General TV (15 Viewers)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Anyone know if The Shield is any good?
A few friends of mine are big fans, but they're quite into cop shows. I've seen the first season, which was entertaining. There are a few story-lines, which offer a little something for everyone. The big one is about a small police unit which is corrupt, violent and effective. There are a few more police officers who are more typical, and tend to be involved in relatively standard procedural stuff. There's also a politically and racially motivated lieutenant (or captain, I forget) and a sub-plot about a gay officer.

It's worth a look. See if you can get hold of the first couple of episodes. You'll know pretty quickly if it's your cup of tea.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
looks overrated.
Thats the thing I havn't heard any reviews or even seen it on tv.

A friend just recommemned it to me so im safe from all the hype.

A few friends of mine are big fans, but they're quite into cop shows. I've seen the first season, which was entertaining. There are a few story-lines, which offer a little something for everyone. The big one is about a small police unit which is corrupt, violent and effective. There are a few more police officers who are more typical, and tend to be involved in relatively standard procedural stuff. There's also a politically and racially motivated lieutenant (or captain, I forget) and a sub-plot about a gay officer.

It's worth a look. See if you can get hold of the first couple of episodes. You'll know pretty quickly if it's your cup of tea.
Yeah I wouldn't be big into cop shows but I've about 6 episodes of The Wire Season 5 to finish and that show has got me completly hooked on that kind of genre.

The Wire by the way has to be the best tv show iv'e ever seen, im thinking its even better than the Sopranos :shocked:

How would you compare the two?

Yes it is, the first 3 seasons at least.

Haven't watched beyond that, but planning to do so in due time.
Well iv'e downloaded the first two seasons so il give it ago :pint:

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
The Wire is really quite different from the Shield though. The Shield is pretty much purely a cop show while the Wire touches on many different aspects, such as schools, politics, ...

Personally, I'd say the Wire is the better of the 2. But that's not strange considering that I really love(d) that show.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The Wire is way way better then the Shield.

The latter is interesting in its own way though, especially the gritty corrupt cop angle, though its overdone at times, that part is what keeps the show going the most.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
The Wire was sensational,a brilliant programme from all angles.

anybody got a link for a torrent of Dexter series 1? thinking i might give it a bash but the torrent i found was going to take 117 days to download...and that6 with superfast broadband:shocked:

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
The Shield was a great series but it got to be too over the top in the last 3 seasons. Especially with the introduction of Forrest Whitaker.

The Wire on the other hand really lives of to the title of the greatest tv series ever. Nothing can compare to its greatness, realism, depth and plot lines.

My new fav show that I actually watch anytime it is on is Tosh.0

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
The Wire was sensational,a brilliant programme from all angles.

anybody got a link for a torrent of Dexter series 1? thinking i might give it a bash but the torrent i found was going to take 117 days to download...and that6 with superfast broadband:shocked:
Try this.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5436386

Have you used www.torrentz.com? Its pretty good to get you torrents from different sites.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
tha thing that got me with the wire is that when all was said and done....shit don't change
That was the beauty and the realism of the show

Unlike the Shield where Vic gets away with everything and his "punishment" is a desk job for the feds.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
Oh yeah my cousin has been torturing me for ages to watch a tv series called Rescue Me.

Its about firefighters post 9/11 in New York.

Anyone seen it cause ive never heard of it?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Anyone know if The Shield is any good?
Dress or panty?

Oh yeah my cousin has been torturing me for ages to watch a tv series called Rescue Me.

Its about firefighters post 9/11 in New York.

Anyone seen it cause ive never heard of it?
Yep. I watch it religiously. I like it a lot -- one of my favorite TV shows for years. But then I loved the original, shorter-run show this was before 9/11, which was called The Job and it appeared on big network television.

In The Job, Dennis Leary plays a drunken, philandering Irish cop in a New York City police department who can't do much else with his life besides being a rogue cop.

In Rescue Me, Dennis Leary plays a drunken, philandering Irish firefighter in a New York City fire department who can't do much else with his life besides being a rogue firefighter.

Not only that, but the writing team, the directors, and even a number of the regular actors are the same in both shows. My guess is that The Job failed because network television expects much higher viewership to become profitable, whereas the margins are much lower for cable TV (Rescue Me). So they threw in a post-9/11 storyline, switched from cops to firefighters, and it worked. It's funny, because I started re-watching The Job just last night.

Rescue Me is a bit of a comedy, a bit of drama, and it focuses on an egocentric guy pretty much living through Dennis Leary's own hero fantasies. That sounds bad, but I know a lot of people who don't like Dennis Leary who have come to really like Rescue Me.

Some of the common things are alcoholism, womanizing, dangerous fireman work, the visions of dead people past, and a lot of sarcastic firehouse humor -- which is perhaps the most brilliant part of the show. The show also has its artistic moments where they will let a scene run long (with or without music) to leave a real visual impression.

But what shines through for that show more than any other show out there is the genuine comradeship among the cast and crew. Going back to The Job, these guys have been working together for a decade... and there are just moments it looks nothing like acting when the crew gets together around the firehouse kitchen table and everyone busts each others' balls. Even the writing sometimes reflects random conversations that you know must happen in real life on the set that they carry over into the show.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Ah, Rescue Me, almost completely forgot about that show. Really good, although it took me a while to get into it. Too bad I've only seen the first 2 seasons, they don't even sell the other ones here, let alone air them on tv...

OP
V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #600
    • V

V

Give me your e-mail dude. I'll send you an invite for a fucking amazing private tracker for TV shows. You don't need to keep a ratio but you do need to seed the shit you download, 1 episode=seed 24h, seasons pack=seed 1 week.

Anybody else that's interested, PM me. If you don't intend to use it, don't. That goes to you Sheik and Osman, AKA Shaka Zulu.

Check out the screens:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)