General TV (25 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I learned Larys name and his father the hand and his bastard child rearing brother Harwin he just brutally murdered, all their names, this past episode.

Before that I called Larys the evil cripple. The good hand as the old man (still dont know his name except its the strong family) who is the only Saint in the show, too good so will die soon. And Harwin I just called city watch guy.

Thats because the main family characters they mention their names often. But the support family characters its too many and they rarely mention their names.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually can't stand RR Martins writing. I gave GOT a try for 2 books then gave up like a decade ago. And I read 100s of fantasy books with varying degree of quality, one of my fav genres. But even if the world building was interesting, I couldn't stand RR Martins writing style.
I never read his books but I heard the same thing from a friend of mine. And when I heard it I never wanted to read it, I know it would bother me too much.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I learned Larys name and his father the hand and his bastard child rearing brother Harwin he just brutally murdered, all their names, this past episode.

Before that I called Larys the evil cripple. The good hand as the old man (still dont know his name except its the strong family) who is the only Saint in the show, too good so will die soon. And Harwin I just called city watch guy.

Thats because the main family characters they mention their names often. But the support family characters its too many and they rarely mention their names.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually can't stand RR Martins writing. I gave GOT a try for 2 books then gave up like a decade ago. And I read 100s of fantasy books with varying degree of quality, one of my fav genres. But even if the world building was interesting, I couldn't stand RR Martins writing style.
What about his style?

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
dahmer, anyone? i watched it last week. my first remark was that it's terrifying how immune i became to sheer cruelty. it wasn't even too tough to watch despite the obvious fact that dahmer was an inhuman sociopath. it's a well made show anyway, with a few unnecessary jumps back and forth in time. i also think that the father's responsibility is a bit exaggerated. this guy didn't have a mother at all, and that's not emphasized enough. it also paints a slightly better image of dahmer compared to the reality: real dahmer did nasty things to the dead bodies, which isn't portrayed at all in the series, iirc he just briefly mentioned it in his testimony. idem for cannibalism, creators thought that just a few hints here and there and a piece of meat in a frying pan will suffice. it also was a bit on the long and slow side for my taste. the casting for the main character was excellent though. i watched some footage of dahmer a few years ago when i went down this youtube true crime rabbit hole lol, and i think that evan peters did a great job, even the walk and the tone of his voice are spot on.

6.5/10 for me, would never rewatch
Netflix is the McDonald's of TV and Movies. They just play on the general publics obsession with serial killers, sex and nostalgia...

Absolute trash. I refuse to watch that shit. I know enough about Dahmer and don't need to see his life glamorized on TV. A documentary debating his mental state and reasons for being so cruel would of been more interesting.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Netflix is the McDonald's of TV and Movies. They just play on the general publics obsession with serial killers, sex and nostalgia...

Absolute trash. I refuse to watch that shit. I know enough about Dahmer and don't need to see his life glamorized on TV. A documentary debating his mental state and reasons for being so cruel would of been more interesting.
i agree in general, this was the first series i watched there for months, but it's not glamorized, it's simply not hard enough for my taste. i didn't feel for a second that they tried to portray the adult dahmer a human being that deserves empathy

the killing of dahmer is the only glaringly netflix-y part of the series imo. the guy that beat him to death was a schizophrenic dude in real life, not the vigilante with a hyuuuge moral compass like they tried to sell him. otherwise not much glamour, at least i didn't really catch it.

btw they will milk the dahmer story a bit more and iirc some documentary stuff will follow this series, so your wish might be granted.

Powis

Dec 9, 2009

- - - Updated - - -

Fire and blood is indeed a difficult read. All the story is based on the memoirs that one of the old maesters managed to collect. It's like a made up history book.

Not sure why you think his style sucks in the GOT books though.

Last edited:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I just found it very unengaging narrative prose style.

This type of real politiks medieval fantasy I generally compare to historical fiction. And at the time when I discovered GOT I was reading the Saxon series by Bernard cornwell, Conn Igguldens Mongol series, Simon Scarrows light reading Rome series under the Eagle etc. And RR Martins style was like chalk board gratting and unengaging compared to all of theirs.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
dahmer, anyone? i watched it last week. my first remark was that it's terrifying how immune i became to sheer cruelty. it wasn't even too tough to watch despite the obvious fact that dahmer was an inhuman sociopath. it's a well made show anyway, with a few unnecessary jumps back and forth in time. i also think that the father's responsibility is a bit exaggerated. this guy didn't have a mother at all, and that's not emphasized enough. it also paints a slightly better image of dahmer compared to the reality: real dahmer did nasty things to the dead bodies, which isn't portrayed at all in the series, iirc he just briefly mentioned it in his testimony. idem for cannibalism, creators thought that just a few hints here and there and a piece of meat in a frying pan will suffice. it also was a bit on the long and slow side for my taste. the casting for the main character was excellent though. i watched some footage of dahmer a few years ago when i went down this youtube true crime rabbit hole lol, and i think that evan peters did a great job, even the walk and the tone of his voice are spot on.

6.5/10 for me, would never rewatch
I thought it was pretty good. Like you said, the main actor did a fantastic job. I also thought other actors put in good performances, especially his parents and grandmother. I'd give it an 8/10.

What did drag it down a bit in my opinion was the length of the series. 10 episodes was a bit too much, some of the later episodes felt like filler. I also think they exaggerated the role of race in his killings. I think it has been established that Dahmer preferred a certain body type rather than any particular race. I also think it is pretty obvious that the police's homophobia and their fear of AIDS was more to blame. I don't think Jesse Jackson really needed a role in this, but it's not really surprising considering that modern media is obsessed with tying everything to racism

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

I wrote pretty much the same in this thread four years ago and everybody jumped on my ass for it.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
The fact I've seen so many on Facebook and on TikTok feeling sympathy and feeling sorry for Dahmer is disturbing.
I don’t understand how people can watch the series and afterwards feel sympathy for Dahmer. Yes, the series could have been more graphic but they do humanize his victims very well. One episode for instance is entirely about the life of a victim and his family and not Dahmer. So his murder hits pretty hard.

The show does do a comparison to John Wayne Gacy, and maybe some people think Dahmer looked good next to him.:boh:

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I don’t understand how people can watch the series and afterwards feel sympathy for Dahmer. Yes, the series could have been more graphic but they do humanize his victims very well. One episode for instance is entirely about the life of a victim and his family and not Dahmer. So his murder hits pretty hard.

The show does do a comparison to John Wayne Gacy, and maybe some people think Dahmer looked good next to him.:boh:
People are dumb.

So many serial killers are idolized and many women are attracted to them.

We know about the love letters alot have been sent in jail and many who have went on to find women willing to be in relationships or marriages with them.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The fact I've seen so many on Facebook and on TikTok feeling sympathy and feeling sorry for Dahmer is disturbing.

Part of the reason I havent seen it yet. He is getting fangirls like some wicked anti hero like Dexter or such. When he was a real life figure who was one of the worst humans to ever live.

When I noticed that reception I just assumed the series made him into too sympathetic anti-hero type.

I seen tons of movies and TV series about serial killers, MindHunters in netflix was great. Just show them in authentic way. You don't have to try to make people like every character you make a show about.

Maybe wasn't the shows intention, but partly seems to he the end result.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah to be honest my brother who seen it says the same. Didnt feel like the show was sympathetic to Dahmer, maybe just not graphic enough in showing his evil acts, but otherwise he is equally confused why people are being groupies about a serial killer.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Part of the reason I havent seen it yet. He is getting fangirls like some wicked anti hero like Dexter or such. When he was a real life figure who was one of the worst humans to ever live.

When I noticed that reception I just assumed the series made him into too sympathetic anti-hero type.

I seen tons of movies and TV series about serial killers, MindHunters in netflix was great. Just show them in authentic way. You don't have to try to make people like every character you make a show about.

Maybe wasn't the shows intention, but partly seems to he the end result.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah to be honest my brother who seen it says the same. Didnt feel like the show was sympathetic to Dahmer, maybe just not graphic enough in showing his evil acts, but otherwise he is equally confused why people are being groupies about a serial killer.
Yea this is why I watched one episode (reluctantly) and then gave up

Fuck Netflix.... Trash.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
I'm watching Dahmer right now.
I don't get the feeling that he is being portraied in a good light. If the show is accurate it actually shows how he becomes a serial killer. (botched operation, mentally ill mother that goes through after birth stress disorder, absent father, probably more but I'm just on episode 3).
The series is good, way above the uninspiring things Netflix churns out in recent times.

As for the rings of power. Dreadful show. Gaved it 4 episodes, until it insulted my intelligence so hard that I never want to hear anything about Amazon and Fantasy genre all my life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)