How an Amazonian tribe turned a missionary into an atheist (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
A RIVETING and hugely satisfying report on BBC Radio 4 today tells the story of a missionary who was charged by an American missionary group with taking the Gospel to the little understood Pirahãs tribe in the Amazon – only to realise how ridiculous his faith in Christianity was.

Daniel Everett, 57, a linguist in the Departmental Chair of Languages, Literatures and Cultures at Illinois State University, told presenter John McCarthy on the Excess Baggage programme, that he had travelled to the Amazon in the 70s to bring the tribe “the joy of faith” only to discover that they were a deeply contented people. In fact they seemed far better contented than he was.

Tribe members asked the missionary whether he had seen or experienced any of the things he was telling them about. He had to admit that he hadn’t; that he was simply passing things onto them that were told to him by people who hadn’t seen or experienced them either.

The Pirahãs, he said, “believed that the world was as it had always been, and that there was no supreme deity”. Furthermore they had no creation myths in their culture. In short, here was a people who were more than happy to live their lives “without God, religion or any political authority”.

Despite Everett translating the Book of Luke into Pirahã and reading it to tribe members, the Pirahãs sensibly resisted all his attempts to convert them.

According to a report in the New Yorker:

His zeal soon dissipated … Convinced that the Pirahã assigned no spiritual meaning to the Bible, Everett finally admitted that he did not, either. He declared himself an atheist …

According to Wikipedia, Everett “was having serious doubts by 1982, and had lost all faith by 1985 after having spent a year at MIT. He would not tell anyone about his atheism for another 19 years; when he finally did, his marriage ended in divorce and two of his three children broke off all contact.”

Everett’s account of his life among the Pirahãs is told in his book Don’t Sleep There are Snakes. BBC Radio 4 has chosen it as its Book of The Week, and it will be broadcast from Monday, November 17, 2008 ( weekdays 9.45am -10.00am, repeated 00.30-00.45am.)

The book concludes with Everett saying:

The Pirahãs have shown me that there is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comforts of heaven or the fear of hell, and of sailing towards the great abyss with a smile.

And they have shown me that for years I held many of my beliefs without warrant. I have learned these things from the Pirahãs, and I will be grateful to them for as long as I live.

===

Pretty funny :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I bet those savages didn't hear about Allaaaah Allaaah Allaah Allaaah yet.

Allah Ahkbar, people!

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Aww...atheists "convert" someone and it makes the news. How cute :D
It will make more news in the future as well. Atheism will dominate the world soon, and religion will dissolve. No more crusades and jewhad bullshit, no more fanatic religious extremists, no more "Holy Land" fighting while innocent people are dying, no more Christians funding Jews. Thank god I'm an atheist.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #11
    It will make more news in the future as well. Atheism will dominate the world soon, and religion will dissolve.
    I doubt that. Religion won't disappear but there is a general trend whereby people stop believing the most silly things in their religion. They practice a watered down religion which has more to do with customs and traditions than belief, and which is essentially harmless.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    It will make more news in the future as well. Atheism will dominate the world soon, and religion will dissolve. No more crusades and jewhad bullshit, no more fanatic religious extremists, no more "Holy Land" fighting while innocent people are dying, no more Christians funding Jews. Thank god I'm an atheist.
    Oh man. No offense, but that is probably one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read.

The reason why the world is in such a shitter right now is because there's a battle between Godless people and Relegious extremists.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #13
    The reason why the world is in such a shitter right now is because there's a battle between Godless people and Relegious extremists.
    So that's what the reason is. My word, I've been wandering what got into us the last 7000 years.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Oh man. No offense, but that is probably one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read.

Wrong, think again. And which "godless people" are you talking about ? Israelis ? There more religious than Christianiy and Islam combined. And there aren't any Atheist state countries so once again, don't know which godless people you are talking about.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #15
    Wrong, think again. And which "godless people" are you talking about ? Israelis ? There more religious than Christianiy and Islam combined.
    Actually, they're not. Israel is a very atheistic society. The thing is Jews don't stop being Jews once they stop believing in god, Jewish tradition works just as well on customs and rituals. I heard recently that supposedly 50% of Israelites are atheists. (Of course it may be that the other 50% are really "bible bashing".)

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Actually, they're not. Israel is a very atheistic society. The thing is Jews don't stop being Jews once they stop believing in god, Jewish tradition works just as well on customs and rituals. I heard recently that supposedly 50% of Israelites are atheists. (Of course it may be that the other 50% are really "bible bashing".)
    Good for them then, but 50% is a bit way too much. Doubt it's true.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    There's a somewhat interesting movie based on a similar story called At Play In The Fields of The Lord. It's worth a watch if you're interested in the subject.

Apr 12, 2004

Wrong, in 30 or 40 years, churches will be torn down all across the world. Old-ass people, who make up 70% of the church-going population will be dead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)