FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (11 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Btw loving the knee jerk reactions :lol:

Some of the comments i've read are just the very definition of knee jerk. Some people saying Spain is overrated. Ya, no wonder they just recently won the Euro's in emphatic fashion, no wonder they're unbeaten for 3 years now. :lol:

But ya, one game surely makes us forget the past 3 years, doesn't it?

Another great comment was people saying that Cannavaro was better than Spain's defenders today.:lol:

I just hope we're not talking about the Cannavaro we saw last season with Real Madrid, that was Real's worst defender in the Liga after Heinze. Just brilliant how Italian players get overrated on this forum

I think it's ridiculous too. It is obvious why the US won today. But some are getting carried away and are making racist comments in the process.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
But I really dont know if playing Senna is the best thing for them if it is at the expense of Cesc or Xabi.
It sure is.

Like Brazil at the world cup playing with Kaka, Ronaldinho, Adriano and Ronaldo, at the expense of a ball winner. Spain would have the same destiny as Brazil in 2006 if they don't play Senna (or a player with similar characteristics as Senna).

Dunga learned that lesson. People were wondering why there was no place for Diego and Ronaldinho, but in the end, it's all about balancing the squad.
Felipe Melo and Gilberto Silva aren't as attractive players as Dinho and Diego, but without the former two, Kaka and Robinho won't be able to show their magic.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It sure is.

Like Brazil at the world cup playing with Kaka, Ronaldinho, Adriano and Ronaldo, at the expense of a ball winner. Spain would have the same destiny as Brazil in 2006 if they don't play Senna (or a player with similar characteristics as Senna).

Dunga learned that lesson. People were wondering why there was no place for Diego and Ronaldinho, but in the end, it's all about balancing the squad.
Felipe Melo and Gilberto Silva aren't as attractive players as Dinho and Diego, but without the former two, Kaka and Robinho won't be able to show their magic.
Do you think you of all people could possibly agree with Burke's jokes in the mod thread, Alen? I wonder what you have to say about that.

Mar 10, 2009
Btw loving the knee jerk reactions :lol:

Some of the comments i've read are just the very definition of knee jerk. Some people saying Spain is overrated. Ya, no wonder they just recently won the Euro's in emphatic fashion, no wonder they're unbeaten for 3 years now. :lol:

But ya, one game surely makes us forget the past 3 years, doesn't it?

Another great comment was people saying that Cannavaro was better than Spain's defenders today.:lol:

I just hope we're not talking about the Cannavaro we saw last season with Real Madrid, that was Real's worst defender in the Liga after Heinze. Just brilliant how Italian players get overrated on this forum

dude spain are an excellent team

but here in england their treated like the best thing since sliced bread.

and the fact their always given easy groups isnt convincing either

euro 2008 was hardly a challenge either, all the good teams, including germany were crap. Spain was the only one that turned up

Sep 1, 2002
dude spain are an excellent team

but here in england their treated like the best thing since sliced bread.

and the fact their always given easy groups isnt convincing either

euro 2008 was hardly a challenge either, all the good teams, including germany were crap. Spain was the only one that turned up
Rational is a difficult skill to tackle without kicking yourself up your own backside.

Mar 30, 2006
It sure is.

Xabi is not bad defensively though. I would not compare him to Kaka and Adriano man. Same with Cesc. But if Senna is fit and playing well he will play no doubt I guess.

anyway
For them one defeat is not a big deal and really it could have been different if Villa or Torres put away some chances and Ramos was not so stupid with the ball in front of his net. I dont think this is a big set back for Spain ... Italy though have been set back very far after the confederations cup.

I think the many critics of Italy right now will galvanize the team again as they were before the WC last time around. If they did not play in this tournament what happened this summer would happen next but now I think things will be different.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Indeed, Fred is right, congralutating US is perfectly understandable, but to underselling Spain is ridicolous, they are still great, and prolly the best team in the world (Argentina, Italy, France, Germany, non of them compares, Brazil do though for being Brazil no matter what), as their 3 years form shows. They had a game which they didnt play with the right attitude, and only got going too late, but still dominated most of the game, and had lots of chances, so not really a weak performance, even if showing poor attitude.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Indeed, Fred is right, congralutating US is perfectly understandable, but to underselling Spain is ridicolous, they are still great, and prolly the best team in the world (Argentina, Italy, France, Germany, non of them compares, Brazil do though for being Brazil no matter what), as their 3 years form shows. They had a game which they didnt play with the right attitude, and only got going too late, but still dominated most of the game, and had lots of chances, so not really a weak performance, even if showing poor attitude.
The US won because of this. No team will show poor attitude during the World Cup.

Sep 1, 2002
Xabi is not bad defensively though. I would not compare him to Kaka and Adriano man. Same with Cesc. But if Senna is fit and playing well he will play no doubt I guess.

anyway
For them one defeat is not a big deal and really it could have been different if Villa or Torres put away some chances and Ramos was not so stupid with the ball in front of his net. I dont think this is a big set back for Spain ... Italy though have been set back very far after the confederations cup.

I think the many critics of Italy right now will galvanize the team again as they were before the WC last time around. If they did not play in this tournament what happened this summer would happen next but now I think things will be different.
I think you have made some good points here.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

anyway

But none of them are ball winners, i think that was Alen's point. He wasn't comparing the sets of players defensively. Rather, you should have a balanced team, with a solid ball winner in midfield to complement your creative players. Which i think is right.

One of the reasons Barca is doing so well, is that they have Yaya Toure, that allows Xavi and Iniesta to weave their magic.

Mar 30, 2006
Yeah Spain are still theb best team in Europe for sure. and Brazil is great too. I think both teams will go far in the WC.

I also think England under Capello is doing very well.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The US won because of this. No team will show poor attitude during the World Cup.
I think this is underestimating the US a bit too. Spain's players were over confident in their ability to eventually score a goal, with their patient build up and all. But the US were combative in midfield, and gave more to the game than the Spanish did.

It has nothing to do with this being the Confed Cup. Nothing at all imo.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
and prolly the best team in the world
There -> overrating them again.

Oh how many times have i heard the same about Spain and they never failed to fail at a World Cup.

My prediction is still valid: Spain will not make the semifinal next summer. Remind me about this prediction if they do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)