Formula One 2007 (13 Viewers)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

If it was Alonso, Raikkonen, or Schumacher it would NOT have happened. I am sure they have been in similar situations. I forget the track, but Schumacher had half the car on the track and half the car off and was able to get a push. This is the closest thing I have heard of. I am sure the rule did not mean this, I am sure the rule was exploited, and I am sure the wording will be changed to prevent this debochery from happening again.

As for your last point. I was over it as soon as it was confirmed he finished 9th, but it is not an issue that should be swept under the rug. This is a totally silly situation and needs to be sorted out because we can't have this happening again. It sacrifices the integrity of the sport. Think from an outsider in. Look at all the things that transpired for Lewis in those 15 minutes. It is quite laughable actually.
I don't know what you're talking about, I've seen numerous times when cars were helped back on the track. If the engine is running it's allowed to help the driver, if it's not the car must be removed from the track. End of story. This with the crane was funny and I can't say I approve of it but big freaking deal, not like he won a point or anything.

No set of rules is perfect, that applies especially for F1, but they're here to be followed. Hamilton was extremelly lucky but didn't do anything wrong at the end of the day. If the rules are gonna be change I hope they change a lot of them, starting with the idiotic qualifying system and most importantly the points system, this kind of thing should be last on the list of things to improve.

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

He wasn't between any lead cars... he was behind them. He went from last to last and gained a lap. Silliness.
:sigh:

Perhaps this explanation of the rule will work better for you, it's all over the web, nothing silly about it, that's the way it is.

- When the clerk of the course decides it is necessary, all lapped cars who are out of sync. behind the safety are asked to overtake the safety car and lap the circuit, rejoining the rear of the tail in position.

This bit is a little ambiguous, as it implies that they have just unlapped themselves. However, it does mean for closer competition, Spyker won’t always finish a race 32 laps down, and the lap they are on doesn’t make much of difference to the competition aspect of the sport.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
I don't know what you're talking about, I've seen numerous times when cars were helped back on the track. If the engine is running it's allowed to help the driver, if it's not the car must be removed from the track. End of story. This with the crane was funny and I can't say I approve of it but big freaking deal, not like he won a point or anything.

No set of rules is perfect, that applies especially for F1, but they're here to be followed. Hamilton was extremelly lucky but didn't do anything wrong at the end of the day. If the rules are gonna be change I hope they change a lot of them, starting with the idiotic qualifying system and most importantly the points system, this kind of thing should be last on the list of things to improve.
You can thank McLaren for changing the points system. I hope you are implying that we return to the old style qualifying and the 10-6-4-3-2-1 points system. Those were the best. My biggest beef is the idiotic tire ruling. Spec tires are for America's childish racing series, not for F1.

Back on the Hamilton matter. You can sit with your rulebook all you want, I haven't denied the ruling, but you know the rules were explioted and special circumstances were apparent.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
BTW, Monza 2004, Alonso spun on his own oil leak and kept his engine running. he was barely in the gravel and asked the marshalls to help him onto the circuit. After some debate the marshalls said NO switch your engine of.

Link:

BTW, I miss the jordans.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

You can thank McLaren for changing the points system. I hope you are implying that we return to the old style qualifying and the 10-6-4-3-2-1 points system. Those were the best. My biggest beef is the idiotic tire ruling. Spec tires are for America's childish racing series, not for F1.
No, you can thank Ferrari and Schumacher for killing the competitivness of the sport and "forcing" FIA to change the point system to get a little back competitivness. I certainly don't approve of such a thing though and I never have. Old point system was the best, then a win actually meant a whole lot more than a second place. The tire rule I don't agree with as well, neither do I agree with carrying the left over amount of fuel from qualifying to the race. Tactics and strategies should be left to be freely chosen before each race.

Back on the Hamilton matter. You can sit with your rulebook all you want, I haven't denied the ruling, but you know the rules were explioted and special circumstances were apparent.
That's the point, were it any other driver you wouldn't have given a rats ass. I'm trying to explain that to you, it's a rule that applies for everyone not just him.

And yes you have denied the rule, because you were obviously unaware of it, by saying:
Hamilton fan or not, this was a huge show of favoritism and it is being addressed in F1 offices for certain.
Sorry pal but if something is already in the rules and those rules were not broken its outcome can't be changed. The rule itself can be changed for future scenarios though, but no actions against Hamilton will be taken I'm afraid.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

BTW, Monza 2004, Alonso spun on his own oil leak and kept his engine running. he was barely in the gravel and asked the marshalls to help him onto the circuit. After some debate the marshalls said NO switch your engine of.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPMxKElryI

BTW, I miss the jordans.
An oil leak is dangerous, if he spun a leak once he could have done it again in the race, no?

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
No, you can thank Ferrari and Schumacher for killing the competitivness of the sport and "forcing" FIA to change the point system to get a little back competitivness. I certainly don't approve of such a thing though and I never have. Old point system was the best, then a win actually meant a whole lot more than a second place. The tire rule I don't agree with as well, neither do I agree with carrying the left over amount of fuel from qualifying to the race. Tactics and strategies should be left to be freely chosen.

That's the point, were it any other driver you wouldn't have given a rats ass. I'm trying to explain that to you, it's a rule that applies for everyone not just him.

And yes you have denied the rule, because you were obviously unaware of it, by saying:
Sorry pal but if something is already in the rules and those rules were not broken its outcome can't be changed. The rule itself can be changed for future scenarios though, but no actions against Hamilton will be taken I'm afraid.
First point is obsurd. Blame Schumacher and Ferrari for kicking so much ass that the FIA had to cut them down instead of giving the mighty McLaren team a chance to compete on their own. It took Ferrari 5 years after they had Schumi to catch up to front of the pack. Any the dominated so much that no one would watch and all the team complained (McLaren especially). It took McLaren 5 and they had to whine for rule changes and steal technical data to do it. Please, blame Ferrari for what? Achieving as every team wishes they could. That is silly.

Yes I would have cared if it was any other driver. It has never happened before though. And for it to happen to Lewis Hamilton is such an obvious example of favoritism. You have to be blind to not see this. The FIA is now going to have to change the rule or allow every car that spins out (who most just shut their engines off immediately because they know better) to continue. This is not good for the sport.

The rule did not, and never did, mean what it was used for on Sunday. The FIA will certainly have to do something about it. As far as the lap back rule... it is stupid and was over stressed in this situation as the first. I don't have as big of a problem with it, but it did compound the initial issue. It is pure blindness to not think this was clearly favoritism.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
BTW, I remember Ralf getting punted in the same race, his tires spinning madly and him not being helped onto the track by a crain. He is German too.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

First point is obsurd. Blame Schumacher and Ferrari for kicking so much ass that the FIA had to cut them down instead of giving the mighty McLaren team a chance to compete on their own. It took Ferrari 5 years after they had Schumi to catch up to front of the pack. Any the dominated so much that no one would watch and all the team complained (McLaren especially). It took McLaren 5 and they had to whine for rule changes and steal technical data to do it. Please, blame Ferrari for what? Achieving as every team wishes they could. That is silly.
You're an idiot and your reading comprehension is close to zero. I specifically bolded the part where I told you I didn't approve of it. Ferrari did nothing wrong, they achieved what every team strives for, perfection. They didn't do it undeservedly but quite the opposite. It was unfair from the FIA and if were it up to me I would never had done it. Capisce?

As far as the lap back rule... it is stupid and was over stressed in this situation as the first. I don't have as big of a problem with it, but it did compound the initial issue. It is pure blindness to not think this was clearly favoritism.
Yes it is stupid but it's how it is. Imagine Driver A leading the race by 1 minute and 30 seconds ahead of driver B, while the lap lasts only 1 minute and 31 seconds. An accident happens, the safety car comes out and Driver A has lost practically a whole lap of advantage. It's not fair by all means but that's how the safety car works. Safety Car = new start of the race.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Here is a good post from another forum:

"Anyone with any objective (rather than subjective) sense can see that driving a crane into a gravel trap at the end of a dangerous, near zero visibility trouble spot to crane a car back onto the track, by driving said crane TOWARDS oncoming traffic is infinitely more dangerous than a marshal running to the front of hamiltons car and waving his hands to signal 'turn it off'.

Hamiltons car was not in a dangerous position, it was burried 50 meters into a gravel trap, a device designed to safely contain multiple spinning cars.

The gravel did its job. The car was safe. Hamilton was out. He should not have been helped. "

The rule is put in place to improve safety. Not preserve a championsihp

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I already said I didn't approve of a craine getting involved either, it was rather stupid and funny at the same time, but he had the prerequisites to continue the race(engine running) and so he did.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Another good point:
"Before the car was ever attached to the crane,the motor should have been off and the driver should have been out of the car.
Craning a car with a driver in it even four feet off the ground is very dangerous even with the motor OFF.It's not the same as pushing the car out of a small rut in the gravel pit.FIA officials should have walked over to McLaren and said,"When he comes around the track,tell Hamilton to bring the car in and park it,his day is over."The people that hooked Hamilton's car to that crane and the operator who moved it should be fired.
Suppose we saw a sliding driver get his head taken off by the bottom of Hamilton's car? This entire incident was dangerous from start to finish.All those cars should have been removed from the track over the wall and all those drivers should have been out of the race.What's going on with rules enforcement at the FIA?-this is getting ridiculous."

One car (Liuzzi) actually hit the crane.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
I think a precedent has been set. If you spin off the track and even if you end up about 50 meters from the track near the tyre barriers,you sit in the car until the crane puts you back on track. I think all team owners shd pass on this information to their drivers. That is the moral of the story.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Australia rules out night race for 2008
Australian Grand Prix organisers have dismissed the possibility of running a night race in Melbourne’s Albert Park - at least for next season.

They are, however, proposing a later start time for the 2008 event, making the schedule more TV friendly for European audiences.

"Our investigations have convinced us that as things currently stand, the disadvantages (of a night race) outweigh the advantages,” said Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) Chairman, Ronald Walker.

“Instead, we have decided to run the F1 race later on Sunday, moving the start time from 2pm to 3.30pm. We need to ensure all of our partners are comfortable with this and we’re working through that process now.

“Going later will benefit fans at Albert Park who will enjoy an even bigger day of entertainment and people watching the race live in other parts of the world, especially Europe where fans will be able to get up closer to breakfast time.”

The AGPC plans to stage the 2008 Grand Prix on March 13 to 16, subject to FIA approval, in a meeting that will also see the return of the highly popular V8 Supercar series to the line-up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be fine by me, that makes it 6:30AM for me which is something I can live with. Too bad about the night race though, I've been looking forward to that.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
And to the surprise of McLaren, after their constant whining to change the rules, Renault come on top with Alonso. So the only thing they were left with is to get Alonso. McLaren is by far the most pathetic team Formula 1 has ever seen. In many ways they remind me of Inter and in many ways Ron-I-whine-because-I-love-to-and-I-signed-a-new-whiner-to-help-me-Dennis reminds me of Moratti.Such a shame things are (made) to go their way nowadays but their time will come.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
My ass? It's something they will never ever reach.

Then again if you consider me cheering for anyone in Formula 1 this season or any coming season (until there is change) you are very much mistaken. Enjoy you season just like Inter fans enjoyed their latest season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)