FIFA World Player of the Year - SCANDALOUS!!! (2 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
salman said:
there's a pro zidane lobby at FIFA,and a very strong one too.i dont think he deserved the award in 2003 either,and nominating him this time ahead of the likes of pirlo,buffon and henry is silly.
Zidane was clearly better than Henry in the World Cup.

If Henry wants some sort of personal trophy perhaps he should outshine everybody on the world stage, not just the EPL or a couple group games in the Champions League. I'm sick of all this whining about Henry.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Andy said:
Zidane basically single-handedly carried France through the World Cup... that must count for something.

And to be honest, most of the time the Italian defense kept the ball away from Buffon, apart from a couple games. So I'm not exactly sure why people think the exclusion of Buffon is such a surprise..
Oh did he now? He did miss France's most vital group game due to suspension. He had a great game against Brazil and was good against Spain. That's still only two games. Not to mention that he should have been suspended for the final because of a ferocious tackle against Portugal. No one even remembers the incident, but that just shows you how much FIFA favour him.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
zidane? wtf? will this be the first time a player wins world player of the yr for retiring?

as for henry? he is only good for 2nd place like he was at the cl and wc.

ronaldinho? oh my days based on his performance last year i wouldnt even put him in the top 20 shortlist for this award, as for his wc, i didnt even know if perreira called him up till brazil were knocked out.

and how on earth can henry who came 3rd in the european player of the yr be included when buffon who came 2nd hasnt been considered at all. those bloody french who thought henry shud of won european player of the yr shud of been tested for any form of intelligence in their heads, personally chimi wud of beaten henry :D

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Andy said:

If Henry wants some sort of personal trophy perhaps he should outshine everybody on the world stage, not just the EPL or a couple group games in the Champions League. I'm sick of all this whining about Henry.
zalayeta was clearly better than zidane at the wc, o wait uruguay didnt qualify, thats how crap i thought zidane was at the wc

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Badass Devil said:
zalayeta was clearly better than zidane at the wc, o wait uruguay didnt qualify, thats how crap i thought zidane was at the wc
Well I guess that statement doesn't speak very highly of your observational skills.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Andy said:
Well I guess that statement doesn't speak very highly of your observational skills.
he was very quiet untill the latter stages, but certainly not worthy to be even shortlisted in the top 3 i think the people with problems concerning observational skills are the people at fifa

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Seven said:
Oh did he now? He did miss France's most vital group game due to suspension. He had a great game against Brazil and was good against Spain. That's still only two games. Not to mention that he should have been suspended for the final because of a ferocious tackle against Portugal. No one even remembers the incident, but that just shows you how much FIFA favour him.
Zidane was great against Brazil as well as Spain, and in the Final against the Azzurri he was quite a threat until he was sent off in extra time. I would probably have to say he was France's best player in that match as well. For a player to dominate three matches in a World Cup and show the level of skill he displayed, it must count for something no matter a head-butt or red card. People continue to look far too much into this whole headbutt thing and thus try to demean the accomplishments of Zidane to a ridiculous extent... I have personally seen a bunch of people on this forum doing that at least. If someone is going to argue that Zidane was not the best player of the last decade they're gonna have to tell us who was and actually give us a little something called evidence. But nobody I have seen has been able to do that yet... not a surprise really.

Now don't get me wrong... I'm not saying Zidane deserves to win the FIFA Player of the Year Award this year. But just as the FIFA Player of the Year Award should be taken with a grain of salt... so should all this Zidane bashing. Frankly, just let it go for heaven's sake.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
The France NT was built on ZZ,we all know that, its unfair he gets all the glory for all of the matches he wasnt that good, its unfair to win awards only by his name again, there has been times with us that really worthed more and was valued for less, but this is how life is, now he is all wired with the "suits" to protect/support him,
i think its the other way around the headbutt outlined his decent, but not brilliant performance in this WC, noone was speaking about a magnificent performance by then, he had a few good games, but not good enough, as his glorified days,
Canna for ex worked a lot and was supersolid in EVERY match he played,
he also made the difference in our defence week in, week out, Italy's perfomance was based in Italy's defence and Canna had to curry his team without Nesta,
he was a great leader on and off the field and considering the REAL difficulties of being a Juventus player that days, his efforts were heroic,
ZZ was far from the hero/model Canna was this whole year,
let efficiency win elegance for once...

Apr 12, 2004
Andy said:

Exactly, Henry has not shown up at all this year, so far.

Apr 12, 2004
Azzurri7 said:
no i mean buffon. and stop being funny, though i'm loving your sig:kiss:

Buffon was not that great in the WC, both Barthez and Lehmann were better throughout the WC.

Ohh, and don't give me shite about how good he was because no one scored on him, LOOK, GROW UP, Italy has the best defense I have ever seen on a team, and an OLD French defense and a YOUNG German one in front of the other two players is a greater accomplishment to the GK's I mentioned.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Cronios said:
The France NT was built on ZZ

Not sure how the fact that the French National Team was built around Zidane has any bearing in this discussion... to think people would not build their team around Zidane and place him within a constrained system makes me wonder to begin with.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Because, its a different thing when a single person does the difference and shines all by himself
and a different thing when a group of ppl work for him, making his efforts count twice as good.
Canna should protect Buffon, cover the full backs, lead the defence and the team,
repair Matrix's mistakes, intercept and score some corners.
I agree that placing ZZ in the center of France's universe was the right choice, if someone was up to it, that was ZZ, but its a hard job keeping the team together for a midfielder of his age and in France's pace and ZZ did a fairly good job most of the times, but
as far as i m concerned he wasnt as he used to, being there means even more responsibilities and IMO some of them were not met both in WC and Spanish league...
ZZ did his duty but some players really excelled, the brilliant performance is the one that exceeds the standard performance
and the shiny performance is the one that shines when its almost hidden,
not shown.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Andy said:
Zidane was great against Brazil as well as Spain, and in the Final against the Azzurri he was quite a threat until he was sent off in extra time. I would probably have to say he was France's best player in that match as well. For a player to dominate three matches in a World Cup and show the level of skill he displayed, it must count for something no matter a head-butt or red card. People continue to look far too much into this whole headbutt thing and thus try to demean the accomplishments of Zidane to a ridiculous extent... I have personally seen a bunch of people on this forum doing that at least. If someone is going to argue that Zidane was not the best player of the last decade they're gonna have to tell us who was and actually give us a little something called evidence. But nobody I have seen has been able to do that yet... not a surprise really.

Now don't get me wrong... I'm not saying Zidane deserves to win the FIFA Player of the Year Award this year. But just as the FIFA Player of the Year Award should be taken with a grain of salt... so should all this Zidane bashing. Frankly, just let it go for heaven's sake.
No one is arguing about Zidane's achievements. He was indeed the best player of the last decade and comes very close to being the best of all time IMHO.

You say Zidane dominated three games, but Cannavaro dominated every game in which he played. I also think Pirlo had a far better WC than Zidane. Zizou was good at the WC, Pirlo was better. That doesn't change anything about Zidane's career though.

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
There were many players better than Zizou. It's clear that something is wrong with the way the players have been selected if a guy, who gets red carded for assaulting a player on the pitch is included on a short leet list of only three people!

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
i find it more amusing how out of those shortlisted, only canna turned on the style at the wc, yet they have beaten the likes of pirlo who was the heart of the mid, buffon the 2nd best player in europe, klose - top goalscorer AGAIN please can sum1 tell me what in the blue hell did zizou do to deserve world player of the year, the example he set in the final is one encouraged by fifa by awarding him the title? or comming 2nd in 2 major comps in 1 year - choking in both finals for henry is worthy of this prestigious prize? or perhaps the entertainer that every1 wanted to see, and didnt perform at all last yr - namely ronaldinho

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Rami said:
Why do I have the feeling that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing?

Zidane has been playing football for what? 15 years? more? Doubt that Matrix was the first player to curse him. I am sure he got that 1000's of times!

Pressure? He has been under pressure numerous times...WC98, Euro 2000, and CL Finals, apart from the day in day out pressure football players have to live with.

What he did is just downright stupid, and shouldn't be given any excuses IMO.
I second that.
+rep

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Has the forums become the home of conspiracy theorists?

Commies controlling the FIGC, Inter controlling the Serie A and Fifa being assholes towards Juve, what else?

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
Jacques said:
Has the forums become the home of conspiracy theorists?

Commies controlling the FIGC, Inter controlling the Serie A and Fifa being assholes towards Juve, what else?
next thing people will say del piero is god......oh wait that's already happned :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)