Gym and fitness (20 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Zach which brand of whey isolate do you use?
I use a housebrand of a closeby holland company.

http://www.xxlnutrition.nl/whey-isolaat/xxl-nutrition

the version without taste, 93% protein

Like allways, i dont really care for brands, its all about the ingredients.

good whey isolate is at most 1% fat and 2% carbs.

The amino acid profile, is the one that you would ideally expect.

i buy them in packages of 10 kilogram each 6 months, so the price per kilogram is 16 euros, wich is extremely cheap.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
holy crap! 93%.. what the...
and you drink this... 4 times a day? everyday or just the days you work out
on training days, on an offday i replace the "22h" one by another chicken meal

I'm on a progressive powerlifting schedule for about 6 months now, and i feel a big diffrence when i strickly follow this diet, then when i slack and take less shakes (during exams)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Disagreed, i do that for 2 years now and its relatively easy, here is my foot schedule

8-10h : 50 grams whey isolate + 20grams oat

12-14h: 250 grams of chicken with 100 grams of pasta or 250 gram of potatoes

18h: 50 grams of whey isolate + 50 grams of oat

22h : 50 grams of whey isolate (this is straight after training)

01h : 50 grams of regular whey in 250 grams of volle plattekaas
I have an idea. Post your picture and lets see your results and how your body reflected to that massive amounts of protein. Then, after, I who doesn't give a fuck what protein manufacturers say how you must take 1 or 2 grams per pound of body weight, post my picture.

5-6 meals per day is pure bullshit.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I have an idea. Post your picture and lets see your results and how your body reflected to that massive amounts of protein. Then, after, I who doesn't give a fuck what protein manufacturers say how you must take 1 or 2 grams per pound of body weight, post my picture.

5-6 meals per day is pure bullshit.
I dont train for shape and definition, i train for power

i can put a picture, wich shows that i beefed up quite a bit, yet there is no definition.

however, i can tell you my progression in weights

december 2011, iirc :

bench press : 4*100kg
squat : 2*140kg
military press : 3*60
deadlift : 4*160
machine row : 5*100

mid july 2012

bench press : 5*120 / 3*125 kg
squat : 5*157.5 kg
military press : 5*75kg, that is standing, without using legs for a punch, pure from shoulders, else i'd be over 100kg for a rep or 3
deadlift : 5*195kg
machine row : 5*over 120, switched to barbel row, currently progressing at 5*80kg, body horizontal, no yates rows

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
5-6 meals isn't bull really Dule, but the amount of supps intake Zac mentioned above is really a concern!

Where is the food in that schedule?!

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
300 grams of protein and 1200 calories only from that is useless however you look at it. Your body won't build any extra muscle because you eat so much protein, as it does breaks down and turns into fat. It should be 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat and there is no way that your 30% of protein contains 300 grams of protein. You did gain strength but it doesn't have to mean you couldn't do the same with less protein, or with less fat, because considering your amounts of food I'd say you're overweight, Zac.

---------- Post added 12.07.2012 at 13:17 ----------

5-6 meals isn't bull really Dule, but the amount of supps intake Zac mentioned above is really a concern!

Where is the food in that schedule?!
Having 3 means with one snack and having 9 means won't make any difference whatsoever when it comes to the results AS LONG as you take in your required calories (carbs, proteins, fats). It just doesn't make any sense too. It's just a stupid myth.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
You don't have to be fat to be into powerlifghting. There are some skinny motherfuckers who can bench my weight x 5. And it's usually one one rep max, but you know what, that shit ain't gonna build no muscle.

Seriously, people are obsessed with size, but they don't get to realize it's FAT. And when they go on a cutting phase they all cry 'oh I lose tons of muscle'.. no you didn't, you lost tons of fat.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
I have a rather stupid question but was wondering if someone maybe had some suggestion. Let me start out by saying that I Love Beer and Wine. Let me follow that up by saying that I'm not fat but I've increased my size to agree I can not find myself to stay in. So for the past weeks I've started to work-out every two days and the other days I go out and run between 5-10 km depending on how tired my legs are. Every now and then I powerwalk as well if I feel that it won't tire me out. So about every two-three days I guess I go out and walk as well. I've also started to take long strolls just walking every now and then but without any tempo, just strolling. I've cut down on snacks and I eat more properly. When I'm working out I drink Xtend. I'm giving you all of this information so that if you'll respond me you'll know where I am. Anyhow, I'm really small, only 1.70m in height but I've always weighed around 67 kg's even when I worked out a lot as I was younger. But the past years I haven't worked out anything, what, so, ever and really lost myself. Before a few weeks ago I weighed myself and found out I was 74 kg which caused me to start working out. Now it looks like I'm back to 70-71 kg and I will continue to work in the same pace to get into at least some form of shape. I'm not looking to become really strong but fit and reduce the amount of body fat. The only thing I really miss is the alcohol which I've tried to stay away from because I know that someone in my shape should stay away from it to some extent. My concern is how many and often you'd say I could enjoy my beer? Because I'm so out of shape every time I look at the beer I only see all days hard work just go to waste for one simple pleasure. Am I making a big fuzz over nothing or is this something I should be concerned and if so to what degree? Any ideas would be much appreciated although I understand the unclarity of my "question/s".

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
You don't have to be fat to be into powerlifghting. There are some skinny motherfuckers who can bench my weight x 5. And it's usually one one rep max, but you know what, that shit ain't gonna build no muscle.

Seriously, people are obsessed with size, but they don't get to realize it's FAT. And when they go on a cutting phase they all cry 'oh I lose tons of muscle'.. no you didn't, you lost tons of fat.
I am obsessed with power, not definition or measurements of muscles.

my desire is to have a squat 1rm over 240 kg, a bench 1rm over 160kg, and a deadlift 1rm over 300kg whilst staying in the -110kg cathegory

Fryday 20th my 24 week progressive schedule comes at an end, and i will need to deload and go into cutting to be closer to 100kg again.
i'll be checking what 5rm's i can keep, lower the weight by 2.5%, add in cardio again, and lower my nutrition by 15-20%.

I really hope i'll lose some bulk, cause my upper legs and trapezuis are getting oversized.

edit : one more thing, since i allow my bodyweight to go up 8 kilograms while increasing power, i havent had a single injury or staying pain, apart from my lower back that is getting on its limits. it helped my progress alot

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Having 3 means with one snack and having 9 means won't make any difference whatsoever when it comes to the results AS LONG as you take in your required calories (carbs, proteins, fats). It just doesn't make any sense too. It's just a stupid myth.
That's exactly it, you need to get your required nutrition, and spreading it out to a degree I think helps the body process it more appropriately, than if you ate two huge meals where you overload yourself (especially if you're not exercising at all).

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
I have a rather stupid question but was wondering if someone maybe had some suggestion. Let me start out by saying that I Love Beer and Wine. Let me follow that up by saying that I'm not fat but I've increased my size to agree I can not find myself to stay in. So for the past weeks I've started to work-out every two days and the other days I go out and run between 5-10 km depending on how tired my legs are. Every now and then I powerwalk as well if I feel that it won't tire me out. So about every two-three days I guess I go out and walk as well. I've also started to take long strolls just walking every now and then but without any tempo, just strolling. I've cut down on snacks and I eat more properly. When I'm working out I drink Xtend. I'm giving you all of this information so that if you'll respond me you'll know where I am. Anyhow, I'm really small, only 1.70m in height but I've always weighed around 67 kg's even when I worked out a lot as I was younger. But the past years I haven't worked out anything, what, so, ever and really lost myself. Before a few weeks ago I weighed myself and found out I was 74 kg which caused me to start working out. Now it looks like I'm back to 70-71 kg and I will continue to work in the same pace to get into at least some form of shape. I'm not looking to become really strong but fit and reduce the amount of body fat. The only thing I really miss is the alcohol which I've tried to stay away from because I know that someone in my shape should stay away from it to some extent. My concern is how many and often you'd say I could enjoy my beer? Because I'm so out of shape every time I look at the beer I only see all days hard work just go to waste for one simple pleasure. Am I making a big fuzz over nothing or is this something I should be concerned and if so to what degree? Any ideas would be much appreciated although I understand the unclarity of my "question/s".
I think you're doing well to try and cut down most of the time, but you shouldn't deny yourself beer completely if it's something you enjoy. Especially as, as you said, you're not training to be really strong or competitive or anything, the occasional beer is not going to pack on more pounds or ruin your regime.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
That's not a bad question at all IMO.

Ok here's what I think. Considering your goals are not to be super elite or a fitness model, I think you can afford occasional beer or wine, but even then you should seriously try to limit it as much as possible. How do you enjoy that wine? Is it like drinking a couple of glasses or getting wasted on regular bases? Look, there are some people who drink shitload of alcohol over the weekend and hit the gym on Monday, where they lift strong as they've never lifted before. It does spike your insulin level so you'd have a lot of energy (if you're not hungover really), so it's not that bad to taste it every now and then. On the other hand, I don't recommend drinking very often, especially if you're working out as it does kill a lot of your progress because alcohol does reduces your HGH, or your testosteron levels. Have this in mind - you will start gaining weight when you make a caloric surplus. In other words, you may as well enjoy beer but you will have to cut out your meals and take less calories from food. Also, have in mind that 1h of gym probably burns like 1 beer that's inside you. Beer, or any alcohol actually, is bad because it contains a lot of calories with it has zero nutrition. I'd personally suggest to say away from it as much as you can, but having an occasional drink won't wipe out your progress.

---------- Post added 12.07.2012 at 15:05 ----------

what's the easiest way to get rid of muffin-top? :D
Eat less, have less caloric intakes and workout to make all of that easier.

There's no exercises that burns fat on a specific location, it all goes down proportional. So the only way to do that is to lose weight generally and that can either be done by eating less, or increasing your activity level (working out). But majority of the attention should go on your diet at this point.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
the problem with beer is that if you drink it in the evening, all the alcohol will be converted into fat.

second problem is that alcohol is hepatoxic, so its pretty heavy on the liver.

having that said, my sisters boyfriend, a benchpress fanatic, weights about 80 kilograms and benchpresses like 2*145kg with legs in the air. He often slings over a huge amount of beer.

its all about genetics, he has a massively good liver.

Oh, and the biggest myth in fitness and diets is indeed that "you can burn fat in specific locations"
its indeed impossible, and you would be amazed at the percentage that believes it.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
That's not a bad question at all IMO.

Ok here's what I think. Considering your goals are not to be super elite or a fitness model, I think you can afford occasional beer or wine, but even then you should seriously try to limit it as much as possible. How do you enjoy that wine? Is it like drinking a couple of glasses or getting wasted on regular bases? Look, there are some people who drink $#@!load of alcohol over the weekend and hit the gym on Monday, where they lift strong as they've never lifted before. It does spike your insulin level so you'd have a lot of energy (if you're not hungover really), so it's not that bad to taste it every now and then. On the other hand, I don't recommend drinking very often, especially if you're working out as it does kill a lot of your progress because alcohol does reduces your HGH, or your testosteron levels. Have this in mind - you will start gaining weight when you make a caloric surplus. In other words, you may as well enjoy beer but you will have to cut out your meals and take less calories from food. Also, have in mind that 1h of gym probably burns like 1 beer that's inside you. Beer, or any alcohol actually, is bad because it contains a lot of calories with it has zero nutrition. I'd personally suggest to say away from it as much as you can, but having an occasional drink won't wipe out your progress.
Thanks for response @Kate as well. I don't drink that much but do (did) enjoy a glass of wine every now and then. I usually don't drink that much and very, very seldomly drink enough to become drunk. It makes sense of what you're both saying and I think for the oncoming weeks until I've reached a certain level of fitness I'll try to limit the alcohol intake as well. Because honestly, 1h of gym for one beer really kills the spirit and the pleasure of the beer. :D But to follow up, right now I'm trying to cut down on the calories and so on and once I'm back in shape I'll continue to stay in shape and eat more healthier. But would you say that there would be any difference between now and then in intake of alcohol? Now I need to stay away from it because of the percentage of body fat but once it has decreased can I return to drinking during weekends but perhaps less (like in total 2-3 glass of wine/3-4 beers per week). Is it too much or is it reasonable? I don't want to deny myself but on the other hand I deny myself from grabbing random girls butts and boobs on a daily basis and feel OK with it. I guess I could be OK with that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)