Hernanes (13 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
He was what we call an Armador, a CM which role is also to playmake, not quite that deep lying role that Pirlo had. In truth he was a box-to-box as he always found himself supporting the strikers as much as he tracked back. But in his later São Paulo days he was playing as a pure TQ. So it's safe to say he can play anywhere.
:tup:

Thanks. I was trying to recall the name for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Inter averaged 1.8 points per game last season in Serie A with #Hernanes playing, 0.8 without him.
:weee:

He definitely improves a mid table squad like Inter. :p

The question is, what sort of effect he shall have on Juventus. If he gets back to his 11/12-12/13 form for Lazio, he could be really something here. He was absolutely immense those two seasons as almost exclusively an AM.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the fate of this season is down to few things:
Allegri's formation. He needs to pick one, and the right one. This isn't a side which has played together for years and therefore can chop and change between different formations without issues.

Chiellini and Barzagli are getting older, and if their performance drops off significantly this side will struggle, especially if Allegri is too slow to give Rugani the opportunity to take their place.

Clearly how long the new players take to settle.

Whether Pogba can handle being 'the star', because thus far he seems on the verge of imploding

Lastly I think Dybala is the most important factor. And to a lesser degree whether Allegri realises this soon enough. Dybala needs to start, and he needs to fulfill his potential very quickly.
Definitely agree about the last bit. Seeing as Tevez was by far the most important player to our success last season, and Dybala will have to be quite something to make up for at the very least a large part of that. It will be interesting to see how quickly Allegri is willing to put that pressure on him. I think Allegri realizes already just important Dybala is, what I'm less sure of is whether Allegri is a coach to just toss the player into the fray, and heap a large amount of pressure on him so early. Morata was injured to begin last season, but even after returning, Allegri played a very out of form Llorente as first choice for quite some time. I hope he'll realize this team can't afford to have Dybala babied like that for the first few months of the season, or we're going to end up in a lot of trouble.

Welcome to the forum. Catch 22 is a fantastic book. One of my favourites. Although Gravity's Rainbow trumps it for me. :D

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
:tup:

Thanks. I was trying to recall the name for it.

- - - Updated - - -

:weee:

He definitely improves a mid table squad like Inter. :p

The question is, what sort of effect he shall have on Juventus. If he gets back to his 11/12-12/13 form for Lazio, he could be really something here. He was absolutely immense those two seasons as almost exclusively an AM.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely agree about the last bit. Seeing as Tevez was by far the most important player to our success last season, and Dybala will have to be quite something to make up for at the very least a large part of that. It will be interesting to see how quickly Allegri is willing to put that pressure on him. I think Allegri realizes already just important Dybala is, what I'm less sure of is whether Allegri is a coach to just toss the player into the fray, and heap a large amount of pressure on him so early. Morata was injured to begin last season, but even after returning, Allegri played a very out of form Llorente as first choice for quite some time. I hope he'll realize this team can't afford to have Dybala babied like that for the first few months of the season, or we're going to end up in a lot of trouble.

Welcome to the forum. Catch 22 is a fantastic book. One of my favourites. Although Gravity's Rainbow trumps it for me. :D

my name on facebook is tyrone slothrop :p

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
So, there is a book better then catch 22 around the same setting and absurd type of story? :weee: I know first thing I will be doing tommorrow morning *checking bookshop's online registry*

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
We should loan this piece of shit to Santos or something...ain't that where every Brazilian Merda Scum want to go?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Ahh fvck. No offense Post Ironic/ @Kieselguhr Kid, but I would have been much more content if it had gotten Denebs seal of approval too :p
:lol: None taken. I'm pretty sure he quite likes it also. I don't think there's a person alive who could call Gravity's Rainbow an easy read. I've read it several times over the years, and it never gets easier. It's quite similar to Catch-22 in being incredibly entertaining, while also being densely packed with references and strange twists and turns that transform the book into a labyrinthine epic that can be difficult to follow at times. GR probably a little more difficult than Catch-22. I think one can choose just how seriously to take all these divergences and side trips and whether or not to research every random bit of information that floats by. One can make a mammoth study of each of these books, or make their way through purely for entertainment. The biggest difference is the length, as Catch-22 is only 450 pages or so, whereas Gravity's Rainbow clocks in at 770ish. I found this a plus, as with books I love I always loathe that they end. I've never met a fan of Catch-22 that didn't enjoy Gravity's Rainbow upon reading, and the reverse is also true.

- - - Updated - - -

good luck :p it's good but a very challenging read, for me at least.
:agree:

Would you change my name back to Post Ironic? Please. It seems people know me as that anyways, the new name hasn't really gone the distance. I promise not to ask for another change! :p

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'll be checking it out too. @Kieselguhr Kid, thanks.
Hope you enjoy it if you do! It's a doozy.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
not too pessimistic but still pessimistic

Serie A - :tup:
CL - as you said, we shouldnt expect to make the final again (even though its still very possible), but with this team we can reach QF, maybe even SF depending on the draw. im quite confident we can pass this group.
Ironic though, if this team manages to start playing with some sort of identity and gel together, it is more likely to do well in Europe than it is domestically, for the simple reason that this team and its new key elements would help play with far more finesse and agility and much less the character and grinta you're used to if a typical Juve stilo. Fluid football yes, but grinding out results with organisation, unlikely.

Cant wait to see this guy play!
He's going to be interesting. Would've been a great move a couple of years ago, but I guess he's still got three years of decent football left in him, and I think the #11 suits him to the t. Hopefully he brings that Nedved effect with him from the get go.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Ironic though, if this team manages to start playing with some sort of identity and gel together, it is more likely to do well in Europe than it is domestically, for the simple reason that this team and its new key elements would help play with far more finesse and agility and much less the character and grinta you're used to if a typical Juve stilo. Fluid football yes, but grinding out results with organisation, unlikely.
i think your right here, this team has the tools to play different formations with a different gameplan, but as you say, this team isnt built for grinding out results with organization as much as the previous years, and we will see less of those 1-0 ugly wins for sure (though we saw less of them even last season than under Conte). still, i think we will win the scudetto again, not as dominant as previous years though.

Mar 30, 2006
i think your right here, this team has the tools to play different formations with a different gameplan, but as you say, this team isnt built for grinding out results with organization as much as the previous years, and we will see less of those 1-0 ugly wins for sure (though we saw less of them even last season than under Conte). still, i think we will win the scudetto again, not as dominant as previous years though.
I think if Hernanes can click with Morata and Dybala we can play a more conservative midfield (Marchi, Pog, Khedira, Stu or Asa) behind them to protect the defense. But if they struggle to score then we will need to be more adventurous and play more aggressive mid with Cuadrado or Pereyra in the 3rd cm spot.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Ha, have my doubts about the scudetto this year. I think we will end up third, might lose a bit of time while Allegri gets the team playing with a certain identity, flow and style. Maybe, just maybe the CL will help the team gel faster and hopefully no injuries, and we could look at second, but I'd say we are likely third this year and pre quarters in the CL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)