General News & Politics (28 Viewers)

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
My beautiful chabahar today was on fire. be proud of myself that I have participated in the demonstrations and cause of that everything has changed. Angry people attacked to Police kiosk and burned that.The police opened fire and several people were injured.
Are you from Chabahar?
knock’em dead bro, literally.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
It's not religion, these rulers are using force and violence to control the people, not to make people better through religion. Silencing and controlling people is what a successful dictator does.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
It's not religion, these rulers are using force and violence to control the people, not to make people better through religion. Silencing and controlling people is what a successful dictator does.
Of course they are not trying to make people better, but in Iran all religious ceremonies are exploited to its maximum extent by government for political purposes. So it’s very much religious, considering ceremonies are a large part of any religion.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
This is the use of religion to scare people. These ladies are beaten for not wearing the scarf but if you're an outspoken imam with a strong following, you'll be jailed, not only in Iran but anywhere. None of these dictatorships are religious, they break the most fundamental rules and have zero credentials. You wouldn't get brain surgery from a guy who watched a few episodes of Scrubs.

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
Why should any religion be forced on anyone? I’m a muslim, and I do not support forcing any practice of my beliefs as law to those who do not subscribe to my beliefs, it’s wrong, freedom of choice is more important than religion for religion’s sake. Let people worship how, where, and what they will, even if it’s nothing.
What's the situation out there like for religious minorities such as Zoroastrians and Christians?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
So it's just happenstance they are mostly religious?
It’s what culturally holds weight in the region. It’s not going to be the Persian Steve Jobs worshipped by local entrepreneurs. It’s not the land of strong political institutions where elected officials are looked upon for social direction. It’s not Instagram influencers and hip hop celebrities telling you how you too should live your life.

Religion is neither good nor evil. It’s usually a little of both, just like any other human social enterprise. You can hate on religion or politics all you like, but the truth is you are religion and politics. It wouldn’t exist without you.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
This is the use of religion to scare people. These ladies are beaten for not wearing the scarf but if you're an outspoken imam with a strong following, you'll be jailed, not only in Iran but anywhere. None of these dictatorships are religious, they break the most fundamental rules and have zero credentials. You wouldn't get brain surgery from a guy who watched a few episodes of Scrubs.
Not sure I understand. They are enforcing religious laws not some random rules. This sounds like a no true Scotsman fallacy.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the situation out there like for religious minorities such as Zoroastrians and Christians?
In Iran some religious minorities are free to practice their religion, at least by the book. That’s limited to sunni Muslims, Jews, Christians, and Zoroastrians. Others including Bahai faith followers are brutally oppressed and are not entitled to any protection.
Even those 4 groups are not exactly treated equally with Shiite Muslims. You can never get any top level job if you’re a religious minority. Chances are at some point in your life you’ll see some form of discrimination. That’s why the number of those minorities is dwindling.
Btw these are true for people who are born into those religions. If you are a Muslim by birth and convert to any other religion you’re punishable by death. This was the basis for Saman Rushdie fatwa in 1980s. Not that he converted, but what he said was blasphemous enough in the eyes of Khomeini who decided he no longer qualifies as a Muslim.

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
It’s what culturally holds weight in the region. It’s not going to be the Persian Steve Jobs worshipped by local entrepreneurs. It’s not the land of strong political institutions where elected officials are looked upon for social direction. It’s not Instagram influencers and hip hop celebrities telling you how you too should live your life.

Religion is neither good nor evil. It’s usually a little of both, just like any other human social enterprise. You can hate on religion or politics all you like, but the truth is you are religion and politics. It wouldn’t exist without you.
That’s very orientalist. FYI there are many Instagram influencers in Iran. Also Islamic Republic is the very first strictly theocratic system in Iran’s history.

satfootball

Oct 5, 2009
Not sure I understand. They are enforcing religious laws not some random rules. This sounds like a no true Scotsman fallacy.

- - - Updated - - -

In Iran some religious minorities are free to practice their religion, at least by the book. That’s limited to sunni Muslims, Jews, Christians, and Zoroastrians. Others including Bahai faith followers are brutally oppressed and are not entitled to any protection.
Even those 4 groups are not exactly treated equally with Shiite Muslims. You can never get any top level job if you’re a religious minority. Chances are at some point in your life you’ll see some form of discrimination. That’s why the number of those minorities is dwindling.
Btw these are true for people who are born into those religions. If you are a Muslim by birth and convert to any other religion you’re punishable by death. This was the basis for Saman Rushdie fatwa in 1980s. Not that he converted, but what he said was blasphemous enough in the eyes of Khomeini who decided he no longer qualifies as a Muslim.
These minorities do not have the possibility to propagate their religion. Zoroastrians only have a population of about 50 thousand people. In addition, there is no equality among the Shiites and people who follow the leader enjoy special privileges and rents.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
These minorities do not have the possibility to propagate their religion. Zoroastrians only have a population of about 50 thousand people. In addition, there is no equality among the Shiites and people who follow the leader enjoy special privileges and rents.
Yes I know. Although the second part is not technically religious but just your typical dictatorship stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)