Forum talks (1 Viewer)

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
When our two Milan fans signed up, it hardly took a second before they were being cornered and insulted. At that very moment I knew that this community had failed. Surely there would be moments in the past where similar things happened but never to this extent, never involving so many respected and popular members.
I disagree. They were not insulted the very instant they popped their heads in. They earned those insults!

We are not a community that insults and hates other fans by heart. I've seen and had many good talks with fans of other clubs.

Is it cuz they're Milan fans? No, again there's more Milan fans than these two on the board. Some knows how to behave themselfs, but our two new friends speak like they're superior, try to patronize you every chance they get, hurl insults in every direction and look for fights cuz they're bored.

If the community have failed in anything, it would be to let these visitors go on and on like this for such a long time.

I know Martin and I don't share the same opinion on forum policy, but I don't see the point in welcoming and trying to get along with people who are only looking for fights.

If this is a community that dictates on how to react when faced with a troublemaker, I don't wanna be a part of it.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++

I know Martin and I don't share the same opinion on forum policy, but I don't see the point in welcoming and trying to get along with people who are only looking for fights.
Like i said before, im with u on this.

If someone comes here to create conflict with insults and provoking mainly, ban him.
Why do we have to respect someone that dont have any respect for us?.
Simple as that.

And again, Martin, banning the guy was the right decition, no matter if he could have contributed something in the future.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Sunshine ] ++
Why do you think that i want to talk abt something or to start any kind of topic? I don't. That wasn't my point.

I don't have any points to make at all. If people think that this place has become more negative right now, then what i had said earlier is simply my own "theory" of sorts. I just saw it as a correlation.

If there were a topic i wanted here, i certainly would go and start it. I'm not saying what may be lacking here and what i said earlier certainly isn't a complain at all.
Why do you think that my post was directed at you? To make it clear, it was not. If I was talking about or to you I would have written your name. :)

I've seen several people say things, and there even was a thread about lack of chit-chat or something.

And nice post Aca. :)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I personaly agree with Sunshine about the crack down on off topicness and the negative effect it has created. I had a feeling it would come to this, and thats why I was against Martins policies.

IMO the forum was better before, with all the "off topic chit chat" than it is now, with all this negativity.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
But the problem with that off topic shit chats is that when someone do a thread to talk about something.. the suddenly someone comes and fok the thread forever.

For example.. just imagine the Lac´s "suicide" thread. What could have happened if someone just derailed it right away... he must have been mad about it ecause it is a really serious matter.
IMO this have something to do with mutual respect to each others.

Like someone said before... we can use special "offtopic warnings" to re-ral the threads again.... or assign special task to members of the forum to secretly rerail threads without boythering anyone.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
But the problem with that off topic shit chats is that when someone do a thread to talk about something.. the suddenly someone comes and fok the thread forever.

On purpose? ;)

Anyways, no thread derails right away, and you can ALWAYS return to topic, simply by saying "btw, on topic..."

IMO, a lot of people made off topicness look like a bigger problem than it really is.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
On purpose?
:LOL:... no no that "shit" thing was not on purpouse...sorry.

Anyways, no thread derails right away, and you can ALWAYS return to topic, simply by saying "btw, on topic..."

IMO, a lot of people made off topicness look like a bigger problem than it really is.
I really think that everyone is taking this "neggative effect" and this problems in the forums too seriously really.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++

Why do you think that my post was directed at you? To make it clear, it was not. If I was talking about or to you I would have written your name. :)

I've seen several people say things, and there even was a thread about lack of chit-chat or something.
oohh.... ok. It came right after what i had just said, so i had assumed so. :)

Like someone said before... we can use special "offtopic warnings" to re-ral the threads again.... or assign special task to members of the forum to secretly rerail threads without boythering anyone.
It's been suggested but it looks like this suggestion died a long time ago :undecide:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Alex/Matrin. I think you have just unjustifiably dumped on yourself. You are taking an awful lot of the burden of blame onto your own shoulders here for no good reason.

If you want to sample a truly vindictive forum which is virtually un-moderated, try, say, the BBC's 606. You need skin thicker than mamoth leather to last an hour there. The slightest slip and the pack pounce for the slaughter. The insult's are immensly cutting and very rarely does anyone get their comupence...it's a free-for-all. Serious debating is rare...disrespect is rank. This forum has a long-long way to go before it degenerates to that level.

Still, perhaps a new attitude is required among the posters...live and let live everyone:D

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #34
    ++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
    I personaly agree with Sunshine about the crack down on off topicness and the negative effect it has created. I had a feeling it would come to this, and thats why I was against Martins policies.

IMO the forum was better before, with all the "off topic chit chat" than it is now, with all this negativity.
    Yes, you cannot discount that factor. However, as others have already replied, there is plenty of room for chit chat in parts of the board, there is a problem when that is carried into the debate threads, and those IMO have improved considerably since we made off topic out to be a problem. I'm pleased with that development and I think a lot of people appreciate the increased activity in debates.

++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++
    I disagree. They were not insulted the very instant they popped their heads in. They earned those insults!

We are not a community that insults and hates other fans by heart. I've seen and had many good talks with fans of other clubs.

Is it cuz they're Milan fans? No, again there's more Milan fans than these two on the board. Some knows how to behave themselfs, but our two new friends speak like they're superior, try to patronize you every chance they get, hurl insults in every direction and look for fights cuz they're bored.

If the community have failed in anything, it would be to let these visitors go on and on like this for such a long time.

If this is a community that dictates on how to react when faced with a troublemaker, I don't wanna be a part of it.
    It doesn't matter if they're Milan fans, Juve fans or curling fans.

The point is that in my ideal forum situation, the members can deal with anyone, no matter the person's inclination. I'm well aware that the Milan fans started out very wrong and that's exactly why it's so important to react appropriately. We only ban people when we think they are in clear violation of the rules and persist with that behavior. I don't think it's right to ban someone because they are annoying to others because then I think the responsibility falls on those others to be able to deal with that person.

Why doesn't Incubo get banned? Because he took to his senses, his behavior has improved. And I think we should be able to handle him, for better or for worse, because that says something about us. If we can't handle a person who is clearly trying to split us and egg us on, that's our failure. And that's why I said I'm disappointed in those well respected forum members who haven't been able to deal with this very well. Let me put it this way: what would you say if a moderator got carried away like that and engaged in the flame war? A moderator is supposed to be objective, right? That means they can't allow their feelings to get the better of them and fall to this level. Because if they did, that would make them a poor moderator. And that's the reason for my appeal to the users here to stay in their skin, if you have to hold back, then do it, but it benefits the community and I also think it benefits you as a human being in the long run, if you can handle a person like that.

But in the long run, the situation can also benefit the community in another sense. When Paul and Ian were both "new" members, they had some differences that came to surface. At one point Paul said he was leaving because he didn't feel respected and there was no point in staying with a person like that. But we didn't ban Ian, we didn't think he was here purely to insult people, we thought he had another agenda. We tried to separate them a little, told them to ignore each other and in the long run it wasn't a bad call. Show me one person who doesn't think Ian should be here. And what's more, in this recent incident with Incubo, Ian was one of few of those involved to show good judgement and lead the way.

So being in this forum sometimes *is* an excercise in dealing with "bad" people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)