone had a feeling this might be ADPs last season. Enjoy it for the rest of the year he has been playing well as a super sub.

Wow that last game will be something.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
It was the wrong time but everyone had a feeling this might be ADPs last season. Enjoy it for the rest of the year he has been playing well as a super sub.

Wow that last game will be something.
Hopefully we'll have secured the Scudetto by then and the fans can celebrate with Del piero in a proper way :touched:

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
So, I'm curious, but what sort of role do people envision for him in the future (at Juventus, obviously)?

Honourary president? Actual president? Director of sport? Getting his badges and coming in as a youth coach and then first team coach? Something else? Maybe club ambassador?

DVS

Must be patient
Nov 13, 2008
So, I'm curious, but what sort of role do people envision for him in the future (at Juventus, obviously)?

Honourary president? Actual president? Director of sport? Getting his badges and coming in as a youth coach and then first team coach? Something else? Maybe club ambassador?
He and Nedved will play rock paper scissors or something

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005

I'm not fussed over that provided he doesn't start coaching anytime soon. I don't want another Ferrara situation possibly cropping up.

DVS

Must be patient
Nov 13, 2008

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)