Huge Tsunami waves hit Southeast Asia (7 Viewers)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
and for obvious reaons, u dont have to be a geologist to be informed about natural characteristics of tsunamis these past days...

Correct. Every news channel has been running their own computer animations showing the dynamics of the earthquake and wave.

It's the scale of the event which is beyond my comprehension...these people had no warning and therefore no chance.

Did anyone see or read the reports about the free roaming cattle, goats, etc and other domestic animals, etc, moving inland and away from the coastlines, long before the wave hit?

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
well...i subscribe BBC World and i find it very satisfying in terms of impartiality....i used to have a bad time about that with CNN... i dont want to push my opinion on you...considering where u are from, its unsuprising that u think differently....i just want to check weather u made that judgement after u have compare CNN with BBC ...
My issues with American news media are less about bias (though it most certainly exists) and more about quality. Afterall, we are the country that invented the regular fluff piece on animals as a regular evening news staple.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Shocking. I wish I could help in a different way that just donating money or food. I find what happened quite interesting and amazing (leaving behind all the people that died and all the disasters that caused)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Simply amazing. Believe it or not, I would have loved to witness the Tsunamis first hand, being a spectator from a higher elevation. I find this event to be the most interesting of the year, no doubt.

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

Correct. Every news channel has been running their own computer animations showing the dynamics of the earthquake and wave.

It's the scale of the event which is beyond my comprehension...these people had no warning and therefore no chance.

Did anyone see or read the reports about the free roaming cattle, goats, etc and other domestic animals, etc, moving inland and away from the coastlines, long before the wave hit?
Ya i heard of it, its amazing how some animals feel something before we do when an earthquake is about to happen, one theory is that wild and domestic creatures feel the Earth vibrate before humans. Other ideas suggest they detect electrical changes in the air or gas released from the Earth.

tacchina

Jul 28, 2003
I was truely horrified when I heard what happened, it really saddens me to watch people looking for the people feared dead in morgues and in the streets. I saw an image last night on the news of a father holding his dead son in his arms. It's just really heart-breaking to watch something like that, and yes, I'll be donating money towards the aid funds.

RIP

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Simply amazing. Believe it or not, I would have loved to witness the Tsunamis first hand, being a spectator from a higher elevation.
Me too. WHen I saw it first thing I said was "I wish I could be there seeing it" Its a real shame that it turned out to be a huge disaster involving human lives

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
Shocking. I wish I could help in a different way that just donating money or food. I find what happened quite interesting and amazing (leaving behind all the people that died and all the disasters that caused)
FYI, the best thing you can do is donate money.

There's typically a gut instinct to want to donate tangible things like food or clothing, but that creates a logistical nightmare in disaster recovery situations. Storage and distribution are a massive headache, are terribly inefficient, and create great inequities in aid distribution -- e.g., "how do we collect, store, station, and ship all of this?," "The locals won't eat refried beans," "This clothing isn't worth saving let alone shipping," "How do we get these size 45 shoes to the right person?"...

Cash is at least liquid and can often be converted into whatever type of aid is most needed -- food, water, medicine, clothing, shelter -- as close to the people in need as possible.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Simply amazing. Believe it or not, I would have loved to witness the Tsunamis first hand, being a spectator from a higher elevation. I find this event to be the most interesting of the year, no doubt.
Some people I know saw the whole catastrophy by boat, with the wave first passing under them before destroying the entire shore.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Wow that would have been an amazing experiance. The home video I saw was awesome, with the 20-foot Tsunami crashing into shore before the background of boats which appeared to be fine. But the force behind those waves is unbelievable. Not very tall for a Tsunami, but the water behind it is crushing.

AnnA

May 14, 2003
This was a real tragedy... Damn, nature can be soooo cruel! Well I really starded to worry... I think it can happen enywhere, nothing would be a wonder, anymore.... :down:

I dunno why, but I believe that in the same way the whole Earth population will disappear. We were playing with nature and now nature pays back, but the "price" is much more expensive.

neath_lad

Jun 25, 2004
well in my work they had bucket on every till to raise money for the disaster, every pence would hopefully make a difference. but my concern and i heard it on the news also is if this money will be used correctly to help these countries.

btw i watched a number of us news channels and personally i cant watch it. the ones i have watched pu a wierd spin on everything. i either watch bbc news 24 or sky news.

AnnA

May 14, 2003
The wave was a disaster, but the real tragedy is what happens now! All those diseases... I watched o tv.. One women said that she lost everyone excapt her baby, and that the baby is now every second weaker because is very sick...

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
I feel so "useless" watching the images of all those children, those men and women :down: but it warms my heart knowing how many people are trying to help and that our juve is one of them.

http://www.juventus.it/

(I don't know if the article writen by Giraudo has been translated yet, but I guess it will be done soon)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
EUROPE FALLS SILENT

London 05/01 - Five hundred million Europeans from Riga to Rome have been observing three minutes of silence for victims of the Asian tsunami. There was an incredible show of solidarity. Busy railway stations, airports and shopping centres came to a standstill as homage was paid to the 150,000 people known to have been killed and the thousands still missing.

In Berlin, flags on government buildings and embassies flew at half-mast. In the Netherlands, the cabinet gathered with diplomats for a silent ceremony. Pope John Paul joined the mourning offering prayers for those killed and for the millions struggling to survive. More than 9,000 foreign tourists, mostly Europeans, are dead or unaccounted for as a result of the disaster.

Video

Source: Euronews

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
The big concerns following a tsunami are very similar to those following a flood or hurricane: typhoid, dysentery, and dehydration. Theoretically, these tragedies are much more preventable than the immediate deaths due to drowning and the force of solid objects when swept in the waves. But it's a major public health crisis now that, probably first and foremost, needs addressing with fresh water and antibiotics.

Your absolutely right. However, rain in Sri Lanka couldnt have come at a worse time, as it is not only hampering the relief efforts but also playing havoc in furthering the epidemic. Besides this, Tamil Nadu in India is the chief area for importing sea food and fish owing to its coastal location. This is something that can prove to be extremely fatal imo, if the right steps arent taken. If that food makes it to the bigger cities in the country, with fish being contaminated, we could be going north on the body count that currently exists.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

that just shows how little we humans know

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Seriously? Damn. Well I think the third world countries just found a cheap warning system they can afford! I'm serious - just follow the goat!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)