How many of us actually play football? (1 Viewer)

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
is there at least anyone who sucks at footy? so far everyone is great in every position and scores just for fun even if they're center halves. or maybe someone needs get back to earth?
I suck, that's why I quit playing it on a semi-pro level.

Or maybe because I didn't play enough I started to suck? :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++
I swear that I've never said that :D

gray, change it back...what did you do with the "e"?? ;)
What "e"?

I see no "e"

:p

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I have no idea what you're talking about

:SHIFTY EYES:

I mean, yes, I did that deliberately.

Edited by Mikhail for lies, damned lies.

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #69
    is there at least anyone who sucks at footy? so far everyone is great in every position and scores just for fun even if they're center halves. or maybe someone needs get back to earth?
    I'm a good attacking midfielder and a good left forward. As far as every other position is concerned I suck. And yeah, for an attacking midfielder I do score a lot.

Sep 28, 2002
    i was rather ironic. i didnt mean everyone is great in every position blah. but so far only pendir said that he sucks. all other are great and almost up to pro level. i just think that most are just bragging.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #71
    I know you were being ironic. I just said I really am a fairly good attacking midfielfder and left forward. At least compared to the guys I play football with. And I didn't say I was almost up to pro level, but fact is I will make a little bit of money out of football any time soon. Something which every guy with a little bit of talent is capable of if he has the right attitude.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    I've played for 22 years now (shows how old I am !!), and still play in the local league here.

I am a striker, who tries to play like Christian Vieri, but somehow ends up playing more like Max Vieri !!!!!!!!!!

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
    I've played for 22 years now (shows how old I am !!), and still play in the local league here.

I am a striker, who tries to play like Christian Vieri, but somehow ends up playing more like Max Vieri !!!!!!!!!!
    :LOL:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    I've been playing casual soccer since I was about 7, but I've only played on an organized team (otehr than PE class) since I was 13.

I'm currently registered in 2 indoor teams (men's div-II, and Co-ed). Last month I quit my outdoor team (which I helped establish :rolleyes: ) that plays in a local (mostly hispanic) league, but i still scrimage with them when the coach isn't there. This team is currently at 4th place in its debut season.

Anyhow, Since last wednesday, at my div-II (not professional) indoor game, I popped my ankle in an attempt to make a wild backheel. :groan: Now i'll probibly be out of the game for a month or so. (i've had terrible luck with injuries and stuff this year!)

Some more info:
    Positions (In Order of Prefarence): Support-Striker, CB, LB, LM.

Pros:
    *Positioning
    *Wing play (I can play wide...fast dribbles, crosses...etc.)
    *Both feet.
    *Good ball control
    *Great dribbler in tight spaces with many defenders around me.
    *Slide tackles
    *Man marking
    *Reading the game
    *Offside control, and I dont fall for offside when i'm anattacker. Maybe this falls under positioning! :undecide:
    *Very Agile
    *I never give less than 100% (fight till the end mentality)
    *I take the corner kicks.
    *I rarely foul players :angel:

Cons:
    *Bad headers towads goal (though great headers when clearing)
    *not too good chesting the ball down.
    *Inconsistant.
    *Very light. So i have a disadvantage when physically challanging for the ball.
    *I dont take many shots at goal.
    *weak shots. (though i can take accurate FKs)
    *My eyes are too much in the ball sometimes (though i'm improving a lot)
    *I set my own pace/tempo durring the game. (sometimes too fast for a slow buildup game, or sometimes I'm too slow at taking the ball to the other end in a fast-paced game)
    *I dont score many goals (I'm usefull in that I open up the defense and I provide a decent amount of assists)

Style of play similar to:
    At Defense: Maldini
    In Attack: a cross between Zola, D'Alessandro, and C. Ronaldo. (even though I'm not huscky or short :undecide: )

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Majed, I'm assuming the 'Slide Tackles' pro isn't such an advantage in indoor eh? In the indoor comps I play in, attempting a slide tackle from anywhere on the court automatically results in a penalty for the other team :(

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Majed, I'm assuming the 'Slide Tackles' pro isn't such an advantage in indoor eh? In the indoor comps I play in, attempting a slide tackle from anywhere on the court automatically results in a penalty for the other team :(
    exactly :groan:.. same here, but it's a foul not a PK .... That's why i dont play defense in indoor (unless really needed).

man-marking isn't too handy in indoor either since the positions change a lot. Indoor is a lot less static than outdoor.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    In indoor, it's usually better to pressure people into making mistakes rather than commiting to a challenge, since a lot of indoor players have good close control. When I'm defending in indoor, I usually just jockey them a lot and wait for them to make the first move.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    In indoor, it's usually better to pressure people into making mistakes rather than commiting to a challenge, since a lot of indoor players have good close control. When I'm defending in indoor, I usually just jockey them a lot and wait for them to make the first move.
    Since I've always played 7v7 or 6v6 soccer, that's my style of defending (my physique doesn't help either :D ). So, i've carried that when playing outdoor soccer and it's not the best way when playing organized outdoor teams that'll rather pass the ball around and keep posession than attack more liberally.

but yes, i agree, it's the best way for indoor.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    i was rather ironic. i didnt mean everyone is great in every position blah. but so far only pendir said that he sucks. all other are great and almost up to pro level. i just think that most are just bragging.
    :LOL:

you might be right.. some say you're a bastard.. they called you the "forum Bastard" FFS.. but. I think you're realistic.. you act as an arse sometimes.. but.. hey.. who doesn't..

I don't know about others.. but, everything I said in my post was true.. maybe I wasn't so clear that I'm not that great in CB atm.. but, I'm doing fine.. however, in my college days.. I was so great as a striker for a college team.. I was this " " close from signing up with a pro-team.. but, I didn't REALLY wish to play with them.. cuz football here in the UAE is not that professional.. you don't get paid regularly.. they won't release you if you get an offer from another club.. (though now they start doing so).. beside, I had to manage my time with the club and my study which will affect my grade.. and it ain't worth it.. people who get the real benefits from UAE football are the coaches and the foreign professional players.. as for us "locals".. we get shit..

my father and my older brother were "professional" footballers, so to speak..
    and they were the first people who advise me not to play with a pro-club..

peace man.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)