Gym and fitness (21 Viewers)

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Allways interesting to hear whats the latest crap they tell to people to scare them away from leg exercise.
Dont worry, leg extentions good for the knees, especially when done right. They are an isolation excercise for the quadriceps, and a pretty good one. Key is to extend with force, and decent back in a slower fashion.
You have to do leg extentions, because you will need to increase size and strenght of your quads, the true powermuscle.

I've had problems on curls cause i have a metal plate in my bone just above the ankle in the right leg. However, positionning helps here. Make sure your kneediscs are about 2-3centimeters below the corner of the bench you are lying on. like this you rest on your quads, and the knee can move without interruption. Set the machine in such way that the cussion at your feet is slightly above the heel, around the ankle. grab the handles under the bench firmly and raise your chest slightly off.
Its adviced that you begin with lower weights, and work your way up. Tell me if you have problems positionning well, and what the exact issue is.

Hyperextentions are fine. You need to keep that lower back strong.

Leg press is good. Is it a horizontal , or decline press ? ?

At 80kg you got a lot of progression left in the tank. I would advice the regular leg day :

Full squat 4sets : 12-10-8-6 (reps)
Leg press 4sets 12reps
leg extention 3sets 15 reps
leg curl 3 sets 15 reps
calf raise 4 sets 20reps
(seated calf raise 4 sets 20 reps) (if present, else do 5 sets calf raise)

note, this is with ascending weights.

ABout the squat:

What dept are you reaching ? How far are you crossing ? Do you bend forward ? what is your feet position ? are your knees extending in the direction your feet are pointing ? are your knees "crashing in" on the way up ? High bar or low bar ? How tall are you ? How flexible are your hip muscles ?
Thanks Zach. I'll look at it properly when I'm sober.
You work out your legs for 1-1.5 hours a day, four days a week?!
Nah, my dick.
How tall are you? Just curious.
6'1"
And I think I can go higher, but the lack of spotter is not helping.
The Amazing Klin

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Race day!! I just had a BAAAM breakfast, pancakes, melon, bananas, cottage cheese berries and nuts.

I am having a coffe now so that I can take a huge dump, what's the secret behind that? @swag

And thank you for all the support, I will do my best to make you all proud.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
And I think I can go higher, but the lack of spotter is not helping.
How many reps on 100kg ?

Cause of a few things.

When you start training, first months/years you'll see progress when just doing an easy pyramid. for example 12*40, 10*60, 8*80, 6*100. Is enough to keep progressing.
For this reason, untill you can squat around 140, there is no reason to do more stressfull stuff like one rep max or multiple worksets on higher weight (4*6*90 for example). It creates unneccecary damage and stress your body doesnt have to deal with yet, and your core isnt ready for eighter.

When doing at least 4 reps, when doing such "increasing weight" instead of "multiple times same weight" or "multiple times same weight with short timed breaks between sets" your muscles will not hit into their fatigue. Therefore, you wont have a perfect first set, and a shocking drop in strenght by the time you hit the 4th.
Therefore, on squat, you wont need a spotter, and on benchpress, even a girl can spot you.

Not joking here, when i did bill star (5x5,example : 5*40,5*60,5*80,5*100,5*120,) i had my girlfriend spot me at benchpressing. If i didnt make set 4 or 5 it was only a handfull of kilograms to get it up. When i did squats i used the safety pins. If you arent making the set, go back down and roll it off your back onto the pins.

With 100kg thats allright, the stress isnt excessive enough to make it a problem

ALso, to many meatheads in a gym that dont know a fuck about a proper spot in squat or benchpress. Only use spotters you trust.

And when it comes to squatting, remember kids. Go deep, or go home

- - - Updated - - -

Race day!! I just had a BAAAM breakfast, pancakes, melon, bananas, cottage cheese berries and nuts.

I am having a coffe now so that I can take a huge dump, what's the secret behind that? @swag

And thank you for all the support, I will do my best to make you all proud.
Your breakfast is bigger then mine. HOW CAN YOU EVEN RUN ON ALL THAT

Coffee contains caffeine, and gastrin. Caffeine when absorbed in the blood, will act as a regulator for the peptide cholecytokinine.

Both gastrin and cholecytokinine, stimulate the contraction of the large intestine. This is what commenly causes the host to release their bowel about 20 minutes after intake.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I took that breakfast at 8.30 and I run around 13.30.

I will only take a banana before the run. I take a huge because it's the only meal I eat before running.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
How many reps on 100kg ?

Cause of a few things.

When you start training, first months/years you'll see progress when just doing an easy pyramid. for example 12*40, 10*60, 8*80, 6*100. Is enough to keep progressing.
For this reason, untill you can squat around 140, there is no reason to do more stressfull stuff like one rep max or multiple worksets on higher weight (4*6*90 for example). It creates unneccecary damage and stress your body doesnt have to deal with yet, and your core isnt ready for eighter.

When doing at least 4 reps, when doing such "increasing weight" instead of "multiple times same weight" or "multiple times same weight with short timed breaks between sets" your muscles will not hit into their fatigue. Therefore, you wont have a perfect first set, and a shocking drop in strenght by the time you hit the 4th.
Therefore, on squat, you wont need a spotter, and on benchpress, even a girl can spot you.

Not joking here, when i did bill star (5x5,example : 5*40,5*60,5*80,5*100,5*120,) i had my girlfriend spot me at benchpressing. If i didnt make set 4 or 5 it was only a handfull of kilograms to get it up. When i did squats i used the safety pins. If you arent making the set, go back down and roll it off your back onto the pins.

With 100kg thats allright, the stress isnt excessive enough to make it a problem

ALso, to many meatheads in a gym that dont know a fuck about a proper spot in squat or benchpress. Only use spotters you trust.

And when it comes to squatting, remember kids. Go deep, or go home

- - - Updated - - -

Your breakfast is bigger then mine. HOW CAN YOU EVEN RUN ON ALL THAT

Coffee contains caffeine, and gastrin. Caffeine when absorbed in the blood, will act as a regulator for the peptide cholecytokinine.

Both gastrin and cholecytokinine, stimulate the contraction of the large intestine. This is what commenly causes the host to release their bowel about 20 minutes after intake.
I do 10 reps with 85, 90, 95 and 100 consecutively.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Did anyone hear about EMS (the fitness thing not the mailing system...)
Did anyone hear experience it? I want to hear about how good is it.. I tried it twice for now and it seems good but twice is not exactly representative

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I do 10 reps with 85, 90, 95 and 100 consecutively.
good good. Now what are the goals you would like to reach, and how much time is between these 4 sets ?

Are you doing leg presses, extentions and curls after the squats ?

Did anyone hear about EMS (the fitness thing not the mailing system...)
Did anyone hear experience it? I want to hear about how good is it.. I tried it twice for now and it seems good but twice is not exactly representative
What is EMS ? Is that the vibrating plates ?

- - - Updated - - -

Just ask someone, people are willing to help.
You need to trust a spotter. I fucking hate getting spotted on a bench when people hold the bar, and i only ask for a spotter on my squats, that knows how to spot it.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
good good. Now what are the goals you would like to reach, and how much time is between these 4 sets ?

Are you doing leg presses, extentions and curls after the squats ?
2 minutes rest approx.

Yeah, I start with squats, leg presses, extensions, curls and finish off with standing calf raises (which I hate because I see no progress at all).

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
2 minutes rest approx.

Yeah, I start with squats, leg presses, extensions, curls and finish off with standing calf raises (which I hate because I see no progress at all).
Good, next questions are : How far are your feet apart, how deep do you go, and i assume its high bar ? Also, how tall are you ?

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Good, next questions are : How far are your feet apart, how deep do you go, and i assume its high bar ? Also, how tall are you ?
I'd say shoulder width far. I don't know how to explain it best, but I feel a pretty big burn in my quads when I'm coming up. 6'1.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I'd say shoulder width far. I don't know how to explain it best, but I feel a pretty big burn in my quads when I'm coming up. 6'1.
Good. Try to make shure when you go back up, that your knee's extend in the direction the feet point, but that you dont cross more then 10 cm. You can cross a bit considering your lenght. Try to make sure you dont "drop" the chest and turn the squat into a half good morning. Since your quads feel the burn, i assume however that these two things are allright.

Hitting dept is important, it adresses the glutes, and gives the quadriceps the full ROM. I assume you can do the squats in front of a mirror (gyms should put a mirror behind a squatrack, so you can judge your form. Both the glutes and the hamstrings should be lower then the kneejoints at the deepest point.

If you are doing that, keep doing what you currently do.

One question tho, is the goal of your leg day increased strenght, or increased muscle size and definition ?

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Its the German system that use electrodes attached to a space outfit you wear
Using the pulses to do exercize which should work on your whole body at once hence shortening the time needed for a workout
Sounds like a gimmick imo. If you're not using your muscles, I don't see how you can be working them out.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Good. Try to make shure when you go back up, that your knee's extend in the direction the feet point, but that you dont cross more then 10 cm. You can cross a bit considering your lenght. Try to make sure you dont "drop" the chest and turn the squat into a half good morning. Since your quads feel the burn, i assume however that these two things are allright.

Hitting dept is important, it adresses the glutes, and gives the quadriceps the full ROM. I assume you can do the squats in front of a mirror (gyms should put a mirror behind a squatrack, so you can judge your form. Both the glutes and the hamstrings should be lower then the kneejoints at the deepest point.

If you are doing that, keep doing what you currently do.

One question tho, is the goal of your leg day increased strenght, or increased muscle size and definition ?
This.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Fuck you all, I will be 40 years old in a couple of months. I have just completed my fifth half marathon with a personal best. Actually, I have improved my time each time I ran.

1.42.52 proud like a cloud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)