Gym and fitness (16 Viewers)

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
I'm considering switching my work outs to early morning instead of in the evenings... Now, I generally can't eat much right after getting out of bed... Whats the minimum intake of food I must take before working out? And what should ideally be the time between my meal and the time I start working out?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Nothing is a must, so you can workout on an empty stomach as well (which is even better if you're doing abs). And cardio too is better when you're doing it early.

It's the number of calories that count during the day. If you eat 300 calories in the morning you're going to burn it all.

But from my personal experience, I don't eat an hour before workouts because it makes it harder for me and it makes me sick. :p

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
DO NOT listen to this man,eating nothing is counter productive

yes,i know he has abs but so do almost malnourished children right before their belly balloons outwards.

on that note i went out for my first run/jog/fast walk of the year yesterday,having not been able to cycle for 6 weeks due to snow and ice my cardio fitness is shite and my muscles are pissed at me today

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Nothing is a must, so you can workout on an empty stomach as well (which is even better if you're doing abs). And cardio too is better when you're doing it early.
That is ridiculous Dooz. Not even early morning cardio, you shoud at least have some fruit before you go. Weight lifting on an empty stomach is not only non-productive, it's downright dangerous.

Kidtaf

May 20, 2009
icεmαή;2824136 said:
I'm considering switching my work outs to early morning instead of in the evenings... Now, I generally can't eat much right after getting out of bed... Whats the minimum intake of food I must take before working out? And what should ideally be the time between my meal and the time I start working out?
what do you consider a " work out " ? I mean cardio, lifting, some martial arts, abs, pilates?

if you're going to do an all around cardio/lifting workout, I'd go with a nice fruit/protein powder shake that isn't as big as a meal replacement ( 300 cals ) about 30-45 min before your workout and then be sure to restore your glycogen levels WITHIN an hour after you completed your work out..

if you're just doing cardio, I'd go with a slow burning carb such as oatmeal mixed with some protein to keep me going during my routine. ( I also like to use the liquid based gatorade performance 01 drink as I noticed it helped me get through that last bit of the work out easier )

if you're going with straight lifting, then have a banana/protein shake and a handful of nuts to get you going an hour before and another shake or carb/glycogen/protein replacement within an hour after, ( peanut butter sandwich, greek yogurt with nuts )

I usually eat nothing when doing abs ( like dooz said ) simply because if you're doing them right you'll get a wicked stomach ache if you don't give it enough time to settle in your stomach BUT I do take in liquid carb/protein for energy.. I't comes down to personal choice as well.. I know people who can't eat anything before a workout because 30 min into a hard cardio routine, its coming out. I also know people who " fuel " up immediately after while only having a light snack to give them that little boost before. I used to not eat anything before a workout simple because I train hard, very hard and I rely on liquid carbs/protein to help me get through and then I eat breakfast within 30 min ( NO FATS! )

Apr 15, 2006
I've been thinking about this quite a lot and have decided to hit the gym for general fitness, flatten my belly and work on my chest and shoulders. But before hitting the gym, do you guys think I should start warming up with a bit of jogging and running? I haven't exercised regularly for a LONG time.

Kidtaf

May 20, 2009
I've been thinking about this quite a lot and have decided to hit the gym for general fitness, flatten my belly and work on my chest and shoulders. But before hitting the gym, do you guys think I should start warming up with a bit of jogging and running? I haven't exercised regularly for a LONG time.
Like a warm up before your workout or to get your body back into a routine?

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Yep do cardio before you work on your muscles

Kidtaf

May 20, 2009
Like a routine. Cos I haven't exercised in ages. So maybe jogging everyday for 2-3 weeks before hitting the gym might be good.

what do you plan on doing in the gym? I mean, if you haven't been to the gym in awhile I wouldn't recommend just rushing back into a routine like I would after a break ( 2-3 weeks ) I would consider getting back into it gradually. If you're gonna get into a routine, start slow but make sure that you start challenging yourself, set a goal and increase it every 2-3 days ( not drastically of course ) only you know your body and how much it can withstand so set a nice pace where you get your heart pumping and hold it for as long as you physically can ( forget mentally because I can quit after 5 miles because I get bored but my body can keep going ) and then after 2-3 days add a little more to your distance.

after a nice break ( 3 1/2 weeks ) I'm ready to go back and get ready for this summer. I have 5 months to reach summer goals which should be just what I need including 1 rest period. I have to cut the final 20-25lbs of fat and get more defined. I'm putting the final touches on my diet and my work out routine and mentally I'm ready for this challenge ahead of me.

Apr 15, 2006
Man, I didn't know it was so complicated. The last time I was in a gym was 3 years ago, and I could only work out for 1 week. This is basically starting from scratch. That's why I wanna start slow with some basic running. I might chalk up a proper routine once I join the gym. But for now, nothing is planned.

Kidtaf

May 20, 2009
Man, I didn't know it was so complicated. The last time I was in a gym was 3 years ago, and I could only work out for 1 week. This is basically starting from scratch. That's why I wanna start slow with some basic running. I might chalk up a proper routine once I join the gym. But for now, nothing is planned.
I'm sorry if you think that what I posted was complicated, all I was saying was that to get into a good routine you should do it gradually since you haven't been in the gym in years ( which is basically what you were saying, start slow ) but you wont get anywhere running the same pace for the same distance for the same amount of time. You need to challenge your body to get/see results.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Ok, it's time to gain some mass, any suggestion about work-out program? I've read a lot about many different programs but I'm still unsure which one to use. I'm planning to work-out three times per week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)