General News & Politics (26 Viewers)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
:lol:

Stop sippin' the coolaid. It's not my fairytale, it's documented Soviet history. Armenia has no disputes with Iran and only a brief post WW1 territorial dispute with Georgia. Are they wrong for claiming territory from Turkey? I can sort of imagine your attitude towards the genocide, if you don't recognize the genocide then of course, they don't have any claims to the territory where the ethnic cleansing took place.
Yes, they are wrong. Historical claims are bullshit. Gotta accept the current borders and move the fuck on.
In practice, they are conducting genocide on themselves because of this policy, as in the blockade Armenia itself is literally dying out because people are leavingit for a better life. A country with two closed borders cannot thrive.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Yes, they are wrong. Historical claims are bullshit. Gotta accept the current borders and move the fuck on.
In practice, they are conducting genocide on themselves because of this policy, as in the blockade Armenia itself is literally dying out because people are leavingit for a better life. A country with two closed borders cannot thrive.
They're conducting genocide on themselves? Dude... I'm aware that you've been brought up under massive censorship, but it's not illegal to educate yourself a little bit.

As for historical claims being bullshit and accepting the current status - is this a carte blanche for military actions > genocide > unilateral declarations of new territory? I'm guessing they should wait until Turkey falls and claim Baku, that'd be alright no?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
They're conducting genocide on themselves? Dude... I'm aware that you've been brought up under massive censorship, but it's not illegal to educate yourself a little bit.

As for historical claims being bullshit and accepting the current status - is this a carte blanche for military actions > genocide > unilateral declarations of new territory? I'm guessing they should wait until Turkey falls and claim Baku, that'd be alright no?
By 'current borders' I mean whatever is internationally recognized. What are you talking about? I am saying currently recognized international borders of ALL countries shall be respected and adhered to at all times. Open a global map and look where Karabakh is, no one was genociding poor Armenians when they decided they had some kinda bullshit claim no one else (even Armenia) recognizes :D

Last edited:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Dude: erosion. "At all times"? This is nonsense. Most land of current countries used to be 10,000 meters under the sea millions of years ago.
The bottom line is that almost every country has some kinda historical claim to some territory, doesn't mean you get to occupy it at the slightest opportunity and then expect the rest of the world to recognize that occupation.

Everyone should recognize Crimea as Russian then.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know much about the history aside from the previous bad blood. This explains the situation since WW1.
'Karabakh' is an Azeri word, literally means Black Garden.
Funny how being supposedly Armenian for "millenia" it is known universally by its Azeri (Turkic) toponym.

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The bottom line is that almost every country has some kinda historical claim to some territory, doesn't mean you get to occupy it at the slightest opportunity and then expect the rest of the world to recognize that occupation.

Everyone should recognize Crimea as Russian then.
Or Neanderthal.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
'Karabakh' is an Azeri word, literally means Black Garden.
Funny how being supposedly Armenian for "millenia" it is known universally by its Azeri (Turkic) toponym.
There isn't even agreement on that, although it does have a Turkic sound/component. But were Turkic people there first, or does bragging rights only come to names left in written history?

An example, the city of York stems from Old Norse, but over the last 2000 years has evolved with the people living there. Eboracum (Celtic) > Eoforwic (Old English) > Jórvík (Old Norse) > Yorke (Middle English) > York (Modern English). The city certainly isn't claimed by Denmark, so claims from etymology are a little weak.

2000 years ago this region was Artsakh under the Armenian empire. The modern population of Muslim Turks didn't follow for another thousand years with Islamic conquest.

I don't personally have a "side" in the conflict as it is complex and nationalist, maybe more an issue of international law as much as pride.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
There isn't even agreement on that, although it does have a Turkic sound/component. But were Turkic people there first, or does bragging rights only come to names left in written history?

An example, the city of York stems from Old Norse, but over the last 2000 years has evolved with the people living there. Eboracum (Celtic) > Eoforwic (Old English) > Jórvík (Old Norse) > Yorke (Middle English) > York (Modern English). The city certainly isn't claimed by Denmark, so claims from etymology are a little weak.

2000 years ago this region was Artsakh under the Armenian empire. The modern population of Muslim Turks didn't follow for another thousand years with Islamic conquest.

I don't personally have a "side" in the conflict as it is complex and nationalist, maybe more an issue of international law as much as pride.
Afaik Armenia is a normal, modern democratic nation. Azerbaijan is an oligarch run dictatorship desperate to hang onto their oil money. I've no idea about the historical claims etc, but scum like Aliyev and Erdogan joining hands smells bad.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Afaik Armenia is a normal, modern democratic nation. Azerbaijan is an oligarch run dictatorship desperate to hang onto their oil money. I've no idea about the historical claims etc, but scum like Aliyev and Erdogan joining hands smells bad.
When those territories were occupied Armenia wasn't a normal, democratic nation. They became so-called modern and democratic only 2 years ago.

In any case, wtf does this have anything to do with international law and territorial integrity?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)