Gilberto Silva (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Silva is a class player - a player I have maximum respect for. I do think he is worth 7.5m Euro if he is available that is.

I guess a lot depend how good Marchiso is. I am surprised nobody has yet to answer this question, because when our board is buying players, they are probably taking into consideration how good our homegrown replacement will be in the future. If Marchiso is more than good enough to contribute at the highest level in the future, but not quite ready to do so now, then 30 odd relatively cheap veteran midfield is not a bad option as well. Especially given that Paro, who IMO is a certain regular next years, is still quite inexperienced at the top stage.
Absolutely. In some ways it's a good idea not buying too many youngsters when we already have some talented ones of our own. Here's hoping our Paro could somehow transform himself into our own version of Fabregas.

OP
Dominic

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
  • Thread Starter #64
    Silva is a class player - a player I have maximum respect for. I do think he is worth 7.5m Euro if he is available that is.

I guess a lot depend how good Marchiso is. I am surprised nobody has yet to answer this question, because when our board is buying players, they are probably taking into consideration how good our homegrown replacement will be in the future. If Marchiso is more than good enough to contribute at the highest level in the future, but not quite ready to do so now, then 30 odd relatively cheap veteran midfield is not a bad option as well. Especially given that Paro, who IMO is a certain regular next years, is still quite inexperienced at the top stage.
    That's one way to look at it. Another is that there is a lack of faith in the ability of Marchisio and to a lesser extent in Paro, hence the need for Gilberto and all the many other central midfielders we've been linked to.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    That's one way to look at it. Another is that there is a lack of faith in the ability of Marchisio and to a lesser extent in Paro, hence the need for Gilberto and all the many other central midfielders we've been linked to.
    Well, I don't think it would be a good idea for us to not buy any reinforcements this summer. Our youngsters should not have that much of a burden placed on them this early in their career.. we need to give them time, and with that there is the need for someone to lead our midfield. That's where Gilberto comes in. So it might not be about either of the said subjects and just be a matter of common sense in terms of being able to compete in Serie A.

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
    Gilberto is a hard working defensive midfielder but he isn't that creative. In Arsenal, he plays behind Fabregas and Hleb and both of them differ from Paro, who hasn't convinced me yet as a true centre midfielder. Accordingly, I prefer to buy a world class midfielder to partner either Gilberto or Zanetti in the midfield. Paro and Marchisio might be sidelined until they become able to burden such a responsibility.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Well, I don't think it would be a good idea for us to not buy any reinforcements this summer. Our youngsters should not have that much of a burden placed on them this early in their career.. we need to give them time, and with that there is the need for someone to lead our midfield. That's where Gilberto comes in. So it might not be about either of the said subjects and just be a matter of common sense in terms of being able to compete in Serie A.
    I agree totally Andy. Of course, if player is looked at individually, I have no doubt Lucho Gonzalez will make best investment. Lucho is absolute monster, and he is only going to get better with age.

But what if Marchiso and Paro, are better prospect than we initially expected? Then we might have spent needless youth premium on Lucho when we already had good replacement down in our own farm. Its simply a waste from financial perspectives, and teams operate with returns in their mind not just sporting concern.

I like the CV of Marchiso. He was a captain of all conquering youth academy which had Domenico Cristico in the squad. Its shows boy has some leadership skills, mental aptitude, and class. He sounds like somebody we should definitely have a look before just discarding away. A year loan with teams like Siena won't be so bad IMO, then recall him if Gilberto shows sign of decline.

Just as importantly, Gilberto is a player I am certain the top professional players will recognize and respect. He has played against like of Del Piero, Buffon, and Camo, so our players know what they are getting. This may persuade them to stay.

Now the real question is why would he want to leave Arsenal as Juventus710 asked? Apart from money, and playing for more prestigious club I see no reason. He seems settled in UK, and going pretty well in both EPL and Europe with Arsenal. Its not a profile of player looking for a move.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Has Gilberto actually come out with any statement himself regarding the whole Juventus rumour?

Arsenal had a hard time last season trying to bring back the steel to their midfield when Viera left.And now that Gilberto is doing a good job at it,i cant see how Wenger would be inclined to sell him.They dont have anyone with as much experience and steel in their midfield,unless ofcourse they're getting Baptista on a permanent basis in the summer.

The Gilberto deal could come down to wether Baptista stays or leaves at Arenal IMO.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I agree totally Andy. Of course, if player is looked at individually, I have no doubt Lucho Gonzalez will make best investment. Lucho is absolute monster, and he is only going to get better with age.

But what if Marchiso and Paro, are better prospect than we initially expected? Then we might have spent needless youth premium on Lucho when we already had good replacement down in our own farm. Its simply a waste from financial perspectives, and teams operate with returns in their mind not just sporting concern.

I like the CV of Marchiso. He was a captain of all conquering youth academy which had Domenico Cristico in the squad. Its shows boy has some leadership skills, mental aptitude, and class. He sounds like somebody we should definitely have a look before just discarding away. A year loan with teams like Siena won't be so bad IMO, then recall him if Gilberto shows sign of decline.

Just as importantly, Gilberto is a player I am certain the top professional players will recognize and respect. He has played against like of Del Piero, Buffon, and Camo, so our players know what they are getting. This may persuade them to stay.

Now the real question is why would he want to leave Arsenal as Juventus710 asked? Apart from money, and playing for more prestigious club I see no reason. He seems settled in UK, and going pretty well in both EPL and Europe with Arsenal. Its not a profile of player looking for a move.
    I'm not too keen on sending our youngsters away on loan, as we have seen the results of such practices and they have not been too rewarding. That's why in some ways I think we should keep both Marchisio and Paro and just hope to hell Deschamps can work them into the squad every now and then.

Gilberto doesn't look like someone who would want a move and Wenger would be even more of an idiot to let him slide away. But perhaps we can hope for Ribery... going to the Gunners and then Juventus making a move for Rosicky. I still dream of seeing Tomas conducting our play with his slick passing and amazing vision. Shame our former management never layed eyes upon him and this new administration probably won't either. Marchisio - Paro - Rosicky sounds like an interesting future midfield to me.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    I'm not too keen on sending our youngsters away on loan, as we have seen the results of such practices and they have not been too rewarding. That's why in some ways I think we should keep both Marchisio and Paro and just hope to hell Deschamps can work them into the squad every now and then.

Gilberto doesn't look like someone who would want a move and Wenger would be even more of an idiot to let him slide away. But perhaps we can hope for Ribery... going to the Gunners and then Juventus making a move for Rosicky. I still dream of seeing Tomas conducting our play with his slick passing and amazing vision. Shame our former management never layed eyes upon him and this new administration probably won't either. Marchisio - Paro - Rosicky sounds like an interesting future midfield to me.
    Big fan of Thomas Rosicky, but I am somwhat cautious about his injury history, and the price we may have to pay to bring him here. Arsenal will surely want more than 15m Euro they spent on him last summer. Beside, I feel Ribery's style of play is more suited to Serie A, though I am sure Ribery may have better offers elsewhere, though I am relatively certain Arsenal won't be the one that outbid us.

Looking back, loans havent been as effective as they could have been. We all know how that destroyed Brighi's confidence and will to play. If Matteo wasn't loaned out back then, I honestly believe he would have established himself as an Azzurri regular by now. Nonetheless, I still think it is better for youngsters to get a game on a regular basis than sitting on the bench, a la Chiellini.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
    I hate it when every day another player is linked with juve:pumpkin: and we don´t need Gillberto Silva.. He is not that good

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007
    ...and was part of the 2003 Arsenal team that went undefeated in the league for the whole season is not good enough?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)