How an Amazonian tribe turned a missionary into an atheist (1 Viewer)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
To some point, major religion is pretty foolish. But let's not kid ourselves and assume the Amazonian tribes are all "godless". The majority if not all Amazonian natives either worship or have worshiped (before the spanish invasion) some sort of deity or multiple deities. So it's not like they were atheists, they just had their own things going on.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
ßüякε;1916002 said:
Wrong, in 30 or 40 years, churches will be torn down all across the world. Old-ass people, who make up 70% of the church-going population will be dead.
That's extremely inaccurate.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #23
    Good for them then, but 50% is a bit way too much. Doubt it's true.
    pedia:
    As of 2006, 10% of Israeli Jews defined themselves as Haredim; an additional 10% as "religious"; 14% as "religious-traditionalists" ; 22% as "non-religious-traditionalists" (not strictly adhering to Jewish law or halakha); and 44% as "secular" (Hebrew: חִלּוֹנִי‎, Hiloni).[4] Among all Israeli Jews, 65% believe in God and 85% participate in a Passover seder.[5] However, other sources indicate that between 15% and 37% of Israelis identify themselves as either agnostics or atheists.[6]
    Also see here:
    http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

So whatever the precise number I think it's clear that Israel being in the top 30 or so most atheist societies is still pretty high on the scale.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    You guys have no idea. They will stage the second coming of Jesus Christ if their future depended on it. That's how corrupt the system is.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    You guys have no idea. They will stage the second coming of Jesus Christ if their future depended on it. That's how corrupt the system is.
    Probably just uncover some ancient scroll in mesopatamia and say the second coming is coming a little later that originally thought.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #32
    That's with agnostics as well.
    It is. But the difference between atheist and agnostic is negligible. Neither of them believe in god thus neither of them live in accordance with religious conviction.

Atheist<->agnostic is basically a semantic dispute.

EDIT: I would even argue that agnostic is the politically correct version of atheist.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Probably just uncover some ancient scroll in mesopatamia and say the second coming is coming a little later that originally thought.
    A great catastrophe will be engineered and somebody will be chosen to be the leader to take us out of it. Book of Revelations.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    It is. But the difference between atheist and agnostic is negligible. Neither of them believe in god thus neither of them live in accordance with religious conviction.

Atheist<->agnostic is basically a semantic dispute.

EDIT: I would even argue that agnostic is the politically correct version of atheist.
    But with agnostics, they can easily pick up a book and be all religion-psycho again

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    ßü&#1103;&#1082;&#949;;1916033 said:
    The world is widely accepted to be just the United States.
    :D

EDIT: Actually, to some extent, some of our middle-eastern countries have already accepted your ideology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)