Football Manager 2020 (62 Viewers)

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Q1: How do you manage to play them so many games? That's my first lesson I think. I usually have 22 players if I am a big team that plays 3 games a week. So I play my first line up two games a week and the backup lineup the third game. My starting players don't even come close to 50 games a year.

Q2: Why low crosses when you have Ronaldo in the box?

Q3: How are you able to... well... with everyone pushing up there must be huge amount of gap to leap into for opposition, especially behind Benta and Eriksen. Or on the wings since wingers go inside even if Benta does go wide. So I suppose the wingbacks push up but then they leave gaps behind them. How are you able to not get damaged by the gaps you leave behind?

Q4: Everyone seem to use "get stuck in", whenever I do I get crazy amount of cards (even if my team is not particularly aggressive players and cohesion is high). What's your experience?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Q1, they start 50 games, but they dont finish 50 games :D I sub out anyone who has 76% fitness or less immediately around minute 55-60, every game. I just played your Brescia in congested week, benched Ronaldo whole game, while took out Dybala as soon as he scored around 54th minute, Haaland starting with him, and Fabio silva coming in to score (get this kid asap).

And I have a HUGE squad I rotate heavily with (more then 22, around 24-25 plus 22 age players, and many top level depth under 22 of age). Have 6 overall CBs LOL (planned on 5, but Rugani refused to leave, and dont have in my heart to let go of Chiellini) Hakimi as backup RB, and until recently Cuadrado too, both Telles and Pellegrini backup Sandro (they play 30 games each almost for brazilians, Pellegrini 10-15), around 7-8 top quality CMs where worst player is Tonali (loaned out Zaniolo, Palacios on top of that). Winger backups that are Jao Felix, Sane, Costa and Orsolini (last one I have mainly for registration). I rotate most of all these positions alot except for key week games, except for the strikers, which I consistently start and only rest if a must. Haaland is only attacker I had thats close to their level, so he starts every 2-3 games maybe.

Your point about rotation brings up a good point, besides burden on wage bill, I could have had this huge squad entirely because alot of key backup players are under 22 still, so dont need to be registered for squad list in league (De Ligt, Romero, VanHuedsen, Pellegrini, Hakimi, Tonali, Camavinga, Haaland, Kean, Fabio Silva). But when some of them came of age soon, like Demiral just did, then it I have will have to trim the squad big time next summer :D Prolly Chiellini/Bonucci, Costa or Orsolini might be gone. Plus Alex Telles sold for big fee (PSG offered 70m I said no lol), so I can give all the backup minutes to Pellegrini who seems too highly rated in this game lol.

Q2 Low crosses because IMO they are more dangerous most of the time, the wingers are really dominant cutting in, and they find with low crosses more I noticed, plus if I have high crosses it seems the fullbacks cross to eachother rather then work it into the box, its weird. But low crosses fits with the tiki taka baseline too. I still get headed goals at times from Ronaldo, Haaland and De Ligt. And because they are inverted, they go into box alot (as do my mezzala), with deep laying playmaker making last pass to overlapping wingback for the cross, and when they do to play it low, it tends to be 2 CFs, 1-2 wingers and a CM in or around the box to find with low crosses.

But if we being honest, no matter the tactic, in this ME, the most way you get goals is long balls behind defence line on counters, especially when you have top level playmakers/crazy wingers.

Q3 this is the trick, majority of the games I leave this high line, except when I face PSG/City etc in away games, every game I get couple balls behind my defence, its worth the risk, because this compact high line coupled with intense high pressing is really rewarding and good way to stop ball holder to find these long balls too often. Can maintain pressure more and hence attack to massively outscore or /keep/get back possesion more easily. Its riskier with smaller clubs, but works for me because all CBs except Bonucci are fast enough, and the 442 shape actually balance things out, especially when you have it narrow and high pressure, with CMs on support duty.

Q4 I actually like the get stuck in mode, its not absolutely necessary for high pressure to be successful, but its still effective. And I get ALOT of yellows, but almost never a red card, I think I gotten 1-3 red cards in 2 seasons, thats nothing. Also the constant flow of yellow helps me rotate my squad better when whoever gets 1 game suspension for going over 5 game limit for yellows :D Its mainly the fullbacks, and I have overqualified ones.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
@Osman Before I begin. Thank you very much for exactly the kind of response I was hoping for!

Regarding Q1: Honestly, why didn't I ever think of that? I see it in reality all the time, so why didn't I...? Oh well, I will adapt from now on!
Well I suppose there's not for no reason they talk about Juve's superiority in terms of width in Serie A, you do well to exploit it be the testament of it. I wish I could but Brescia lack funding for width. Kind of curious how @Gagi deals with it since, I assume, his squad is always the underdog. But then how the heck do you keep everyone happy?
How has Camavinga been doing for you? What roles did you use? He looks quite intriguing, scouted him for Brescia earlier but didn't have the money. Romero looks like a beast, same with Demiral, at least in my save.
Yeah Pellegrini does, although I have barely seen him play even his YouTube videos are kind of a let down. I signed him for my Brescia though. :)

Q2: I apply them too unless I have a Mandzukic (which I never do), and I agree. Not sure why the fullbacks/wingbacks are so strong. Sabelli used to be my RB, he's not only a backup, and I've asked him to not dribble and so forth because he has 9 in dribbling, 8 in flair, and so on. But the dude takes on the ball and dribbles down to the corner flag each time he gets it. He has zero end product though (can't cross even if his life depended on it).

Q3: What do you do when you notice that they are going for direct balls distributed over your backline? Against e.g. City and PSG? What do you typically change?

Q4: lol!

Side note: getting real tired of these flukes. My GK just threw the ball in the opponents face. He missed the open goal, fortunately, but wtf?! It wasn't even an attempt to counter with a fast throw or anything. He just saw a chance to throw the ball at someone's face that he didn't like.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I change to lower defensive line to standard and covering instead of defend on ball playing CBs when facing uber fast and deadly attackers on super hard away games only. On the rest I prefer the very high defense line to get ball back quickly.

For Camavinga, I only had him for 3 months so far, it's actually really hard to find playing time for him, loaned out Zaniolo to Valencia bank on Camavinga. Added him because he is really tough and physical besides skillfull. Rest of my CMs are soft playmakers except Bentancur.

Also I only use deep laying playmaker for him, Mezzala for whoever partners him.

Last edited:

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Its tough to compete with a Dybala that wins balon D or and scores 47 goals in 51 games. A ronaldo that comes 2nd to that award and scores 50 goals in 53 games. And Håland that gets best young player in Europe award with insane production off the bench.
Dybala is better and also won the Ballon d'Or in my 2nd season [CR7 won the award in my 1st season].

Also, I sold half of my team to PSG, lol [Khedira, Matuidi, Mandzukic, Douglas Costa, Cuadrado, CR7, Ramsey]. Sold Demiral to Tottenham, Rabiot to barca, Pjaca to some Spanish team I think and Higuain to Man Shitty. As for loan deals, Romero is on loan till he gets to a higher level, Pellegrini also, [dude will become a beast] Moussa Wague [I highly recommend signing him] and Bentancur.

As for the players I brought: Mbappe, O. Dembele, Eriksen, Romagnoli, Neves, Oblak, SMS, Odriozola and Gabriel Jesus.

- - - Updated - - -

Dejavu, anyone?

ÇL final.png

Last edited:

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
@Osman Most of my team was out injured or very tired. Had Dortmund around the corner but first a game against Cremonese where I was forced then to rest most players. Tried your tactic! To great success! Won with 4-0. Obviously, Cremonese aren't that dangerous but their players are better than one would expect. And my team included bench players + some youth players (see below). While some of the ones that started are better than Cremonese's players' the game should actually have been a more challenging contest, I think.

Looks like a tactic that works very well when you are superior or somewhat similar, so I'll give it more tries. But since I tend to be the underdog I will use it as the ace up my sleeve or against Cremonese-likes teams. :) Thanks for the share!

Skärmavbild 2020-01-03 kl. 16.11.18.png

Skärmavbild 2020-01-03 kl. 16.11.32.png

Skärmavbild 2020-01-03 kl. 16.11.51.png

Skärmavbild 2020-01-03 kl. 16.12.05.png

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
It's easier to keep the loanees happy because their role is blank by default :D

I got Zaha and Thorgan Hazard on trial :lol: I reckon Belgian will sign 1y deal. I'll probably get more vets and get rid of their wages if I get relegated.

Hopefully I'll play some FM tonight, working now.

I might record some FM video, fuck it, that would be fun.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
d8078c2b6f92b371e34487c8a9d5f97b.png

LOL

bloody hell man, what a game

their goalie was shocking

and ZAHA! Brilliant. 33 years old, season away from retirement

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
Realistic Pitch Textures by majesticeternety

d2130138a57464c735c92fc79c3e4c39.png

Screenshot_2.png.d720b7ea1687fa7d50b91a928ae18081.png

989599628_Verygood3.png.a3e3aa5c9593e4173e72e7757a025df5.png

DOWNLOAD

How to Use:

Extract zip. Put textures folder in Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020. In FM, go to Preferences, and Clear Cache. Then Reload the Skin.

If you need to remove the textures for whatever reason, just delete the textures folder, then in FM, go to Preferences, and Clear Cache. Then Reload the Skin. They will be back to default textures.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Well done! How has your first season in PL fared? Beyond Villa result that is. :)

@Marc I used to sell anyone stepping into their 30s. Nowadays some defenders have their prime there and some players I keep around for various reasons... that may have personalities that I want to influence my younger players, I might loose the dressing room if I let them go or they may be the only ones with decent leadership. Generally speaking I let them go when they hit 30 - if I have someone that can replace them and that are about to be or is already superior. But I mean, it all depends I guess. Gagi is kind of forced to sign Zaha and the likes to be competitive. I just signed Bale to Brescia, he's past his peak but can still shine in my Brescia. However, I would obviously never have signed him for Juve.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah I keep Chiellini solely for his leadership (he is not even vice captain, but still great mentoring), he is 36/37 and barely plays as last choice, but his leadership is ace. Ronaldo and Bonucci captain and vice captain for me. Resigned Bonucci to new contract due to said leadership, tho I was super close to selling him until he lowered his demands (Chiellini helped me with him).

But with others you have to sell, I like Costa for example my coaches keeps telling me declined alot already at 31. And I'm probably going to sell him in January.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Douglas Costa was great for me in the first season I've just finished, only problem was fitness. Surprise.

Made the team really young as the transfer budget both summers now is only €50m. Signed Haaland, Hlozek, Dani Olmo, Camavinga and a bunch of lesser knowns. Getting the own products like Romero, Pellegrini, Ranocchia, Portanova etc in and around the first team. Tbh there looks a bit of a gap from firstly Liverpool, but also PSG, RM and Barfa in terms of budget and talent. Liverpool are ridiculous on this, but tbf they are very good in real life.

Got rid of Khedira, Can, Ramsey (always injured), Higuain, MDS. Buffon left. Just about hanging on with the other older players, Mandzukic is very productive as a WTM.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Douglas Costa was great for me in the first season I've just finished, only problem was fitness. Surprise.

Made the team really young as the transfer budget both summers now is only €50m. Signed Haaland, Hlozek, Dani Olmo, Camavinga and a bunch of lesser knowns. Getting the own products like Romero, Pellegrini, Ranocchia, Portanova etc in and around the first team. Tbh there looks a bit of a gap from firstly Liverpool, but also PSG, RM and Barfa in terms of budget and talent. Liverpool are ridiculous on this, but tbf they are very good in real life.

Got rid of Khedira, Can, Ramsey (always injured), Higuain, MDS. Buffon left. Just about hanging on with the other older players, Mandzukic is very productive as a WTM.
I agree Liverpool is very good but it is quite annoying how overrated the EPL players are. Robertson is a great LB - not saying he isn't - but his defending and positioning in reality is not that good IMO. Same could be said about Alexander-Arnold (who is even worse but because he is English...). Joe Gomez is very promising but obviously not there yet. Looking beyond Liverpool and just taking a handful examples; John Stones, come on, he is not Chiellini. Luke Shaw... Jordan Henderson is not WC. Harry Maguire... and then lol, look at players like Harry Winks, you know, the lovechild of Pirlo and Gattuso. White English players are very overrated, while black English players look more like what I'd rate them too, e.g. Hudson-Odoi, Sessegnon. There are exceptions of course, like I mentioned with Alexander-Arnold along with others - and maybe I'm wrong (I hope so). But I do get the feeling that there is something to this (while I obviously can't prove it).

In short, if I click on a player in a English team, I can expect that he is fairly overrated.

@Marc I forgot to mention earlier, I always look at natural fitness because it correlates with decline. Ronaldo should have about 20 so his decline will be prolonged. Depending on what role the player has and how the changes in physique well go I also consider for how long I would still value that player's use. If it is a Gattuso that will loose stamina and is not great as e.g. an anchor man either, then I'd let him go quite early. If it is a Pirlo, I can keep him longer because his physical stats are less important even if they decline. And so on...

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
I also don't like older players when they are past their best except those I am emotionally attached to. [Dybala for example] So yeah, I get rid of them even if it becomes ugly. I always try to rejuvenate my team and buy wonderkids.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Also, side note, my scouts found this interesting player that I hadn't heard of before: Walter Gonázalez, striker from Paraguay. Looks very intriguing and cheap although I have no room to sign him ATM. If someone does, please let me know how he does. And no, if you're playing with Juve I doubt he is for you.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Yeah I keep Chiellini solely for his leadership (he is not even vice captain, but still great mentoring), he is 36/37 and barely plays as last choice, but his leadership is ace. Ronaldo and Bonucci captain and vice captain for me. Resigned Bonucci to new contract due to said leadership, tho I was super close to selling him until he lowered his demands (Chiellini helped me with him).

But with others you have to sell, I like Costa for example my coaches keeps telling me declined alot already at 31. And I'm probably going to sell him in January.
You play with CR7? I hate his guts, always try to get rid of him when I take charge of Juventus. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)