FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (93 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It's always the same excuses for the big teams. If they lose, it's either because it's not the World Cup or because Luca Toni the worst player ever started or because Donadoni couldn't get it right or because those damn Koreans fixed the match et cetera et cetera et cetera. And most are tired of hearing it.

My point still stands. Non-Italian fans of Italy never give credit where it is due when their team goes out. Never. They won't give it to Spain, they won't give to the USA, and they'll only give it to themselves or the players they like.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 30, 2006
But none of them are ball winners, i think that was Alen's point. He wasn't comparing the sets of players defensively. Rather, you should have a balanced team, with a solid ball winner in midfield to complement your creative players. Which i think is right.

One of the reasons Barca is doing so well, is that they have Yaya Toure, that allows Xavi and Iniesta to weave their magic.
Oh yeah totally. If I was a coach I would always play a ball winner too.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It's always the same excuses for the big teams. If they lose, it's either because it's not the World Cup or because Luca Toni the worst player ever started or because Donadoni couldn't get it right or because those damn Koreans fixed the match et cetera et cetera et cetera. And most are tired of hearing it.

My point still stands. Non-Italian fans of Italy never give credit where it is due when their team goes out. Never. They won't give it to Spain, they won't give to the USA, and they'll only give it to themselves or the players they like.
How are they different from Italian fans?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think this is underestimating the US a bit too. Spain's players were over confident in their ability to eventually score a goal, with their patient build up and all. But the US were combative in midfield, and gave more to the game than the Spanish did.

It has nothing to do with this being the Confed Cup. Nothing at all imo.
Ask yourself if you see the same thing happening in a World Cup ;).

There -> overrating them again.

Oh how many times have i heard the same about Spain and they never failed to fail at a World Cup.

My prediction is still valid: Spain will not make the semifinal next summer. Remind me about this prediction if they do.
Of course they won't. But they can still be the best team. In theory.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
There -> overrating them again.

Oh how many times have i heard the same about Spain and they never failed to fail at a World Cup.

My prediction is still valid: Spain will not make the semifinal next summer. Remind me about this prediction if they do.

I don't predict that they'd win the World Cup either actually. But for the past 3 years, they have been the best team, at least in Europe. No denying that. You can predict that they will choke in the WC(and i'll agree with you), but that doesn't change the fact that they are currently right now, the best in Europe.

This is like, someone coming and predicting that Real will win the Liga next year and Barca will choke and win nothing. It might be a valid prediction, but does it change the fact that Barca is the best team in Europe right now?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I don't know too many besides the Italian Americans. They seem to be much better than others.
I think you have it backwards. I think the inability to face their own failure is ingrained in the Azzurri mentality and all the foriegn Italy fans are doing is buy into that. They're not inventing it. Don't you remember how many statements there were in 2002 from various people in Italian football about what a travesty etc it was?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Seven, you gave me positive rep, not negative by the way. You have to click the bottom button to do that.
First and only time I will respond to you, because this is something other people might be confused by too: I only give positive rep. I never give negative rep, not even when I disagree.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I think you have it backwards. I think the inability to face their own failure is ingrained in the Azzurri mentality and all the foriegn Italy fans are doing is buy into that. They're not inventing it. Don't you remember how many statements there were in 2002 from various people in Italian football about what a travesty etc it was?
Excuses are for losers

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Martin, in all seriousness 2002 was a travesty. It was the biggest scandal of a World Cup people have ever seen. It was atrocious. Italy were denied five legal goals. That's half of their entire goal talley. Saying that they were sore losers is retarded.

And it wasn't just Italy. It was Spain too. And Belgium too. And the US too.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Oh yeah, but I only heard that from the press. I don't know any Italians personally, so I can't comment on them, which is why I didn't. If I did, I'd be labeled a racist, Nazi, et cetera.

Plusvalenza

The Photoshop Pervert
Jan 6, 2009
At normal circumstances I would cheer for US win with both Spain and Brazil, because I'm all for surprises in football. It's just American arrogance and lack of class that made me hate that team, so congratulations to you all, primarily to Andy who recently turned out to hate all non-Italian Juve fans, being one of them himself. But I especially love statements that Spaniards, who won it all and are already on vacation, are crap and overrated because of some ConfCup. I don't get your logic - why do you prefer to celebrate beating an overrated shitty team, than a special one?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
That's the thing. If you often expect to win and yet you mostly lose you become really good at making these excuses. It's the only way to reconcile the conviction that "we deserve to win" with the fact that we never do. Moreno might have been a awful ref, even corrupt. But it was Maldini who lost that header, it was Vieri who couldn't score and it was Totti who got sent off purely by reputation for diving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 93)