Gym and fitness (84 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Any pro tips for balancing arm size? My right arm (bicep/tricep) is noticeably bigger than my left arm (cue jokes), and as such the arm is considerably stronger overall. It's always been that way, obviously I'm right handed and look to it first for any sporting or menial tasks, hence the over reliance (;)).

Currently I'm using 15kg (33lb) dumbbells and leading with the left to fail, then stopping both, even though I can do much more with the right. I assume this is going to take some time to correct?

- - - Updated - - -

I use some that hook over the top and back of the ear, which I've found is the best way for running. I think they are a Philips model.
I'd like to bet that the biceps is about to same, but the triceps is the one thats far bigger. But you dont train triceps in most dumbell excercise.

The key is to train your triceps with isolation excercises, but also compounds. Each barbell excercise must be done equal amount of reps, starting with the weak arm.

On chest day :

Barbell bench press. Dont go higher then the weight that will cause the bar to wankel to the other side.
Incline dumbell press. Full lockout, not the douchebag wanking between shoulders and head. that destroy tendons. FULL RANGE OF MOTION.

On whatever day you focus arms
lying overhead tricep extention (also called "skullcrushers"). Excellent and probably best excercise. Make sure your ellbows stay static, only forearms move, touch forehead and then extent without moving those ellbows. Dont exceed weight where your balance is off.

close grip bench press. You'll hate it. But its excellent. Again, dont exceed weights where you lose balance

Dumbell kickbacks. start with weaker arm. Make sure its quality reps. Dont exceed this number on the stronger arm.

On shoulder day

seated dumbell press. start low, you want good balance in both arms. increase till the balance is really to bad.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'd like to bet that the biceps is about to same, but the triceps is the one thats far bigger. But you dont train triceps in most dumbell excercise.

The key is to train your triceps with isolation excercises, but also compounds. Each barbell excercise must be done equal amount of reps, starting with the weak arm.

On chest day :

Barbell bench press. Dont go higher then the weight that will cause the bar to wankel to the other side.
Incline dumbell press. Full lockout, not the douchebag wanking between shoulders and head. that destroy tendons. FULL RANGE OF MOTION.

On whatever day you focus arms
lying overhead tricep extention (also called "skullcrushers"). Excellent and probably best excercise. Make sure your ellbows stay static, only forearms move, touch forehead and then extent without moving those ellbows. Dont exceed weight where your balance is off.

close grip bench press. You'll hate it. But its excellent. Again, dont exceed weights where you lose balance

Dumbell kickbacks. start with weaker arm. Make sure its quality reps. Dont exceed this number on the stronger arm.

On shoulder day

seated dumbell press. start low, you want good balance in both arms. increase till the balance is really to bad.
Aesthetically it appears to be the other way around, the tricep looks about 9/10 of the size, but the bicep is clearly smaller (6-7/10), it's very noticeable. However, what you say about that in regards to kickbacks makes sense, as my left arm is hopelessly weaker with those than my right, so I should focus on that. It's also similar for my standing dumbbell extension, which suggests tricep weakness.

I actually just started skullcrushers this week :tup: Thanks for the advise.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Aesthetically it appears to be the other way around, the tricep looks about 9/10 of the size, but the bicep is clearly smaller (6-7/10), it's very noticeable. However, what you say about that in regards to kickbacks makes sense, as my left arm is hopelessly weaker with those than my right, so I should focus on that. It's also similar for my standing dumbbell extension, which suggests tricep weakness.

I actually just started skullcrushers this week :tup: Thanks for the advise.
Oh, asthetics. Its why Westside barbell is full of crap, and russian schedules are much better.
The triceps and biceps, you only see a bit of it. There is much you dont see, wich means that you can get the wrong impression.
The ONLY way these problems can be assessed, is by lifting. Looking at the lift, finding the weak point, then correct that weakness by changing the way of the excercise.

Well, thats what powerlifters do that arent +1gram on the juice all the time.

Since you train isolation, its very simple. Try specific bicep and tricep and forearm isolation excercise, and find wich one has an arm lagging behind.
Skullcrushers and benchpress are 2 good ones for triceps. Hammer curls or dumbell concentration/preacher curls are good for biceps.

But its 99% chance that its triceps

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Oh, asthetics. Its why Westside barbell is full of crap, and russian schedules are much better.
The triceps and biceps, you only see a bit of it. There is much you dont see, wich means that you can get the wrong impression.
The ONLY way these problems can be assessed, is by lifting. Looking at the lift, finding the weak point, then correct that weakness by changing the way of the excercise.

Well, thats what powerlifters do that arent +1gram on the juice all the time.

Since you train isolation, its very simple. Try specific bicep and tricep and forearm isolation excercise, and find wich one has an arm lagging behind.
Skullcrushers and benchpress are 2 good ones for triceps. Hammer curls or dumbell concentration/preacher curls are good for biceps.

But its 99% chance that its triceps
I missed this, but thanks :tup: There is a clear weakness in my left tricep, so I've changed my routine to work more on that.

How do you rate Zottman curls?

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
When you are going to run a half marathon the next day, you go to bed before 11 in the evening,

Good night you all.
Good luck with the run @JCK , good attitude aswel :)

I missed this, but thanks :tup: There is a clear weakness in my left tricep, so I've changed my routine to work more on that.

How do you rate Zottman curls?
I like to think of it as an advanced excercise, for the person who focusses on bigger arms in general, but is not using roids.

Its an excercise used to get additional definition, by a simular way as supersets work. Because the set is combining 2 different groups as primarily muscle (biceps up, forearm down), you can take a slightly higher weight for longer reps, and the time for a full ROM is also longer. More volume = more Loading = better.

However, since this is definition, first do the mass bicep excercise or two, then add 1 or 2 definition excercises, and finish with a pump excercise

And offcourse, biceps are a small muscle group, do a big one first. For example "chest+biceps". In such day, after chest do the following :

- Barbell bicep curl. Chose with easy bar, swiss bar, trap bar, olympic bar(20kg), regular straight bar(8kg).. with considerable weight for sets of 12 reps.

- Hammer curls (alternating ofc). Whilst BBC is mostly biceps, hammer curl will allready target forearms as secondary muscle. higher weight for 12 rep sets.

(-alternatively, spider curls also work best. any kind of straightup bicep curl with big weight is a mass builder. But the weight should be able to make the full ROM on every rep. else the weight is to high)

- Zottman curls. 12-15 reps, MAKE SURE THE FORM AND ROM IS RIGHT,SO DONT PICK THE WEIGHT TO HIGH, THIS IS A DEFINITION EXERCISE

- seated incline dumbell bicep curl. Fuck that shit, even better then zottman. such a baws excercise.

- 21's

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Whattt?!?! You skinny dude you?

My squats are still too weak :depresse: I blame it on my hamstrings.
Whilst hamstrings are very active during the squat, they arent the source of power for non geared athletes. Hamstrings are an important part in maintaining rigid form under high stress, but never drive the lift itself. Considering you arent doing singles/doubles/triples at 90+%, you wont really see this issue.

Generally if your squat is weak, its because your quadriceps, lowerback and abs are weak.

From this point on, if you want better definition and bigger legs, do loads of isolation such as leg curl, leg extention, calf raises and decline leg press after your squats.

If you want a stronger squat, squat more volume per week.

- - - Updated - - -

If you give me your bodyweight, squatmax, leg extention max, leg curl max and what you can handle on the hyper extention , along with the time you generally spend in the gym per week, i can suggest a schedule to improve.

You can post it here or send me in pm

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Whilst hamstrings are very active during the squat, they arent the source of power for non geared athletes. Hamstrings are an important part in maintaining rigid form under high stress, but never drive the lift itself. Considering you arent doing singles/doubles/triples at 90+%, you wont really see this issue.

Generally if your squat is weak, its because your quadriceps, lowerback and abs are weak.

From this point on, if you want better definition and bigger legs, do loads of isolation such as leg curl, leg extention, calf raises and decline leg press after your squats.

If you want a stronger squat, squat more volume per week.

- - - Updated - - -

If you give me your bodyweight, squatmax, leg extention max, leg curl max and what you can handle on the hyper extention , along with the time you generally spend in the gym per week, i can suggest a schedule to improve.

You can post it here or send me in pm
My bodyweight is 79.3 kg.

On last squat set of 6, I do 175 lb (79.3) - coincidentally my bodyweight

Don't do leg extensions ever since I heard they're bad for the knees. But leg press up to 540lb (254kg)

Can't say for leg curl because I only just started doing them again, because they are really uncomfortable. I could never position myself properly. But I started back because I was concerned my hams were too weak.

Hyperextension, I do 15x4 90lb (40.8kg)

Normally 1 - 1.5 hours, 4 days a week.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

Don't do leg extensions ever since I heard they're bad for the knees. But leg press up to 540lb (254kg)

Can't say for leg curl because I only just started doing them again, because they are really uncomfortable. I could never position myself properly. But I started back because I was concerned my hams were too weak.

Allways interesting to hear whats the latest crap they tell to people to scare them away from leg exercise.
Dont worry, leg extentions good for the knees, especially when done right. They are an isolation excercise for the quadriceps, and a pretty good one. Key is to extend with force, and decent back in a slower fashion.
You have to do leg extentions, because you will need to increase size and strenght of your quads, the true powermuscle.

I've had problems on curls cause i have a metal plate in my bone just above the ankle in the right leg. However, positionning helps here. Make sure your kneediscs are about 2-3centimeters below the corner of the bench you are lying on. like this you rest on your quads, and the knee can move without interruption. Set the machine in such way that the cussion at your feet is slightly above the heel, around the ankle. grab the handles under the bench firmly and raise your chest slightly off.
Its adviced that you begin with lower weights, and work your way up. Tell me if you have problems positionning well, and what the exact issue is.

Hyperextentions are fine. You need to keep that lower back strong.

Leg press is good. Is it a horizontal , or decline press ? ?

At 80kg you got a lot of progression left in the tank. I would advice the regular leg day :

Full squat 4sets : 12-10-8-6 (reps)
Leg press 4sets 12reps
leg extention 3sets 15 reps
leg curl 3 sets 15 reps
calf raise 4 sets 20reps
(seated calf raise 4 sets 20 reps) (if present, else do 5 sets calf raise)

note, this is with ascending weights.

ABout the squat:

What dept are you reaching ? How far are you crossing ? Do you bend forward ? what is your feet position ? are your knees extending in the direction your feet are pointing ? are your knees "crashing in" on the way up ? High bar or low bar ? How tall are you ? How flexible are your hip muscles ?

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

How tall are you? Just curious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 81)