how many teams in europe are greater than juventus? (14 Viewers)

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Stop it!!
You might not respect someone's opinion, but this is no way to make any contribution to any discussion...

Now on a more serious/constructive note,
the site i ve posted and any other serious statistics site surely has to calculate the difficulties the teams face in their domestic championship, if you search that site you will find those factors per championship/season,
the last years ratings are toped by Spanish teams and this is no secret...

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Elvin said:
Juventus has the 3rd largest fan base (after Real and Man U) :eyebrows:

I think Real is ahead only because all those 'player fans' join and MU because of all the ex British collonies (like US, Canada, Australia) + they are actually grands of club football.

Those 3 teams also have the biggest market value as well (Barca coming 4th in 2006)
Actually 2 years ago there was a statistic done that Aljazeera Channel talked about it stated that Juventus has the largest numbers of fans around the world.

Jul 2, 2006
ZAF3000 said:
Actually 2 years ago there was a statistic done that Aljazeera Channel talked about it stated that Juventus has the largest numbers of fans around the world.

this can be true,after the I saw this forum I can see limitless members from very different countries

I am sure We have millions fans in asia

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Esteban said:
You didn't see me comparing with the French though, did you. I just thought it was wrong comparing Ajax with the likes of Real Madrid, Milan, etc. No matter their success in Europe, all in all Ajax as a club is simply not on that level. :ferocious
Well if you have tunnel vision and only compare the clubs to current form you're right. That's not what the thread is about, however. When some historic perspective is thrown into the blender, it is clear Ajax are indeed a major European club.

Then again, if focus on recent achievements only, Juventus isn't very high on the list either. Do you see where I'm taking this yet?

JuveAdam

Moggi santo..subito
Sep 12, 2006
Ok, after much research, thought & deliberation I am going to try to provide some kind of answer to this debate. Bear with me, here goes.

To define greatness is the hardest part of the arguement. Obviously every Juventino will say il bianconeri are the greatest club in the world, otherwise how could that man claim to be a Juventino, why support them if you don't hold that very belief close to your heart?

However, trying to be unbiased & objective about this, which club(s) can claim to be greater than Juventus? Firstly, who are the greatest teams from each major footballing nation? I think the definative list would read:

UK - Liverpool
Germany - Bayern
Netherlands - Ajax
Portugal - Benfica
Spain - Real Madrid
France - Marseille
Italy - Juventus

These clubs are chosen on domestic sucess, fan base & world wide support/identity.

Now, how to rank their domestic achievements? I figured the best ranking system is that used by UEFA in the Golden Boot top scorer rankings, which gives each league a multiplier, depending on strength of the league. Spain, Italy, Germany, France and England are all given a multiplier of 2, Dutch & Portuguese leagues a 1.5. So, mulitplying the number of titles won by this number gives the following results;

Real - 58
Juventus - 54
Benfica - 46.5
Ajax - 43.5
Bayern - 40
Liverpool - 36
Marseille - 16

Then I felt the need to add domestic cups, at the value of half a league title, and UEFA cup victories at the same value as a league title. Factoring in CL/European Cups was more difficult, but finally decided that it must be worth 2 league titles. At this stage I also felt the need to bring Milan into the equation, as their continental sucess far exceeds our own, as well as Manchester Utd & Barca, due to their worldwide reputations. The following points totals were thus reached;

Real Madrid - 97
Juventus - 77
Bayern - 71
Liverpool - 69
Ajax - 69
Barca - 68
Benfica - 67.5
Milan - 51
Man Utd - 51
Marsielle - 30

These rankings show that the clubs I added rank some way behind the original list, & that Marsielle are even further out & thus are discounted from the discussion. Looking at the above table I find the top 5 to be a fair reflection of the rankings in Europe in terms of size, sucess & percieved "greatness". Real Madrid ARE head & shoulders above the rest, esp when you consider that in 51 years of the European Cup, they have won approx 1 in 5. Our domestic glory, even only counted 27 titles (that nearly killed me!), added to our huge worldwide fan base, plus 2 European cup wins & 5 losing finals apperances is enough to put us above Bayern, who's league is somewhat weaker, despite 4 EC wins. Liverpool & Ajax make up the top 5, & rightly so. Fans of all 5 clubs could argue all day about the final order they should take, but clearly these ARE Europes top 5 clubs, & I feel my ranking system is fair.

The answer to the original question, how many European teams are greater than Juve, is one, Real Madrid. Hope this helps, either solving the arguement or giving more reason to continue it!

Jul 23, 2006
JuveAdam said:
Ok, after much research, thought & deliberation I am going to try to provide some kind of answer to this debate. Bear with me, here goes.

To define greatness is the hardest part of the arguement. Obviously every Juventino will say il bianconeri are the greatest club in the world, otherwise how could that man claim to be a Juventino, why support them if you don't hold that very belief close to your heart?

However, trying to be unbiased & objective about this, which club(s) can claim to be greater than Juventus? Firstly, who are the greatest teams from each major footballing nation? I think the definative list would read:

UK - Liverpool
Germany - Bayern
Netherlands - Ajax
Portugal - Benfica
Spain - Real Madrid
France - Marseille
Italy - Juventus

These clubs are chosen on domestic sucess, fan base & world wide support/identity.

Now, how to rank their domestic achievements? I figured the best ranking system is that used by UEFA in the Golden Boot top scorer rankings, which gives each league a multiplier, depending on strength of the league. Spain, Italy, Germany, France and England are all given a multiplier of 2, Dutch & Portuguese leagues a 1.5. So, mulitplying the number of titles won by this number gives the following results;

Real - 58
Juventus - 54
Benfica - 46.5
Ajax - 43.5
Bayern - 40
Liverpool - 36
Marseille - 16

Then I felt the need to add domestic cups, at the value of half a league title, and UEFA cup victories at the same value as a league title. Factoring in CL/European Cups was more difficult, but finally decided that it must be worth 2 league titles. At this stage I also felt the need to bring Milan into the equation, as their continental sucess far exceeds our own, as well as Manchester Utd & Barca, due to their worldwide reputations. The following points totals were thus reached;

Real Madrid - 97
Juventus - 77
Bayern - 71
Liverpool - 69
Ajax - 69
Barca - 68
Benfica - 67.5
Milan - 51
Man Utd - 51
Marsielle - 30

These rankings show that the clubs I added rank some way behind the original list, & that Marsielle are even further out & thus are discounted from the discussion. Looking at the above table I find the top 5 to be a fair reflection of the rankings in Europe in terms of size, sucess & percieved "greatness". Real Madrid ARE head & shoulders above the rest, esp when you consider that in 51 years of the European Cup, they have won approx 1 in 5. Our domestic glory, even only counted 27 titles (that nearly killed me!), added to our huge worldwide fan base, plus 2 European cup wins & 5 losing finals apperances is enough to put us above Bayern, who's league is somewhat weaker, despite 4 EC wins. Liverpool & Ajax make up the top 5, & rightly so. Fans of all 5 clubs could argue all day about the final order they should take, but clearly these ARE Europes top 5 clubs, & I feel my ranking system is fair.

The answer to the original question, how many European teams are greater than Juve, is one, Real Madrid. Hope this helps, either solving the arguement or giving more reason to continue it!
nice work!
+rep

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
JuveAdam said:

UK - Liverpool
Germany - Bayern
Netherlands - Ajax
Portugal - Benfica
Spain - Real Madrid
France - Marseille
Italy - Juventus

Real - 58
Juventus - 54
Benfica - 46.5
Ajax - 43.5
Bayern - 40
Liverpool - 36
Marseille - 16

Real Madrid - 97
Juventus - 77
Bayern - 71
Liverpool - 69
Ajax - 69
Barca - 68
Benfica - 67.5
Milan - 51
Man Utd - 51
Marsielle - 30

superb post juveadam!!!!!!!!:pint:

Jul 2, 2006
JuveAdam said:

UK - Liverpool
Germany - Bayern
Netherlands - Ajax
Portugal - Benfica
Spain - Real Madrid
France - Marseille
Italy - Juventus

Real - 58
Juventus - 54
Benfica - 46.5
Ajax - 43.5
Bayern - 40
Liverpool - 36
Marseille - 16

Real Madrid - 97
Juventus - 77
Bayern - 71
Liverpool - 69
Ajax - 69
Barca - 68
Benfica - 67.5
Milan - 51
Man Utd - 51
Marsielle - 30

at least we know, we can defeat real madrid always

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
JuveAdam said:

UK - Liverpool
Germany - Bayern
Netherlands - Ajax
Portugal - Benfica
Spain - Real Madrid
France - Marseille
Italy - Juventus

Real - 58
Juventus - 54
Benfica - 46.5
Ajax - 43.5
Bayern - 40
Liverpool - 36
Marseille - 16

Real Madrid - 97
Juventus - 77
Bayern - 71
Liverpool - 69
Ajax - 69
Barca - 68
Benfica - 67.5
Milan - 51
Man Utd - 51
Marsielle - 30

Love the analysis
+REP

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
JuveAdam said:

UK - Liverpool
Germany - Bayern
Netherlands - Ajax
Portugal - Benfica
Spain - Real Madrid
France - Marseille
Italy - Juventus

Real - 58
Juventus - 54
Benfica - 46.5
Ajax - 43.5
Bayern - 40
Liverpool - 36
Marseille - 16

Real Madrid - 97
Juventus - 77
Bayern - 71
Liverpool - 69
Ajax - 69
Barca - 68
Benfica - 67.5
Milan - 51
Man Utd - 51
Marsielle - 30

The proper way to go about it, my friend. This was indeed a superb post :pint:
+Rep

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
Zé Tahir said:
Oh can it Joaco, Barcelona has a long history of glory and success.
Actually not.
Before Rijkard era and Ronaldinho era they didn't win 3 straight games.
Actually I think the best Bacerlona was that dream team with Cruyff as coach.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
JuveAdam said:

UK - Liverpool
Germany - Bayern
Netherlands - Ajax
Portugal - Benfica
Spain - Real Madrid
France - Marseille
Italy - Juventus

Real - 58
Juventus - 54
Benfica - 46.5
Ajax - 43.5
Bayern - 40
Liverpool - 36
Marseille - 16

Real Madrid - 97
Juventus - 77
Bayern - 71
Liverpool - 69
Ajax - 69
Barca - 68
Benfica - 67.5
Milan - 51
Man Utd - 51
Marsielle - 30

Well done. Now if you can manage to do this with porn stars and super models. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)