FIFA World Player of the Year - SCANDALOUS!!! (1 Viewer)

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Cannavaro makes FIFA three

Fabio Cannavaro could add the FIFA World Player of the Year award to his Golden Ball, it has been confirmed.

The Italian international defender has made the final three-man shortlist along with 2005 winner Ronaldinho and the now retired Zinedine Zidane.

The award, which will be assigned on December 18, is voted for by the Coach and captain of all the national teams under FIFA’s umbrella.

Cannavaro was this week crowned as Europe’s top player after he beat Gigi Buffon and Thierry Henry to the France Football honour.

Barcelona star Ronaldinho is in contention to win the prize for the third time despite a disappointing World Cup.

Zidane, shown red in the World Cup Final for his vicious head-butt on Marco Materazzi, has already triumphed in 1998, 2000 and 2003.

Cannavaro, who had never made the final shortlist before, would become the first defender to win the trophy and only the second Italian player after Roberto Baggio in 1993.

The Zurich presentation ceremony will also include prizes for outstanding performances at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

The tournament’s three best players – Zidane, Cannavaro and Andrea Pirlo – and three top scorers – Miroslav Klose, Hernan Crespo and Ronaldo – will be presented with awards too.

Brazil and Spain will receive recognition for their Fair Play during the tournament and Gigi Buffon will be applauded for being named as the World Cup’s best 'keeper.

Poor Gigi. No Ballon d'Or, not even a top three in the FIFA award. Not even in the top 3 best players of the WC? Just a simple best keeper of the tournament.

I wouldn't even show up to that damn ceremony. :tdown:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    It should have been Buffon, Cannavaro and Henry or Ronaldinho. Maybe even Eto'o but Zidane? Apart 2-3 good games in the WC he was on the decline with Real.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    what did zidane do this year ? not much, headbutted someone because of a comment..please, i got sweared on a thousand times when i play football against other school teams and havent even come close to banging someone with my head

what did Ronnie do this year ? went to CL final but didnt do anyting

Cannavaro and Buffon are the gamebreakers...and I would have to say, it has got to go to Cannavaro

Jan 7, 2004
    Eddy said:
    what did zidane do this year ? not much, headbutted someone because of a comment..please, i got sweared on a thousand times when i play football against other school teams and havent even come close to banging someone with my head

maybe it is because you dont play for the biggest trophy known to the world

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Don Bes said:
    maybe it is because you dont play for the biggest trophy known to the world
    Un-radical, he should act more professional

and if he was playing for the biggest trophy in the world, then why would he do something like that, again, un-radical

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Don Bes said:
    because unless you experience the pressure for yourself you shouldnt talk about it
    hmm, thats another good case..but when was the last time we saw someone slapping someone in any final competition..even Totti was on his best behaviour this year

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Don Bes said:
    no he doesnt. the national team doesnt pay, and if he did that in a Real game he would have gotten a fine
    the national team will pay even if they had won that final, and god knows how much it would have been again, but I doubt money has the bigger role here

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Don Bes said:
    they dont have a wage per se
    of course not, they don't have contracts, but they do get payed. a fixed amount per every group game + bonuses for draw or win, improved amount for knock-out games + bonuses for draw or win, and god only knows how much for winning the tournament. it's a one month competition, they get payed very, very much. but i get what you meant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)