Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (45 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Del Piero answers critics

Saturday 16 August, 2008

Alessandro Del Piero takes pleasure in replying to his critics and sees no reason why he shouldn’t maintain this blistering form.

“I don’t see the problem. I understand that not everybody likes me and some lean on my age or the idea I cannot repeat last season, but at times they do so in order to defend their opinions,” said the Juventus captain who has won back-to-back Serie B and A Capocannoniere titles.

“All I know is I will enter the new campaign with the same determination to always be at my best. I am not a player who relies entirely on athleticism, so I am surprised when many compliment me only on that aspect.”

The 33-year-old earned a recall to the Italy squad for Euro 2008 and hopes to be part of Marcello Lippi’s second era, which begins with Wednesday’s friendly against Austria.

“My desire to be in the European Championships was already considered ludicrous by many. The only way to convince a Coach to call you is to play well and the fact Lippi already knows me is irrelevant. I don’t want special treatment.”

Del Piero showed what stunning form he is on with a fantastic goal in the 4-0 Champions League drubbing of Artmedia Bratislava.

“Admittedly, that was one of the best goals of my career and it was a wonderful victory in a crucial match for our season. We want to finish the journey we started two years ago by entering the Champions League.

“In terms of potential and structure, Juventus cannot be compared to the side that was in Serie B two seasons ago. Last year we were newly-promoted on paper, but not in reality. We are aiming for the top and know this is a world class team.

“What I love most about Juve is the determination and character that the club instils in you. We maintained that spirit regardless of the many Coaches who came and went over the years. We still need to improve our killer instinct, though.”

The Bianconeri will try to work on that weakness in the traditional Trofeo Berlusconi clash with Milan on Sunday evening at San Siro.

“To be honest, I don’t remember any real 'friendly’ games with Milan or Inter,” smiled Del Piero.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Nice to see Alex called up for the azzuri again hopefully the euros wasnt the last tornament for him! In Lippi i trust..

Forza Del Piero!! Like a fine wine getting better with age!!

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Del Piero has had some great moments in matches against those two teams i certainly cant remember him ever not giving 100% against them. He will surely kick ass again sunday :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)