General TV (65 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
what frustrates me more is the "strength in numbers" mentality that some posters ambush others with and bully into submission.

the problem with internet wisecracks is that you can't bring across the "tone" of the humour,many times i delete a post that i find hilarious but think may get lost in the interpretation,so you lower the tone slightly and make it atht little bit more accessable
I'm actually sort of annoyed with the "canned laughter" around here. Say something, almost anything, about someone they hate and it's automatically hilarious no matter what the merits of the humor are. Inter, Balotelli, Zlatan.. it's Pavlovian. And it gets in the way of a better merit based system.

What you say is true, and yet I think we still know how to say exactly what we want sometimes, be it a joke or not. Our smilies help a bit :scarf: Of course the person you're talking to may get it and others not but you run that risk elsewhere too.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I aint calling myself a comic genius mind,just someone who sees the world slightly differently and have a strange way of expressing it,sometimes i worry about how that comes across
I know what you're saying, but I don't know why it would bother you. After all it is in your powers to get people to like you back anyway.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It happens in real life too. The forum is just a reflection in that sense. For people like you and me this can be frustrating, but we could just as easily control the masses if we wanted to. I know which kind of joke is going to get people to like me a hell of a lot, so I could make it happen if I wanted to.
Actually, that's an interesting issue. Do you ever do that? Tell a joke you know people will like just because you can win some points? A joke that you don't like?

That happens to me in real life and I feel so dirty afterwards, I remember stupid jokes I told years ago and it still makes me twitch.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
actually believe it or not,i am not too bothered if people "like" me,but i dislike confrontation (especially on an internet forum) and i love having an outlet for my creativity

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Actually, that's an interesting issue. Do you ever do that? Tell a joke you know people will like just because you can win some points? A joke that you don't like?

That happens to me in real life and I feel so dirty afterwards, I remember stupid jokes I told years ago and it still makes me twitch.
If I need popularity fast, I do. In some situations it can be necessary. Then again, I do the complete opposite a lot too, telling jokes I know people aren't going to like.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
actually believe it or not,i am not too bothered if people "like" me,but i dislike confrontation (especially on an internet forum) and i love having an outlet for my creativity
But that's not the thing. It's not that I want to feel loved or bullshit like that. It just comes in handy sometimes.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
I'm actually sort of annoyed with the "canned laughter" around here. Say something, almost anything, about someone they hate and it's automatically hilarious no matter what the merits of the humor are. Inter, Balotelli, Zlatan.. it's Pavlovian. And it gets in the way of a better merit based system.

What you say is true, and yet I think we still know how to say exactly what we want sometimes, be it a joke or not. Our smilies help a bit :scarf: Of course the person you're talking to may get it and others not but you run that risk elsewhere too.
i know what you mean but there are times on here where it is somply the better option,take this post for example
Osman,i am trying to defuse the situation stop trying to diffuse it
maybe not comical genuis but amusing nonetheless but i never got a ripple for this

yet i know if i made some racist balotelli/jump,monkey joke it would be pounced on quicker that a jack russel on an old mans leg

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If I need popularity fast, I do. In some situations it can be necessary. Then again, I do the complete opposite a lot too, telling jokes I know people aren't going to like.
But isn't it true that if you're being a phony so that people will like you then it's also true that you don't like the people that are there?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
i know what you mean but there are times on here where it is somply the better option,take this post for example

maybe not comical genuis but amusing nonetheless but i never got a ripple for this

yet i know if i made some racist balotelli/jump,monkey joke it would be pounced on quicker that a jack russel on an old mans leg
The question is do you want to get a big laugh by tossing something to the pack that they are more or less behaviorally trained to like? What's the satisfaction in that?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
actually Martin this kind of tactic got me through high school
It is great in high school. If you understand the mechanism, you can be popular if you want to. It is stupid, I know, but it's just the way it works.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The question is do you want to get a big laugh by tossing something to the pack that they are more or less behaviorally trained to like? What's the satisfaction in that?
It's not about personal satisfaction, it's because you might need them for something else.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It's not about personal satisfaction, it's because you might need them for something else.
Strangely enough, it seems you like people more than I do. To me if they don't appreciate what I have to say, if the chance for me to be funny doesn't even come up because their conversation is so lame, then I really have no desire to be around them. It seems you do though.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Strangely enough, it seems you like people more than I do. To me if they don't appreciate what I have to say, if the chance for me to be funny doesn't even come up because their conversation is so lame, then I really have no desire to be around them. It seems you do though.
Hmmm, I don't know about that. I like to be popular because with popularity comes power, but I don't really like the people. For example I don't like getting text messages every five seconds and I still spend a considerable amount of time on this forum, which must mean that I don't go out with just about everyone.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
It is great in high school. If you understand the mechanism, you can be popular if you want to. It is stupid, I know, but it's just the way it works.
it is unfortunate but it is not just limited to humour,you can use it in almost any aspect of life if you wish to apply yourself iun this way.
for you andries you seem to have taken the opposite role in that you prefer to instigate matters(not saying this is neccesarily a bad thing) and see the reaction

Well noone said high school is a Mensa club.
well d'uh

i have to say i feel kind of like a social chameleon at times,while Martin is a social observer and Andries a social instigator

imagine what we could accomplish together

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Hmmm, I don't know about that. I like to be popular because with popularity comes power, but I don't really like the people. For example I don't like getting text messages every five seconds and I still spend a considerable amount of time on this forum, which must mean that I don't go out with just about everyone.
Power to do what?

i have to say i feel kind of like a social chameleon at times,while Martin is a social observer and Andries a social instigator

imagine what we could accomplish together
A hugely successful think tank.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Btw Bozi, since you say chameleon, I really admire people who flow from one environment into another and adapt effortlessly. I wish I could do that. I am way too judgmental to even try though.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
i did it out of neccesity, as a youngster i was actually a little shy and introverted. i wasn't one of the "cool kids" but i wasn't an outsider either,it wasn't until i was about 17 i found my voice,making friends has never really been a problem, truly "connecting" has been

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)