FIFA player of the year (4 Viewers)

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
Messi was good in the groups stage but he failed greatly when it mattered (in the knock out stages).
Its harsh to say he failed, after carrying them through to that stage in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Di Maria was Argentina's best player until his injury, not Messi.
I would argue that Mascherano was better than Di Maria, Di Maria was so poor in 1 game....but scored the winner...crated by Messi.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
well, invisible would be a better to describe Messis performance on a stage where, as "the best player in the world" you have to be the best. i agree on Mascherano. he was insane good in the WC

OP
chester

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
  • Thread Starter #44
    I would argue that Mascherano was better than Di Maria, Di Maria was so poor in 1 game....but scored the winner...crated by Messi.
    Ok, Mascherano indeed is also an option for Argentina's best player of the tournament, but not Messi.

OP
    chester

chester

Too busy to bother
    May 20, 2006
  • Thread Starter #46
    Well, 3 MOTM awards means he was their best player, mate.
    2 of them probably because the guy is named Messi, as it was thew reason why he won player of the tournament.
    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Messi, but if he himself thinks he didn't deserve to win the award for best player of the WC, then why would anyone else think he deserved it?
    It was just a way of getting one of the best players of the world on the list, IMO, not the best player of the WC, Robben f.e. deserved it much more, or James R.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    2 of them probably because the guy is named Messi, as it was thew reason why he won player of the tournament.
    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Messi, but if he himself thinks he didn't deserve to win the award for best player of the WC, then why would anyone else think he deserved it?
    It was just a way of getting one of the best players of the world on the list, IMO, not the best player of the WC, Robben f.e. deserved it much more, or James R.
    agree.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
    I would probably agree with Robben and maybe James. I personally though Kroose was amazing, Schweinstiger too.

But Messi, at times carried that Argy team further than they should have gone Di Maria was poor mostly.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I agree, the most stood out player in the WC was James, and probably Garay from Argentina, i thought he was better than Messi tbh. But for the best player of 2014, then CR no doubt should win it, ripped everyone apart in 2014..
    Garay was good for sure. I think he's still grossly underrated because he doesn't play in the pretty boy leagues everyone fawns over all the time. But Mascherano and Di Maria I think were more instrumental than him in the WC.

I would probably agree with Robben and maybe James. I personally though Kroose was amazing, Schweinstiger too.

But Messi, at times carried that Argy team further than they should have gone Di Maria was poor mostly.
    Muller was a scoring machine... though mostly against Portugal. :sergio:

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
    From Argentina no one was close to Mascherano, he was fantastic.
    :agree:

Absolutely flawless, cannavaro-esque world cup performence. The guy was what held argentina together, if it weren't for him heck nigeria would've eliminated them.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    Mascherano for me was the best individual player of the world cup.

For years, cuntcelona is trashing the worlds best cdm, with their stupid gay ass footballstyle.

But at argentina, he showed the world just how fucking amazing he can be, when playing in his correct position completely domminating any fucking midfield in the world

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    agree. i liked him a lot at Liverpool when he played with Alonso. i hoped we can get him but his price was too high. i would still take him now.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
    Watching Robben not winning it to me reminds me of Del Piero's 90's performances. You have to be a well marketed player to win it, performance isn't the priority any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)