Formula One 2007 (5 Viewers)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Haha, when McLaren wins you're not a fan of the sport anymore, when Ferrari wins you come right back saying "I told you when the races get back to Europe McLaren will fade". Who are you fooling Jack, you're just hiding in case Ferrari fails. :howler:

McLaren and Inter have absoulutelly nothing in common, don't make me laugh. McLaren is one of the most succesful racing teams and has had one of the most resepectable drivers driving for them. More so, they have always allowed competitivness inside the team itself and with that gave some of the most breathtaking duels in this sport history. Ferrari on the other hand is the proud owner of THE MOST gutting move I have EVER seen in ANY sport and you all know which move it is.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Haha, when McLaren wins you're not a fan of the sport anymore, when Ferrari wins you come right back saying "I told you when the races get back to Europe McLaren will fade". Who are you fooling Jack, you're just hiding in case Ferrari fails. :howler:

McLaren and Inter have absoulutelly nothing in common, don't make me laugh. McLaren is one of the most succesful racing teams and has had one of the most resepectable drivers driving for them. More so, they have always allowed competitivness inside the team itself and with that gave some of the most breathtaking duels in this sport history. Ferrari on the other hand is the proud owner of THE MOST gutting move I have EVER seen in ANY sport and you all know which move it is.
I would say that a McLaren-Inter comparison is not so far fetched. If you are a Juventus and McLaren fan it will be hard for you to see this. McLaren is a classless organization, run by an absolute prick in Ron Dennis. The guy has no class and his antics are inexcusible. McLaren will win a tainted WDC this year and they will have cheated to have won. There are little shenanigans every year with people trying to pick up on what the opposition is doing, but nothing like this. You should be ashamed of your team.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I would say that a McLaren-Inter comparison is not so far fetched. If you are a Juventus and McLaren fan it will be hard for you to see this. McLaren is a classless organization, run by an absolute prick in Ron Dennis. The guy has no class and his antics are inexcusible. McLaren will win a tainted WDC this year and they will have cheated to have won. There are little shenanigans every year with people trying to pick up on what the opposition is doing, but nothing like this. You should be ashamed of your team.
I should be ashamed? That would mean I should have been ashamed of Juve last years as well. I'll never be ashamed of any team I support because I support them for a reason. There are governing bodies which will decide was there any wrong doings, if there were punishments will be handed out and I'll accept them whatever they may be.

If there's no wrongdoings or punishments it will only leave you bitter and jelaous Ferrari fans so I could say for you that you're the Inter of F1, because when you loose it's someone else's fault not your own.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

Dude, so far this season I have watched two races, Silverstone and the one on Sunday. When I made that comment, I wasn't even aware there was a race, I saw the headline on my local newspaper and thought I'd post the comment. Then again I was never a team fan, always have and always will be a driver fan and this year there is no driver that I like.

Inter are also one of the most successful teams, you can't deny that, if they haven't won in the last 20 years or so this does not make them losers. I am not comparing success here, I am comparing attitude, approach, managers, drivers/players etc. Inter had also produced one of the most respectable football players, don't be a Badass now.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
I should be ashamed? That would mean I should have been ashamed of Juve last years as well. I'll never be ashamed of any team I support because I support them for a reason. There are governing bodies which will decide was there any wrong doings, if there were punishments will be handed out and I'll accept them whatever they may be.

If there's no wrongdoings or punishments it will only leave you bitter and jelaous Ferrari fans so I could say for you that you're the Inter of F1, because when you loose it's someone else's fault not your own.
But Juventus didn't cheat. Political games are played by everyone, everyone tries to bend the rules... but, what McLaren did were above and beyond any form of honest. If you are a person that believes the governing bodies make the right decisions and there verdict is just, than I already question your ability to grasp reality.

I always though McLaren was a great rival of ours. I hated them, but had respect. As soon as I saw their vast improvement this year I really raised an eyebrow. Then upon learning about the sabotages inside of Ferrari I started to become more suspicious. Now, Stepneygate has blown the doors off of McLaren's house of credibility. Ron Dennis is a master at manipulating the FIA, but it will take a miracle to get him out of this one. Ron Dennis is a piece of white trash who has put McLaren into a position of diminished credibility. Given only the evidence that was released by the media McLaren is guilty. If we only know the full of it. What McLaren loses this year won't matter, because they made up years of ground in research and development. It is sick, sad and awful and if you are too ignorant to see that than shame on you.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

Hiding? From what? Ron Dennis and Alonso kicking my ass?

There is something you have to know, Bernie Eccelestone owns this sport and he knows what it takes to attract crowds. Records and drama.

FIA stood by Ferrari and Schumacher a lot, why? Because they were making records and they were writing history, but until how long can they go doing what they were doing. At some point it had to stop and guess what? Bernie stopped it again.

I am sure he sees in Hamilton what he saw in Michael years ago, so there is no surprise at all we are witnessing "privileged" treatment, and I, above all, has no right to complain as it went on once in time with the driver I support. However, I can complain on Ron Dennis' whining as he has been like that ever since I knew of hi existence.

One day I had a dream when Schumi was kicking ass in vivid colour. He will own a Formula 1 team and his drivers will win championships. And they will do with class and style.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
I cant recall too many instances where Ferrari received special treament? Heck, every year they changed rules and disallowed technical advancements while they did the opposite for other teams. Not to mention a number of on-track incidents that when against Ferrari flew under the radar, but when it was Ferrari was blown up under a microscope.

BTW, Schumacher couldn't even create a team that competes with Ferrari. He will be smart and run the team with Ross for a long time. Schumacher helped bring Ferrari back after a lot of years in the pits. There is no team more loyal to F1 than the team F1 is least loyal to... Ferrari. No team has more class, prestige or speed that the team in red. McLaren has always been second place and should be happy to be there. After Stepneygate, I hope they fall behind BMW or Renault, but I am sure the FIA will just give them a slap on the wrist.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Inter are also one of the most successful teams, you can't deny that, if they haven't won in the last 20 years or so this does not make them losers. I am not comparing success here, I am comparing attitude, approach, managers, drivers/players etc. Inter had also produced one of the most respectable football players, don't be a Badass now.
Again I fail to see the connection, all that you've just made an example of can be pinned on Ferrari now. Their attitude, approach and managers are no worse than McLaren's. They've whined and whined throughout the years just as much, don't give me that crap, teams that loose whine. Call me biased, everyone is at the end, but I've always seen McLaren as the classier of the two teams.

But Juventus didn't cheat. Political games are played by everyone, everyone tries to bend the rules... but, what McLaren did were above and beyond any form of honest. If you are a person that believes the governing bodies make the right decisions and there verdict is just, than I already question your ability to grasp reality.

I always though McLaren was a great rival of ours. I hated them, but had respect. As soon as I saw their vast improvement this year I really raised an eyebrow. Then upon learning about the sabotages inside of Ferrari I started to become more suspicious. Now, Stepneygate has blown the doors off of McLaren's house of credibility. Ron Dennis is a master at manipulating the FIA, but it will take a miracle to get him out of this one. Ron Dennis is a piece of white trash who has put McLaren into a position of diminished credibility. Given only the evidence that was released by the media McLaren is guilty. If we only know the full of it. What McLaren loses this year won't matter, because they made up years of ground in research and development. It is sick, sad and awful and if you are too ignorant to see that than shame on you.
Sorry but my knowledge of "Stepneygate" is very limited, I see it as a too big of a media circus and nothing else, I doubt anything will come out of it. If it does, sanctions will be given and that's the end of story. I won't be glad but I won't be ashamed the same as I wasn't with Juve, because at the end of the day we weren't exactly innocent.

Hiding? From what? Ron Dennis and Alonso kicking my ass?

There is something you have to know, Bernie Eccelestone owns this sport and he knows what it takes to attract crowds. Records and drama.

FIA stood by Ferrari and Schumacher a lot, why? Because they were making records and they were writing history, but until how long can they go doing what they were doing. At some point it had to stop and guess what? Bernie stopped it again.

I am sure he sees in Hamilton what he saw in Michael years ago, so there is no surprise at all we are witnessing "privileged" treatment, and I, above all, has no right to complain as it went on once in time with the driver I support. However, I can complain on Ron Dennis' whining as he has been like that ever since I knew of hi existence.
I know all of that perfectly well, Bernie owns this sport and can make a lot of things happen the way he wants it, but as soon as those red lights go off there's so much he can do and the drivers and cars make the outcome.

Schumacher won in those same circumstances, why shouldn't Alonso or Hamilton or Raikonen, whoever the new Bernie favourite will become?

One day I had a dream when Schumi was kicking ass in vivid colour. He will own a Formula 1 team and his drivers will win championships. And they will do with class and style.
Schummi just doesn't go along with class and style, sorry.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Again I fail to see the connection, all that you've just made an example of can be pinned on Ferrari now. Their attitude, approach and managers are no worse than McLaren's. They've whined and whined throughout the years just as much, don't give me that crap, teams that loose whine. Call me biased, everyone is at the end, but I've always seen McLaren as the classier of the two teams.

Sorry but my knowledge of "Stepneygate" is very limited, I see it as a too big of a media circus and nothing else, I doubt anything will come out of it. If it does, sanctions will be given and that's the end of story. I won't be glad but I won't be ashamed the same as I wasn't with Juve, because at the end of the day we weren't exactly innocent.

I know all of that perfectly well, Bernie owns this sport and can make a lot of things happen the way he wants it, but as soon as those red lights go off there's so much he can do and the drivers and cars make the outcome.

Schumacher won in those same circumstances, why shouldn't Alonso or Hamilton or Raikonen, whoever the new Bernie favourite will become?

Schummi just doesn't go along with class and style, sorry.
Ferrari vs. Mclaren on classiness isn't even a question. McLaren are the biggest whinners in the sport. As you said whinners are loosers and until McLaren stole Ferrari's secrets they were poor losers. Please. Don't make me compare the racing history of the two teams to prove how far in second place McLaren is... how they don't even build their own engines... stop it. If you like McLaren more it is purely a result of your personal preference of Color scheme and or your desire to be unique and different.

Stepneygate is not just a media circus. McLaren stole technical secrets from ferrari, some 750 pages of priceless information that took years to uncover. This is absolutely above and beyond any petty shenanigans that has happened between the two teams in the past. To call a catastrophy like this a media circus is beyond asinine.

To say Schumacher was shown favoritism is ridiculous. The FIA tried to handcuff him and Ferrari for years and tarnished the fans opinion of him by talking about his rough driving. Ha... but they will put Senna and Prost and Mansell up on a pedastol who were just as "dirty". It is auto racing and it is part off it. The only time Ecclestone ever showed Schumacher any respect was in his last season because he wanted to milk the moment. Like any of that was real. Ecclestone has sucked a lot of life out of F1, but that is an entirely different discussion.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Trying to defend McLaren in their present situation is clearly defending the indefencible. From Stepneygate to the Crane it is so obsurd to even attempt to defend them. Sometimes, people need to take one or five on the chin and say... we'll be back. Denying any favoritism or wrongdoing is a waste of your time.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Trying to defend McLaren in their present situation is clearly defending the indefencible. From Stepneygate to the Crane it is so obsurd to even attempt to defend them. Sometimes, people need to take one or five on the chin and say... we'll be back. Denying any favoritism or wrongdoing is a waste of your time.
That's it, I'm out of here. See you some other time.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Ferrari vs. Mclaren on classiness isn't even a question. McLaren are the biggest whinners in the sport. As you said whinners are loosers and until McLaren stole Ferrari's secrets they were poor losers. Please. Don't make me compare the racing history of the two teams to prove how far in second place McLaren is... how they don't even build their own engines... stop it. If you like McLaren more it is purely a result of your personal preference of Color scheme and or your desire to be unique and different.
I never denied Ferrari was a bigger or more succesful team, and that is something completelly irrelevant in choosing a team. My choice of McLaren is a old one and inspired by my family and most of all Senna.
Stepneygate is not just a media circus. McLaren stole technical secrets from ferrari, some 750 pages of priceless information that took years to uncover. This is absolutely above and beyond any petty shenanigans that has happened between the two teams in the past. To call a catastrophy like this a media circus is beyond asinine.
If that's the case I'm sure they'll be properly sanctioned, deducted points, fined financially, etc. If it's not I'll just put a smile on my face and whistle along the way to the championship title. The verdict won't take too long from what I've heard.

To say Schumacher was shown favoritism is ridiculous. The FIA tried to handcuff him and Ferrari for years and tarnished the fans opinion of him by talking about his rough driving. Ha... but they will put Senna and Prost and Mansell up on a pedastol who were just as "dirty". It is auto racing and it is part off it. The only time Ecclestone ever showed Schumacher any respect was in his last season because he wanted to milk the moment. Like any of that was real. Ecclestone has sucked a lot of life out of F1, but that is an entirely different discussion.
Schumacher not been shown favouritism?? What a load of crock just came out of your mouth. :rofl:

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
I never denied Ferrari was a bigger or more succesful team, and that is something completelly irrelevant in choosing a team. My choice of McLaren is a old one and inspired by my family and most of all Senna.

If that's the case I'm sure they'll be properly sanctioned, deducted points, fined financially, etc. If it's not I'll just put a smile on my face and whistle along the way to the championship title. The verdict won't take too long from what I've heard.

Schumacher not been shown favouritism?? What a load of crock just came out of your mouth. :rofl:
I admire the reason for your decision to choose McLaren, but defending them blindly doesn't help them or you.

The second paragraphs shows your trust in the FIA's legal system. I on the otherhand, don't have any faith in the FIA to make an un-biased decision in this case. The FIA has always had it out against Ferrari and have always loved McLaren. Those are the facts that hopefully doesn't effect this case negatively. But, as I said, I think McLaren will get off with a slap on the wrist.

Schumacher has been punished excessively for every little thing he has done. What sanctioning body puts rules in place just to hurt 1 team? C'mon you have to see that.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I admire the reason for your decision to choose McLaren, but defending them blindly doesn't help them or you.

The second paragraphs shows your trust in the FIA's legal system. I on the otherhand, don't have any faith in the FIA to make an un-biased decision in this case. The FIA has always had it out against Ferrari and have always loved McLaren. Those are the facts that hopefully doesn't effect this case negatively. But, as I said, I think McLaren will get off with a slap on the wrist.

Schumacher has been punished excessively for every little thing he has done. What sanctioning body puts rules in place just to hurt 1 team? C'mon you have to see that.
Whether I trust them is irellevant, they're there to make the decisions and that's the bottom line. Like I've said I've heard bits and pieces of the whole affair and I don't like commenting about it, all I can do is wait for a verdict to tell me the truth. I certainly won't take your word over theirs, because whether they're biased or not is definetly not for a hardcore Ferrari fan to decide, no?

You should read other people's posts, Jack has described the treatment of Ferrari and Schumacher in their beginnings perfectly. While it suited the FIA, while they(Ferrari) were writing history, everything went their way and they were blatantly favouritised. But when the people got bored, when ratings started goind down, when sponsorships were terminated something had to be done and that's when Ferrari was stopped being favoured.

Ecclestone is FIA, he runs the game but when the red lights go off he can only do so much. The game has been like that for over a decade, we may not like it but that's how it is.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Another article from "Il Corriere della Sera" about the London High Court proceedings. There's also an image of the official documentation (just click on the heading below the image in top left):

http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Cronache/2007/07_Luglio/26/ravelli.shtml

I'll try to translate. Please understand that I'm doing this in a hurry, so forgive the xxxxpy English. Items in square brackets are added by me, items in "" are quotes the newspaper makes from the document, except the "red crow" remark:

"The most secret document of the most secret history in F1 is worth 5 pounds and 40 cents. Chancellery [? unsure about this, the office where the documents are stored] of the London High Court, fifth floor of Thomas More building: just three floors over that, on the 10th of July was held the first hearing of the civil case between Ferrari and Mike Coughlan, McLaren ex chief designer. All you need to do is to ask (and pay the 5 pounds and 40 cents), and the boy behind the desk, after a long research, will produce a brown folder. It is the right one: Ferrari vs Coughlan.

These are public documents, so there's no problem; the clerk puts a stamp and here are the "particulars of claim", eight pages of details explaining why Ferrari sued the english technician for damage. The Maranello team has to provide reasons to the court; so it recaps the spy story from the beginning. This is their point of view, obviously. But the interesting thing is that the document has been given only after July the 20th. And this means the reconstruction, besides other Ferrari investigative sources, is mainly based on the affidavit, the sworn and written statement provided by Coughlan. And thus the points of view are two.

Coughlan, according to these documents, spilled the beans. Pointing at details, dates, and contexts. So in the request for damage Prancing Horse's lawyers can quote the emails "sent to Coughlan by Mr. Nigel Stepney, regarding some Ferrari details"; and cite the names of McLaren's managers who "looked at the emails" or other confidential material and did not tell him "destroy them". At least not immediately. They are "Martin Whitmarsh", "Paddy Lowe", "Jonathan Neale" (whose names came out in the press during the last few days) and "Rob Taylor, the designers' team leader". At the end of the reconstruction, Ferrari makes a very precise accusation: "The difference between the two teams is so close this year that it's obvious that the points McLaren has over Ferrari are a consequence of McLaren's chief designer having confidential information". They also quantify an exact damage: "Losing the championship would cost us 5.5 million euros". After having read this and heard McLaren's defense, today the FIA world council will decide if McLaren is guilty. Thas is, if McLaren gained an advantage from Ferrari's secret.

But let's get back to the beginning of the story. In March the dangerous liasion between Nigel Stepney (the ex mechanic team leader of the red) [car, n.d.a; in italian "the red" referred to a car means Ferrari] and Coughlan has already begun. Stepney is angry; his relationship with Ferrari has deteriorated since he didn't get a promotion he was after. Maybe he's out for revenge. He certainly sends an email to his friend at McLaren, in which he reveals three hot details: "i) the floor of F2007; ii) the flap splitters on the rear wing [? unsure about this... those should be some pieces which somehow "split" the flaps on the rear wing]; iii) the techniques to lower the floor". These are confidentail details which go straight - as can be read in the document - "in Coughlan's McLaren email".
And it's from now that the flow of information begins, the passing of data to the english team which the FIA today will be particularly interested about. Because Coughlan "shows the email about the floor to Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren's chief operation officer". Who, contrary to what has been told until today, does not tell him to destroy it but "suggests him to analyze the matter with Paddy Lowe, engineer's team manager". And not only that: "Coughlan shows a schematic of the floor to Paddy Lowe, who will bring it to the FIA. Then he also shows the email with the details of the rear wing: these, too, will be shown to the FIA".
We are now at the Australian GP (March the 18th). F1 season is just beginning but, as you can see, many things have already happened: in Melbourne McLaren asks the FIA to investigate Ferrari's floor. On which basis do they do this? "It is due to the knowledge of our confidential information - Maranello's lawyers stipulate - that they could bring forward the request".

Up until now it's Coughlan, Whitmarsh and Lowe to be informed about the "spy emails". But in these eight pages is written that after Melbourne's GP the chief designer "talks about this to Jonathan Neale, the director of operations". He's the third McLaren manager to be involved. Then, the dangerous liasion with Stepney, the "red crow", goes on. Coughlan wants to know more. He does not find any kind of resistance from the other side. So he "calls Stepney to appoint a meeting in Barcellona. During the conversation he asks details about the braking setup used by Ferrari drivers". The meeting takes place on April the 28th: Stepney doesn't limit himself to show general informations about the brakes, but "he gives a proper design spec". On next Monday, back in Woking, Coughlan shows it to Rob Taylor, head of McLaren's designers. A new person, which had not been involved until now. Another one of the team which knew. But this is not even all: because it's in that meeting at Barcellona, when the exchange about the now infamous 780 pages takes place.

After that huge delivery there will be further ones, of lesser importance. For example, according to the Maranello's team, "on May the 25th Coughlan shows at least two of those pages to Neale". But the true treasure is to be found in those 780 pages. Which, unfortunately for him, "around June the sixth Coughlan will give to his wife for scanning. The operation takes place on June the 11th in a copy shop". And it's here that the english engineer does a huge mistake. It will be one of the copy shop's employees which will warn Ferrari with an email. But this is not written in the document. What is written is the contents of those pages: "Everything needed to draw, design, build, check, test and race an F1 car". Which means "designs, reports, technical documents about weight distributions, aerodynamics, suspensions, gear, hydraulic system, and the water, oil and fuel systems". And also "details about some specifications of the 2006 and 2007 cars". But also managing details: from "documents relating to trip expenses" (one of Stepney's responsibilities, ndr) which could have been used to evaluate the amount of materials brought to a GP, up to "informations on budget". From which it can be found out where Ferrari's big investments will be in the following years. A disaster, according to Ferrari's lawyers. Who will today ask, with these documents in hand, sporting damages for the "unfair disadvantage utilized by McLaren". A disadvantage worth 5.5 million euros. Discovered in a document worth 5 pounds and 40 cents.

Despicable.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Well thanks for the translating effort Tony. All that's fine and dandy from and Italin newspaper Corriere. I take all newspapers, not just Italian, with not a pinch, but a handful of salt, because this is what they live for after all.

I hear Dennis is certain of McLaren's innocence and that all will be resolved at the FIA meeting, that's good enough for me untill the hearings are complete.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Well thanks for the translating effort Tony. All that's fine and dandy from and Italin newspaper Corriere. I take all newspapers, not just Italian, with not a pinch, but a handful of salt, because this is what they live for after all.

I hear Dennis is certain of McLaren's innocence and that all will be resolved at the FIA meeting, that's good enough for me untill the hearings are complete.
This article was based off of Coughlin's affadavit. It is not just a perspective piece, but if that is how McLaren fans have to spin it right now I understand. I am not sure how I would handle this issue if the tables were turned. I think I would be ashamed and admitting, but then again that is easy to say from my side of the table. There is a meeting with the FIA World Motorsport Council today on this issue. As I mentioned, Ron Dennis is the biggest politician in F1 and will totally get off with a just a slap on the wrist. F1 can't afford to lose fans because of a scandal right now. Look at what is happening in Bicycle Racing. F1 is a business and the FIA and Ecclestone are beneficiaries. They will do what is right for their business, not what is right for the sport. I am not sure if that is right or wrong. Possibly, it is incorrect morally, but the correct thing realistically. Either way, the whole mutual respect relationship I had with McLaren is pretty much over. For shame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)