Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The only good thing about it is that they are suited to Italian football. If we buy them when they're proven in Serie A, unlike Diego who came from Germany and wasn't suited to Italian football.
But that sort of view is pretty arrogant, really. Some of our biggest bust players have been bought from other Serie A teams, players WITH loads of Serie A experience, so to be honest this is a huge propagated myth that isn't really based on anything. If the player is good he will succeed no matter what league he's in, as long as he gets a proper chance.

People here HATE Premier League fans for being arrogant, hate the English national team, et cetera. But the same sort of league arrogance is seen in Serie A fans, unfortunately.

Sep 20, 2010
But that sort of view is pretty arrogant, really. Some of our biggest bust players have been bought from other Serie A teams, players WITH loads of Serie A experience, so to be honest this is a huge propagated myth that isn't really based on anything. If the player is good he will succeed no matter what league he's in, as long as he gets a proper chance.

People here HATE Premier League fans for being arrogant, hate the English national team, et cetera. But the same sort of league arrogance is seen in Serie A fans, unfortunately.
Sure it's not a certainty that Serie A players would better succeed as foreign player. But, I just like it more to see that most of the selection is Italian. And that's not only at Juventus.. A few years back Arsenal had only one (maybe 2/3) English player in there selection. I'm just not a big fan of that.

And it seems to me it would make a difference if you know the language and the competition.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009

It certainly is arrogant, also ignorant imo. But then again Marotta is the guy who hires 25 scouts and stations 20 of them in Italy and 1 in the Netherlands.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Boo hoo. We buy most of our players from Serie A anyway, pretty much always have, so it's obvious that the most successes and flops will be in that category. Thinking off the top of my head I'm willing to bet that more of our non-Serie A buys have flopped as a percentage, but it depends on the team role.

What isn't important is that they come from Serie A, it's that they fit the model and style of the team. If they happen to come from Italian football, well.....it's hardly surprising is it. Clearly others here know more about assembling a team, it's been said a million times but the progress we make as a team dictates whether it is working and everything else is just a matter of opinion, simple.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Again, Inter is one of the best teams in Europe and they have no sort of consistency with regards to languages spoken or where they buy players from. They are doing just fine. It's up to the likes of JuveJay and the rest of the bandwagoners to prove why we must buy players from Serie A and why we must buy players who can speak Italian.

But they can't prove that doing so will turn us into a better team because Inter has already proven them wrong. End of story.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Again, Inter is one of the best teams in Europe and they have no sort of consistency with regards to languages spoken or where they buy players from. They are doing just fine. It's up to the likes of JuveJay and the rest of the bandwagoners to prove why we must buy players from Serie A and why we must buy players who can speak Italian.

But they can't prove that doing so will turn us into a better team because Inter has already proven them wrong. End of story.
:tup:

Done dealed that shiz Andy....

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
I'm not entirely dissatisfied with Marotta. He has brought down the average age, and the wages. I just do not know why Diego and Giovinco both had to leave.. And why don't we have Criscito? Now we are fucked up with De Ceglie and Traore.. Both have a lack of defensing skills. He could at least tried to get Bocchetti. At the other side, i'm happy with players like Krasic, Bonucci and Quagliarella.

It's also good to see that management prefer to purchase Serie A players. I think Marotta could help Juve to the Scudetto!

FORZA JUVE! :scarf:
We need to sell Criscito in case we want to get the other half of Bonucci from Genoa.. About Diego, that because Marotta see that Quag is more suit into DN plans so he sell Diego and sign Quag

Yes, one thing i regret is about Gio, but the way Gio moan about Juve and the chance of playing he get, i think it can be a wise decision from Marotta.. Gio definitely won't get to play every week while we have Krasic at RW, Pepe at LW, and DP/Quag or even Martinez at SS ready to play. Let's wait until this season end and look at how Gio perform at Parma

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008

Plus serie A players prices are pretty inflated whenever a big club like Juve buys them from other serie A clubs (we've already overpaid for many in the past 4 years).

IMO buying serie A proven players made sense 10 years ago when the league was the best in Europe by far, now though it doesn't.

Sooo many foreign players have came from other leagues and settled just fine in serie A in the past 5-6 years (pato, krasic, Pastore, jovetic, etoo, sneijder, Maicon...).

I had a bet just this summer that Hernanes (the lazio player) would be a hit in this league and the guy absolutely toyed with Fiorentina players the other day. It took the guy less than a month to show his class (same with pato, krasic, sneijder and the rest).

The whole :gsol: serie A proven players :gsol: is an old myth that people keep repeating over and over again.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Juventus Director Giuseppe Marotta Admits Milos Krasic Deal Was 'A Bargain'

Juventus sporting director Giuseppe Marotta says that for the price the side paid, winger Milos Krasic was "a bargain".

The 25-year-old came across to the Bianconeri from CSKA Moscow for approximately €15 million, and is a player for the future.

"He [Krasic] was a bargain. For what we paid, Krasic is a person for the present and the future," Marotta said to SkySport.

Marotta explained that the process behind certain transfers this summer was to build a champion team, and not a team of individual stars.

"There are two roads that can be taken on the market: you can get one or two stars, or you can try to find a group of players who are less important, but can gel to form a strong team.

"The latter is what we aimed for, and we shall do the same in the future," he concluded.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/ital...tor-giuseppe-marotta-admits-milos-krasic-deal

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Juventus Director Giuseppe Marotta Admits Milos Krasic Deal Was 'A Bargain'

Juventus sporting director Giuseppe Marotta says that for the price the side paid, winger Milos Krasic was "a bargain".

The 25-year-old came across to the Bianconeri from CSKA Moscow for approximately €15 million, and is a player for the future.

"He [Krasic] was a bargain. For what we paid, Krasic is a person for the present and the future," Marotta said to SkySport.

Marotta explained that the process behind certain transfers this summer was to build a champion team, and not a team of individual stars.

"There are two roads that can be taken on the market: you can get one or two stars, or you can try to find a group of players who are less important, but can gel to form a strong team.

"The latter is what we aimed for, and we shall do the same in the future," he concluded.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/ital...tor-giuseppe-marotta-admits-milos-krasic-deal
Oh, thats disappointing to hear. Why the fuck do we despise star players? Whats wrong with having star players on your team? And what happens if this team with the less important players isn't even close to the Scudetto or god forbid doesn't even make it to the CL?(And if we do make it, we're not strong enough anyway) Do we still go out and sign 4-5 average players?

They should stop fucking around and aim higher next time.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
Oh, thats disappointing to hear. Why the fuck do we despise star players? Whats wrong with having star players on your team? And what happens if this team with the less important players isn't even close to the Scudetto or god forbid doesn't even make it to the CL?(And if we do make it, we're not strong enough anyway) Do we still go out and sign 4-5 average players?

Best to leave Giovinco at Parma then by your logic, considering he's average.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

:lol: What simple minded bullshit, but I'll humour you, as it seems you don't have anything else to add.

We don't have a world class coach
We don't have the pulling power (maybe money) for a world class coach, that has been made clear over the last 3 years
We don't have the money to make the signings Inter do
We don't have the pulling power to sign the caliber of players Inter do from overseas
We no longer have the monopoly on the better young players and standouts from previous Serie A seasons
We haven't signed just Italian players
We haven't signed just Serie A players
We do have to sign hungry players who are either on the younger side or who come from smaller clubs or leagues
We do have to develope those players
We will make mistakes because of that

Most of Inter's recent buys come from Serie A, fact. Need I even remind people about how successful Inter's overseas purchasing spree was prior to Farsopoli? Apparently I do :lol: But sure, Inter are our role model here. Inter did well because they had a world class coach and top class players who suited that coach or who he could otherwise mould into his setup. Players with incredible experience, especially in Serie A, but also the overseas signings they did make were of the caliber of Eto'o, Sneijder and Lucio, the type of massively experienced players playing for top sides that we have NO CHANCE of signing. Everything about Inter is experience.

Inter's basic 2009-10 squad:

Francesco Toldo
Ivan Cordoba
Javier Zanetti
Dejan Stankovic

Lucio
Ricardo Quaresma
Thiago Motta
Samuel Eto'o
Wesley Sneijder
Sulley Muntari
Julio Cesar
Maicon
Rene Krhin
McDonald Mariga
Esteban Cambiasso
Diego Milito
Marco Materazzi
Walter Samuel
Cristian Chivu
Goran Pandev
Davide Santon
Mario Balotelli

All the players bolded are either Italian and/or experienced in Serie A. So experienced in fact that they have over 3,300 Serie A games between them in their careers. Average age? Nearly 29 years, even with Balotelli, Santon and my generous inclusion of Krhin.

Quaresma was a flop. The players who are not bolded came from Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively. Another 750 games from those three in their club careers, dozens of international caps for strong sides. They are not even close to the sort of players we can attract because of the above. Languages spoken? All but those three spoke Italian by the start of last season.

This is a squad that has been built over years, and with the aid of Farsopoli has been able to ingrain a winning mentality. If you say Inter are the blueprint for our future success I'd say yes they are, experienced players who have a lot of Serie A experience. The reality is that right now we are years away from being back to that level, something you clearly have a problem understanding. But we can do well another way.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Plus serie A players prices are pretty inflated whenever a big club like Juve buys them from other serie A clubs (we've already overpaid for many in the past 4 years).

IMO buying serie A proven players made sense 10 years ago when the league was the best in Europe by far, now though it doesn't.

Sooo many foreign players have came from other leagues and settled just fine in serie A in the past 5-6 years (pato, krasic, Pastore, jovetic, etoo, sneijder, Maicon...).

I had a bet just this summer that Hernanes (the lazio player) would be a hit in this league and the guy absolutely toyed with Fiorentina players the other day. It took the guy less than a month to show his class (same with pato, krasic, sneijder and the rest).

The whole :gsol: serie A proven players :gsol: is an old myth that people keep repeating over and over again.
A shining light of impartiality, from the guy who wants us to have a whole team of ex-Yugoslav players :rolleyes:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

Who are these star players who are going to join us right now? We are looking at a tiny group of players, I can only think of one, very strong players playing for smaller sides - Dzeko. Who else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 55)