Gym and fitness (14 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Running a half marathon in about a month. (April 21) I've been training pretty well but I haven't run more that 8 miles yet. Anyone have any last minute training advice? Thinking about getting a massage a few days before.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
Welcome back siamak, to gain mass you have to eat more, but clean obviously, for strength it really depends on what your target is if you do add mass you will get stronger but if you want more drastic changes you gotta get on a rigorous strength program
thx Every time I have read your posts I've noticed that you seem to always be very educated.I eat over 100g of Protein daily but i need to a workout program to build my muscle and burn fat effectively.i want to gain mass with consistent training and diet every week to get a great physique but i just don't know about how to go about it right.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
thx Every time I have read your posts I've noticed that you seem to always be very educated.I eat over 100g of Protein daily but i need to a workout program to build my muscle and burn fat effectively.i want to gain mass with consistent training and diet every week to get a great physique but i just don't know about how to go about it right.
Post your daily diet

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Running a half marathon in about a month. (April 21) I've been training pretty well but I haven't run more that 8 miles yet. Anyone have any last minute training advice? Thinking about getting a massage a few days before.

I firmly believe that if you are not overweight and have no significant injuries, you can easily run a half marathon if you can run 8 miles. By that I mean 8 miles already shows you've got at least basic endurance and as long as you watch your pace, I think you should be able to finish a half marathon.

Now if you're going for a PR, you might want to get some experience doing the actual distance.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
It's now time to fine tune your form. Do not run more than 10 miles before the race, you don't need it. In the coming four weeks do this

1. Long distance (8 to 10 miles)
2. Intervals (I will give you a list of sessions, choose from them)
3. Fast short distance (4 to 5 miles but faster than run 1.

Take a day or two in between these, you can hit the gym if you want on the no-run days. You can do yoga. Do some workout with functional training.

A list of interval sessions:

1. Uphill training: Find an uphill and run upwards, walk downwards. Repeat until you hate me.
2. Short intervals: 20x 1 minute sprint with 1 minute rest in between
3. Long intervals: 10x 2 minute sprint (a bit slower than the one above) with 1 minute rest in between
4. 5 or 6x tabata runs (Each tabata consists of 20 seconds very fast sprint, 10 seconds jog)
5. Pyramids (200 meters 400 meters 600 meters 800 meters 600 meters 400 meters 200 meters, take a minute rest in between. Repeat the entire block three times)

Now if you want to take a day rest between the three runs per week, you will end up having 2 days in between two runs. Make sure that you run the fast run just one day after the intervals.

After the four weeks are over you will be more than ready, take a run or two in the fifth week but not too long and not too fast. Maybe one 6 miles and one 8 miles. Hit the gym if you want. Hydrate and de-hydrate as much as you can, drink a lot of water and pee a lot during that week. Have a huge carb meal the evening before the race.

Good luck!

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I firmly believe that if you are not overweight and have no significant injuries, you can easily run a half marathon if you can run 8 miles. By that I mean 8 miles already shows you've got at least basic endurance and as long as you watch your pace, I think you should be able to finish a half marathon.

Now if you're going for a PR, you might want to get some experience doing the actual distance.
My goal is to finish. Depending on how it goes I may parlay my training into a full marathon in July, going thru the Tetons.

- - - Updated - - -

It's now time to fine tune your form. Do not run more than 10 miles before the race, you don't need it. In the coming four weeks do this

1. Long distance (8 to 10 miles)
2. Intervals (I will give you a list of sessions, choose from them)
3. Fast short distance (4 to 5 miles but faster than run 1.

Take a day or two in between these, you can hit the gym if you want on the no-run days. You can do yoga. Do some workout with functional training.

A list of interval sessions:

1. Uphill training: Find an uphill and run upwards, walk downwards. Repeat until you hate me.
2. Short intervals: 20x 1 minute sprint with 1 minute rest in between
3. Long intervals: 10x 2 minute sprint (a bit slower than the one above) with 1 minute rest in between
4. 5 or 6x tabata runs (Each tabata consists of 20 seconds very fast sprint, 10 seconds jog)
5. Pyramids (200 meters 400 meters 600 meters 800 meters 600 meters 400 meters 200 meters, take a minute rest in between. Repeat the entire block three times)

Now if you want to take a day rest between the three runs per week, you will end up having 2 days in between two runs. Make sure that you run the fast run just one day after the intervals.

After the four weeks are over you will be more than ready, take a run or two in the fifth week but not too long and not too fast. Maybe one 6 miles and one 8 miles. Hit the gym if you want. Hydrate and de-hydrate as much as you can, drink a lot of water and pee a lot during that week. Have a huge carb meal the evening before the race.

Good luck!
Thanks Jack! I think I've been doing a good job with the short and long run part but I was missing the interval sessions. I'll add them in next week.

I've also found it pretty hard to eat enough. That's been a fun problem.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
My goal is to finish. Depending on how it goes I may parlay my training into a full marathon in July, going thru the Tetons.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jack! I think I've been doing a good job with the short and long run part but I was missing the interval sessions. I'll add them in next week.

I've also found it pretty hard to eat enough. That's been a fun problem.
Even if your goal is to only finish, the intervals will do you good. You will add strength to your legs and speed to your run with these. Also you will feel much better after finishing the race when you have trained well enough than just standing at the start line casually, many can finish a half marathon but it all depends on how you feel afterwards.

Yes, the food bit is quite fun. I find myself eating a lot and never satisfied, it's how it is.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Even if your goal is to only finish, the intervals will do you good. You will add strength to your legs and speed to your run with these. Also you will feel much better after finishing the race when you have trained well enough than just standing at the start line casually, many can finish a half marathon but it all depends on how you feel afterwards.

Yes, the food bit is quite fun. I find myself eating a lot and never satisfied, it's how it is.
Always hungry, always with big pants.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Good luck on the half marathon, A-Aron.

Set a goal/bet to be able to do a muscle up by the 31st of May. I started practicing by doing pullups where my head is further back from the bar and I end up hitting it on the closet shelf. Great start.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Good luck on the half marathon, A-Aron.

Set a goal/bet to be able to do a muscle up by the 31st of May. I started practicing by doing pullups where my head is further back from the bar and I end up hitting it on the closet shelf. Great start.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Good point. Also, I think this obsession we have with running long distances can be counter productive. If you have fun running a half marathon, great. But don't just suffer through it. Running 5K or 10K seems perfectly fine from a health perspective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)