Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (57 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Rampulla: Del Piero? I'm really surprised to hear this, because I still believe Del Piero wants to continue.

The former Juventus keeper has always had a good rapport with Ale btw.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Here's Del Piero's last interview when he was asked about his retirement.

Mon 05 Sep 2011

“I’ve still not decided whether this will be my final campaign at Juventus or overall. But, in 20 years, I’ll be happy to look back on this adventure.”

deggen10

Jul 27, 2011
How could it NOT end like this though? His physique is good enough for him to play at this current level for another 5 years. ADP would never retire and this would force to Conte to consistently use his as a sub. So I'm pretty sure Conte had a big say in this development. Still strange.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Here's Del Piero's last interview when he was asked about his retirement.

Mon 05 Sep 2011

I’ve still not decided whether this will be my final campaign at Juventus or overall. But, in 20 years, I’ll be happy to look back on this adventure.”
Is he implying that it's between his last season at Juve and his last season overall? If so, he means that this season being his last one at Juve is 100% certain.

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
Wrong way to say goodbye

It’s May 2012 and the Pressroom at Vinovo is heaving despite the fact that they all know what announcement is about to be made. In walks Juventus President Andrea Agnelli, the legendary Giampiero Boniperti – the man responsible for signing Alessandro Del Piero in 1993 – and the club captain himself. With a tear in his eye and a voice rocked by emotion, Pinturrichio tells the world that he’s played in his last game for La Vecchia Signora.

That is how it should have happened. Instead, on any old day in October during a shareholder meeting in Turin, Andrea Agnelli confirms that the 2011-12 campaign will be Del Piero’s last in the black and white No 10 shirt. For a man who is in his 19th season at the club and whose Bianconeri jersey is his second skin, that was pretty classless from an outfit where Lo Stile Juve was once a meaning and not just a remark. Alessandro deserved better.

Today’s announcement was clearly more surprising in delivery than in terms of content. Of course it was to be expected after the almost 37-year-old only signed a 12-month contract extension earlier this year, but the timing, the setting and the manner of the statement was all wrong. Del Piero, after all, is not just any old player – that’s Amauri’s role. This is a club flag bearer, a man who didn’t flinch at the prospect of Serie B football, a leader who has scored 284 goals in 682 games for the side to date and a forward who is still hungry for more.

One would hope that Agnelli’s words were said in accordance with Alex’s wishes, but they made no sense. Why reveal all after just six League games of the new campaign? Juventus, after two consecutive seventh placed finishes in Serie A, need stability and tranquility in their search for the Scudetto. Now, having returned to the top of the table, the club run the risk of being asked some uncomfortable questions about a man whose status in Turin inevitably makes him big news.

The allegation that the decision to today announce Del Piero’s departure from the field of play was designed to divert attention away from the club’s balance sheet is a little weak. The fact that Juventus have made an operating loss of close to €100m hasn’t been disguised by the Alex revelation. If anything, it has magnified it. One would think that Agnelli, and the board, are too savvy to realise that wouldn’t have worked.

The biggest danger is that the club, Agnelli, the player – or whoever made the decision – have jumped the gun a little. Admittedly Del Piero is no longer guaranteed a starting shirt in Turin, he hasn’t for a few seasons, but a player of his class and experience could certainly still be of use on a part-time basis. Was he not thrown on as a substitute on Sunday against Chievo, hitting the post in the process?

Hypothetically speaking, what will happen if Del Piero starts making a telling difference again for the side in the second half of the season? Do the club select reverse and proclaim that, actually, Alex is still good enough for Juventus and they subsequently want him to stay another season? That’s not to say that will happen, but why run the risk?

The day when Del Piero finally did leave Juventus was always going to arrive, but the day when that announcement was made should have still been some months away. It was the wrong way to say goodbye.

agents said that alex will go to MLS after this season

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Is he implying that it's between his last season at Juve and his last season overall? If so, he means that this season being his last one at Juve is 100% certain.
He's unsure of whether this will be his last season at Juve or whether he'll play for one more year after this one.

You can read between the lines that he would love or at least wouldn't mind at all playing one more season after this one. He wants 20years with Juve. This season is his 19th.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Disgraceful how this new management treats club legends.

AA hang your head in shame. This is the best player in our clubs history. Ale should be the one who decides how and when he announces his intentions to not play for this club.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
He's unsure of whether this will be his last season at Juve or whether he'll play for one more year after this one.

You can read between the lines that he would love or at least wouldn't mind at all playing one more season after this one. He wants 20years with Juve. This season is his 19th.
But didn't he also say that the last contract of his Juve career was a blank sheet just like the first of his Juve career?

La Professore

Oct 15, 2011
If so, then fuck Agnelli.
exactly. why on earth would he say this now other than put pressure on del piero to accept and leave? if they really "wanted him to stay" or even respected him, they wait till the end of the season and see whether HE wants to extend or no.

that's what milan did with maldini btw. and i'm sure that's what inter will do with zanetti. why cant we do the same with alex? they are just pushing away all the old guard. next thing we know buffon will be sold.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I think people are over-reacting. I don't see any disrespect really. He just said it's his last season. Maybe the timing is off but I don't think there's anything wrong with the delivery of the news. I'd bet DP himself has a hand in this.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
But didn't he also say that the last contract of his Juve career was a blank sheet just like the first of his Juve career?
He sacrificed a lot of wages cut to stay here and extend. You'd feel embarrassed if I name you the players who earn as much as Ale and even more. His famous blank sheet statement was to get the Media and press off the club and to show everyone that he wouldn't mind playing for free if that's the case and that he wants to play with the team more than looking for his own interest and figures.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I think people are over-reacting. I don't see any disrespect really. He just said it's his last season. Maybe the timing is off but I don't think there's anything wrong with the delivery of the news. I'd bet DP himself has a hand in this.
You don't announce club's greatest player retirement in some shareholders meeting thing and when we're still in October.

There's something called professionalism and AA wasn't a professional when he announced this.

Again, it's not about if Del Piero is capable of playing one more season or not as much as it's his right to announce this one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 55)