General News & Politics (10 Viewers)

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Inter-party elections are dumb by design. Only hard core party loyalists vote in it which somewhat guarantees an extreme outcome.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
The hyper partisans on either side have lost their minds. The freedom convoy imbeciles are saying the same things about Putin vs Trudeau here too. We just had a member of parliament stand up in the House of Commons and say that Trudeau was no different from Putin, a dictator who was stealing power. :sergio: :lol2:

- - - Updated - - -

You must love Chinese social credit scores :shifty:
The way the media operates and the existence of social media lends itself to hyper partisanship and retarded politicians are rewarded with exposure. You can be the best legislature in the country and no one will know your name unless you say stupid or inflammatory shit on a regular basis.

- - - Updated - - -

Inter-party elections are dumb by design. Only hard core party loyalists vote in it which somewhat guarantees an extreme outcome.
What's the alternative?

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I respectfully disagree, i think providing equal opportunity for success is what gets you the best people at the right spots, and thats where the govt role comes to play. I also believe in a system of citizenry through public service, some rights have to be earned.
how do you provide equal opportunity, and how do you make people understand the right values?

EDUCATION ;)

we're talking about the same thing btw. everything comes down to a proper education: functional legal system, understanding of taxes, function and operation of the state, i can only repeat myself: you name it.

imagine a country with legally equal rights, where kids can't read or count properly.

also, murica has overall the best higher education in the world. most competitive, best financed, best lecturers, best connection with the private sector, etc. take it away and it's a democratic dead end with a declining economy. equal opportunity would be still there, but would be worthless.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
how do you provide equal opportunity, and how do you make people understand the right values?

EDUCATION ;)

we're talking about the same thing btw. everything comes down to a proper education: functional legal system, understanding of taxes, function and operation of the state, i can only repeat myself: you name it.

imagine a country with legally equal rights, where kids can't read or count properly.

also, murica has overall the best higher education in the world. most competitive, best financed, best lecturers, best connection with the private sector, etc. take it away and it's a democratic dead end with a declining economy. equal opportunity would be still there, but would be worthless.
Equal opportunity is provided through protective laws and their enforcement, and also a low tax burden. And in America, It WAS that way precicely because of equal opportunity, people will pay for good schooling, it is the demand that precedes the supply. Govt dictating curriculum and policies like affirmative action is the antithesis of equal opportunity and the beginning of the end.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Time for google lol

Oh, it's only an American/federal thing if I understood it correctly. Not a bad system though
It can be used anywhere. In essence it’s as same as the way France (and many other countries) conduct their presidential elections in 2 rounds. The difference is that in areas where a party is heavily favored multiple people from that party could run, and facing opposition from your own party as well as other parties helps reducing extreme positions.
primaries are one of the many reasons why US politics is a reality show. In many races the deciding election is not in November.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
It can be used anywhere. In essence it’s as same as the way France (and many other countries) conduct their presidential elections in 2 rounds. The difference is that in areas where a party is heavily favored multiple people from that party could run, and facing opposition from your own party as well as other parties helps reducing extreme positions.
primaries are one of the many reasons why US politics is a reality show. In many races the deciding election is not in November.
:tup:

Yeah I meant it's only works in countries where there is representation by a geographical location. like districts/counties/states etc. Doesn't exist here so I'm less familiar with those election types. but I see how it can apply to a 2 rounds election. Learned something

To the bold part in Americas case for sure

Last edited:

Juventino[RUS]

Mar 9, 2006
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)