General News & Politics (28 Viewers)

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
Who said that democracy was about changing a president every 5-10 years? Democracy is about choosing officials to govern and you can choose the same people for as long as you want
There is no right or wrong here. It depends on a lot of other factors, sepration of power, oversight, etc'.

Electing the same pepole for endless terms without the above factors is a slippery slope.

The neccesity depends on the country, in some there is an inherent risk, in some not.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Who said that democracy was about changing a president every 5-10 years? Democracy is about choosing officials to govern and you can choose the same people for as long as you want
It is not about that per se. But it sure as hell makes sure that no asshole will get any funny ideas.

Trump was starting saying smth about 3rd term, the Americans voted him the fuck out and rightly so.

Also, see Orban and Erdoğan cases. And even Putler himself.

Funny how terms of office are usually removed by the incumbent.

Jul 7, 2018
There is no right or wrong here. It depends on a lot of other factors, sepration of power, oversight, etc'.

Electing the same pepole for endless terms without the above factors is a slippery slope.
The neccesity depends on the country.
Well, then we are talking about a republic, not a democracy. They correlate but are not exactly the same. One thing is the way a state is organized and another is the way officials reach the power. And yes, I agree that is healthier for a state to have a limit of terms, but that doesn’t mean that a country is not a democracy for not having that.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Here the liberal government has made a coalition so that Trudeau stays in power until 2025. The alternatives were not any better, but I hope the Conservatives get their shit together, else we'll have the same PM elected forever.
Fuck that. Conservatives in Canada have gone to shit. They have zero in common now with what 60-65% of this country want. The only reason they have a shot at government is the two right wing parties aligned and took a hard right populism swerve, while the centre to left parties all vote split. Maxime Bernier got 49% of the vote in their leadership race a few years ago. They are completely out of touch with this country.

Give me back the old Joe Clark style fiscal conservative/social liberal PC party of the past and myself and others would be happy with a conservative government, but as long as they are playing the retarded social conservative populism, they don’t align at all with Canadian values. This isn’t a socially conservative country.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:marc::lol3::lol2::scared::baus::spliff::sergio:

wow, that was intense for the wrong reasons.

i still think education is the best investment in any country. change my mind.
The problem is how that education funding is spent. Democrats pump a shit ton of money into the US public school system (republicans seem intent on taking it out) but it doesn’t seem to change things or improve the crumbling public school system there, in large part because much of that funding never reached the end destination. Or is wasted on absolute nonsense like critical race theory teaching. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know if you've followed the Conservatives leadership race a bit. I do occasionally when its in the news and for me the least bad option is Jean Charest and the one I'm pulling for. Fiscally conservative, progressive socially and experienced politician. He'd win against Trudeau hands down, but he'll probably lose to Poilievre in the CPC race.
:tup:

I don’t mind Charest either. I’m just not sure he has much of a shot at winning, given that they got rid of Erin O’toole for being too progressive socially just a few months ago. The merge with Canadian Alliance/Reform was a disaster imo. It allows them a better shot at power due to centre-left vote splitting but detached them entirely from this country’s core values and alienated 60%+ of the population from their party. I find it amusing when conservative relatives talk about immigrants needing to take interviews that make sure their values are aligned with Canadian values, I always suggest that they should have to do these interviews themselves. Oh you don’t like the most vulnerable members of society being looked after, you don’t like tax dollars being spent on public health care and education? You don’t believe in a woman’s right of choice? Etc etc. Deportation for you lol

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Education is too broad of a term. Civic duty, honor, and accountability, but that needs to come from parents and communities not the govt.
true, but how can you invest in good parenting and constructive communities

the bottom line is always the same: providing the best possible education is the most a country can do for its citizens. then everything else becomes eaeier: innovation, handling crisis and conflicts, communication, you name it.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
true, but how can you invest in good parenting and constructive communities

the bottom line is always the same: providing the best possible education is the most a country can do for its citizens. then everything else becomes eaeier: innovation, handling crisis and conflicts, communication, you name it.

I respectfully disagree, i think providing equal opportunity for success is what gets you the best people at the right spots, and thats where the govt role comes to play. I also believe in a system of citizenry through public service, some rights have to be earned.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
people in general have become fucking retarded or maybe we just know more about them, idk. It’s sad
The hyper partisans on either side have lost their minds. The freedom convoy imbeciles are saying the same things about Putin vs Trudeau here too. We just had a member of parliament stand up in the House of Commons and say that Trudeau was no different from Putin, a dictator who was stealing power. :sergio: :lol2:

- - - Updated - - -

I respectfully disagree, i think providing equal opportunity for success is what gets you the best people at the right spots, and thats where the govt role comes to play. I also believe in a system of citizenry through public service, some rights have to be earned.
You must love Chinese social credit scores :shifty:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)