How an Amazonian tribe turned a missionary into an atheist (1 Viewer)

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
It's a confusing place semantically speaking. "Does god exist" is just as much a statement of belief as it is of knowledge. Or can be.

It is understood that if you know something to be true you believe it automatically. The reverse is not true, that's where the distinction lies. Another way to say "knows" is "I can prove it".

Or better still. "I believe something" means I have reason to believe. "I know something" means everyone has reason to believe, because it's demonstrable.
Yeah, I know what you're saying, it gets harder on a religion basis.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #65
    Materialists? What's so godless about being materialistic?
    It contradicts the so called supernatural doctrine of various religions. A materialist thinks everything that exists is purely physical matter. So that means humans don't have a "soul", for starters.

Now, he can still believe in god this way or that, but it doesn't agree with christian doctrine.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #66
    Let's be honest, it's more like religious bias.
    What Ze does is he says "people who behave in ways I don't like are hereby excluded from my religion". Anyone can see that's just an attempt to exclude those "bad people" from bringing criticism onto his religion.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    It contradicts the so called supernatural doctrine of various religions. A materialist thinks everything that exists is purely physical matter. So that means humans don't have a "soul", for starters.

Now, he can still believe in god this way or that, but it doesn't agree with christian doctrine.
    What if he materialize Christian memorabilia that promotes Christian doctrine and at the same time lives a life that coincides within the teaching of Christ.

Or what if someone is a collector of rare coins or old cars, yet equally fulfills everything required of him by the teachings of Christ.

Or how about this one. My favorite. This guy lives in the woods, craps in holes, hunts his own food, basically lives of the land. He hasn't heard of Christ but somehow lives exactly to the beliefs written in the New Testament.

Which is the true Christian?

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I'm assuming you meant "claim to believe".

This is a dishonest statement, and the logical consequence is pointless. You're saying that if someone behaves not according to religious belief that person is automatically an atheist. If that's true then everyone is an atheist because no person has ever lived who followed religious teachings 100% (why? because the teachings themselves are so absurd it's impossible to do so)

Secondly, it's a conceited statement to say that someone who claims to believe doesn't actually believe. You're claiming to have knowledge you don't have. There's no way of knowing. You might say if someone is a believer, it would rationally force him to obey religious teaching. But it may be that he's unable to. Or it may be that his belief waivers. Or it may be that he believes the punishment is coming but he thinks transgressing is worth it anyway.
    No I didn't say that. I used "or" not "and" so I'm referring to three different types of people. People who claim to be of [insert religion] yet behave in a different manner should not be categorized as religious imo. See that's the problem some of you have. If a Muslim goes and beheads someone then Islam is blamed and religion is blamed. When Bush goes and kills innocent Iraqi's and Afghan's, no one blames Democracy. Catch my drift?

Materialists I would agree. As for the others you're just excluding people you don't like based on your own bias.
    Oh, you like opportunists and imperialists? You like it when a civil war breaks out in a third world country and gun manufacturers start selling their guns and ammo to them? You think it's fun to be ruled by foreign nations for hundreds of years?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #69
    What if he materialize Christian memorabilia that promotes Christian doctrine and at the same time lives a life that coincides within the teaching of Christ.

Or what if someone is a collector of rare coins or old cars, yet equally fulfills everything required of him by the teachings of Christ.

Or how about this one. My favorite. This guy lives in the woods, craps in holes, hunts his own food, basically lives of the land. He hasn't heard of Christ but somehow lives exactly to the beliefs written in the New Testament.

Which is the true Christian?
    When I say materialist I'm talking about the philosophical meaning. Not the practice of accumulating goods. Another word for that which I think is equivalent is "reductionist". Ie. everything reduces to fundamental particles.

Is someone who lives in accordance with Christianity automatically a Christian? I don't think so. I think you have to profess a belief in god.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    When I say materialist I'm talking about the philosophical meaning. Not the practice of accumulating goods. Another word for that which I think is equivalent is "reductionist". Ie. everything reduces to fundamental particles.

Is someone who lives in accordance with Christianity automatically a Christian? I don't think so. I think you have to profess a belief in god.
    Now how many philosophical materialists do you know?

Well yeah a belief in god is important, but my point is that no one can pick and chose "what is consider what" other than the individual. Especially in religion where there are so many sects, and separate doctrines. Even though they all tend to follow the same basic principles. There's no requirement to be "exactly" Christian.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Oh, you like opportunists and imperialists? You like it when a civil war breaks out in a third world country and gun manufacturers start selling their guns and ammo to them? You think it's fun to be ruled by foreign nations for hundreds of years?
    It's a completely whole seperate issue. And Those imperialists were never godless.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #72
    No I didn't say that. I used "or" not "and" so I'm referring to three different types of people. People who claim to be of [insert religion] yet behave in a different manner should not be categorized as religious imo.
    You are missing the point here. Whether someone is religious or not is not for you to decide because you cannot examine people's convictions. You can very well say "this person doesn't live a religious life". But he can still claim to be religious, and you can't rationally deny that.

And, of course, the slippery slope of "living in accordance with religion" is very messy because religion has to be interpreted which gives everyone an opportunity to interpret however the hell he wants to.

See that's the problem some of you have. If a Muslim goes and beheads someone then Islam is blamed and religion is blamed. When Bush goes and kills innocent Iraqi's and Afghan's, no one blames Democracy. Catch my drift?
    You're right to make that criticism.

This has nothing to do with what I said. All I said was those people may very well feel religious.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #73
    Now how many philosophical materialists do you know?
    Well, I'm one so.

Well yeah a belief in god is important, but my point is that no one can pick and chose "what is consider what" other than the individual. Especially in religion where there are so many sects, and separate doctrines. Even though they all tend to follow the same basic principles. There's no requirement to be "exactly" Christian.
    Okay, but if you say "I don't think there is anything in the world except matter" then just how many christian sects would not protest? Maybe there are some that wouldn't, but I'm sure the three major ones would.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    You are missing the point here. Whether someone is religious or not is not for you to decide because you cannot examine people's convictions. You can very well say "this person doesn't live a religious life". But he can still claim to be religious, and you can't rationally deny that.
    You're right, Ma bad, I used the wrong word.

And, of course, the slippery slope of "living in accordance with religion" is very messy because religion has to be interpreted which gives everyone an opportunity to interpret however the hell he wants to.
    Right, but that's true for pretty much anything in life.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #75
    Right, but that's true for pretty much anything in life.
    Indeed, which is why Marx said "I'm not a Marxist". And communism was never actually practiced anywhere, because every communist regime completely twisted the basic philosophy.

So there is a semantic problem. People abuse words on purpose for political goals.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Well, I'm one so.

Okay, but if you say "I don't think there is anything in the world except matter" then just how many christian sects would not protest? Maybe there are some that wouldn't, but I'm sure the three major ones would.
    Well are you also saying that you are Christian or a believer in God? :D

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Whether you're a materialist or whatever doesn't matter if you're not a Christian. At least as far as being "godless". Or a fake christian or whatever we're talking about.

And if you say you believe the world is made of matter and don't profess a belief that God made that matter, then whether or not certain Christians have a problem with you doesn't matter either.

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
    It will make more news in the future as well. Atheism will dominate the world soon, and religion will dissolve. No more crusades and jewhad bullshit, no more fanatic religious extremists, no more "Holy Land" fighting while innocent people are dying, no more Christians funding Jews. Thank god I'm an atheist.
    Which one you want to Thank? lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)