Gym and fitness (44 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Never :stuckup:

I feel I'm getting a better definition, especially when it comes to chest and shoulders. I'm happy how it's going since I added bench press and some more stuff. I need to buy more weights though. I can lift my weight from a bench press so since I started I've increased the weights for almost 30kg. But the more important thing is that I can do flies with 16-18kg dumbbells. :agree:

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Never :stuckup:

I feel I'm getting a better definition, especially when it comes to chest and shoulders. I'm happy how it's going since I added bench press and some more stuff. I need to buy more weights though. I can lift my weight from a bench press so since I started I've increased the weights for almost 30kg. But the more important thing is that I can do flies with 16-18kg dumbbells. :agree:
So you can lift the barbell now? :p

16-18kg in each hand for flies? That' pretty hard...you're either not wasting yourself enough before that or you're doing something wrong(maybe cheating by using biceps). That exercise is done in the end to stretch the muscles and hit that last fibre and is generally done with light weights and high repetitions. Conidering you don't bench heavy, I don't know why you're using such a heavy dumbell for flies....I see guys twice my size using 16kg and less dumbells.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Yeah, I have many choices now and I like it :D

I do with 16 in each hand, yea. I don't really think I cheat and it's the best exercise for me. It kills my chest much more than bench press. When I do incline flies then I use lower weights as that's harder for moa. Benching 65kg with my 69 is hard, at least for me :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Yeah, I have many choices now and I like it :D

I do with 16 in each hand, yea. I don't really think I cheat and it's the best exercise for me. It kills my chest much more than bench press. When I do incline flies then I use lower weights as that's harder for moa. Benching 65kg with my 69 is hard, at least for me :D
You are so weird. :p

Kidtaf

May 20, 2009
I took 10 days off and started again this week. Man I love the pump you get after taking a break, nothing like it. Can't wait for chest/biceps tomorrow. But legs on Friday. :scared:
I know exactly what you mean and I love it too. After a 1 1/2 month break I went back hard and thanks to " Muscle Memory " and overall determination I'm 70% back to where I was ( muscle wise ) and cut 3 lbs in 2 weeks. The only problem is I hate, hate, fight training but most fighters do ( ones that really train anyway ) shit, I'm still sore from stamina/cardio/form training lol I'm counting the days.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
I have 0 motivation. Supposed to get in Police Academy next year. My fitness sucks as hell. Good luck with that False Melo :lol:
this sounds like a job for VInman

@Dusan-no wonder you are always miserable,you don't eat properly and you don't exercise properly.

man my triceps are killing me today

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Essentially that's true but it's not the main reason why he never smiles.
i aint in the best shape but i am working on it and i do have a decent idea of what constitutes good nutrition and am confident of reaching my goals.

Dusan seems to be in decent shape in spite of his nutritional and exercise habits

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
this sounds like a job for VInman

@Dusan-no wonder you are always miserable,you don't eat properly and you don't exercise properly.

man my triceps are killing me today
That's just what you think and I have no plans to prove you or anybody else for that matter wrong.

I build muscles and my results so far are great. But you can think whatever you want really.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
if you adapted your training slightly you might end up with even better gains and less risk of seriously injuring yourself

just saying man

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I know exactly what you mean and I love it too. After a 1 1/2 month break I went back hard and thanks to " Muscle Memory " and overall determination I'm 70% back to where I was ( muscle wise ) and cut 3 lbs in 2 weeks. The only problem is I hate, hate, fight training but most fighters do ( ones that really train anyway ) shit, I'm still sore from stamina/cardio/form training lol I'm counting the days.
Yeah muscle memory rocks.

That's just what you think and I have no plans to prove you or anybody else for that matter wrong.

I build muscles and my results so far are great. But you can think whatever you want really.
No one is saying you aren't or is trying to belittle your progress, but what we say stands. You're doing some things wrong and if you'd make minor changes you'd definitely see much better gains. You're young, obviously have a great metabolism and could really make enormous advances with a little change here and there.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
But that's the thing, how can you or Bozi know that I'm doing stuff wrong? Because I do high weights on flies? That's bullshit, it's like I tell you how you do everything wrong when I have no idea how your program even looks.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

But that's the thing, how can you or Bozi know that I'm doing stuff wrong? Because I do high weights on flies? That's bullshit, it's like I tell you how you do everything wrong when I have no idea how your program even looks.
Ask Deneb, Vinman, Lion or any experienced gym goer you know. Flies can not be your main chest building exercise. That's a finishing, isolation exercise. The press is the main muscle builder for chest, same as squat is for legs. If bench pressing doesn't waste your chest muscles you're either not using enough weight or you're doing something wrong.

Another thing is using serious weight on flies has potential to lead to shoulder damage.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Ask Deneb, Vinman, Lion or any experienced gym goer you know. Flies can not be your main chest building exercise. That's a finishing, isolation exercise. The press is the main muscle builder for chest, same as squat is for legs. If bench pressing doesn't waste your chest muscles you're either not using enough weight or you're doing something wrong.

Another thing is using serious weight on flies has potential to lead to shoulder damage.
I never said press doesn't effect my chest because it does, I just said that I find flies more effective.

It's a fact that exercises effect people differently. Some get their triceps bulked up after a bench press, while some hit shoulders. Yes, some exercises do work differently on people. If you and I hit the bench press or even same program we're not going to look the same so yeah, I think high weights flies really kill my chest.

The same Deneb you mentioned told once that I should hit 20kg for flies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Exercises affect people differently because of activation patterns. When going into a squat for example most people will usually virtually only their quads. Why is this? Because they're in a seated position most of the day and their hip flexors and quads are shortened. This puts the glutes and hamstrings in a lengthened position. The result? You're not squatting properly. Same thing happens with other exercises. Lots of people have pecs that overpower the upper back muscles. This is not a good thing. You also have a lot of lifters who want to be doing rows, but turn it into some sort of biceps exercise. Exercises affects people differently, but that's only because they're not using the muscles they should be using to lift.

Now as to whether or not you're one of those people.. I can't tell. I've never seen you lift, I don't know what your physique looks like.

A serious risk of hurting the shoulder doing flies, V? Well, there's a huge risk hurting your shoulder when bench pressing. I agree, if you want to build your chest, the bench press is your go to exercise, but it has a huge potential for messing up your shoulders. A much bigger potential than flies.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

And I didn't say you shouldn't hit flies, flies are great, I do them to. I said if you can do flies with 18kg in each hand, than you didn't push yourself enough on the bench press, which should be your focus. You bench 65kg and do flies with basically half that weight. Try adding 10kg to your bench and go for 4 sets of 6 repetitions(if you can do that easy, add more weight), after that do dumbell incline with the max weight you can for 3 sets of 8 repetition. And if you still can do flies with 18kg in each hand for 12 repetitions than hats off to you.

Deneb said to use 20kg in both hands for flies? With your weight of 69kg? That's crazy.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Exercises affects people differently, but that's only because they're not using the muscles they should be using to lift.
Well I can't agree with this. I've heard pro people say how it effects them differently while they do the exact same exercises and how they use the exact same arm position (in this case bench press). One got his chest and should worked up and the other got chest and triceps more. I'm not talking about amateurs. It's just how it goes, there's no way us two can build the same muscles with same exercises.

And I didn't say you shouldn't hit flies, flies are great, I do them to. I said if you can do flies with 18kg in each hand, than you didn't push yourself enough on the bench press, which should be your focus. You bench 65kg and do flies with basically half that weight. Try adding 10kg to your bench and go for 4 sets of 6 repetitions(if you can do that easy, add more weight), after that do dumbell incline with the max weight you can for 3 sets of 8 repetition. And if you still can do flies with 18kg in each hand for 12 repetitions than hats off to you.

Deneb said to use 20kg in both hands for flies? With your weight of 69kg? That's crazy.
But 65 for bench press was my limit, I can't add more really. I find it very hard to do it... I didn't feel that big exhaustion for flies. After it I did flies with 16kg. I can't with 18 after bench press.

Maybe he didn't take into consideration my weight, but he said I should be bench pressing 75-80 (IIRC) and 20 with flies. And he said when I do that I'll be adding mass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)