FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (6 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
icεmαή;2045235 said:
*Dossena was missing on the defensive front all game. It was like Italy was playing with 3 defenders. The number of times Dossena gets caught out of position is ridiculous.
*Don't know.
*Lack of motivation.
*Toni is overrated as hell.

Pirlo had a pretty average game IMO. Pity Lippi wants to run everything through Pirlo.
About Zambrotta, I don't think the problem is only due to motivation. Or perhaps you mean he has been playing an entire season without motivation?

I didn't mean Pirlo was great or anything, but he was definitely a lot better than Montolivo & De Rossi, better than most of the team actually.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
About Zambrotta, I don't think the problem is only due to motivation. Or perhaps you mean he has been playing an entire season without motivation?

I didn't mean Pirlo was great or anything, but he was definitely a lot better than Montolivo & De Rossi, better than most of the team actually.
:agree:

i wouldnt take inzaghi, but others yep.

i wonder who is going to partner chiellini when canna retires, gamberini? one of the u21 CB?
Italy is missing a pure goalscorer, and I believe Inzaghi still has it. He doesn't need to play every game, he can sit on the bench like he did in 2006.

Jul 15, 2006
molinaro deserved a call up over dossena, no sarcasm.
Perhaps.
icεmαή;2045229 said:
Molinaro is a pretty solid defender.
I really really do not think so there.
although i really predict grosso to us.
That seems pretty likely right now, aye.
icεmαή;2045232 said:
Grosso is pretty decent. He'd be an upgrade to Molinaro on the offensive front while retaining the same decent defensive performance. Molinaro has definitely improved from the 2007-2008 season, hopefully he'll continue to improve given that he's extended his contract and all...
Yep, Grosso will be a good for a season or so, problem with that before we know it we'll be looking for another leftback.

* Where was Dossena on the second goal?
Ice man got you on this one.
* Will Montolivo ever deliver on his huge promise? If yes, when?
Didn't really take his opportunity against Brazil, call up Marchisio.
* How exactly does one go from being the best fullback in the world to being a poor man's Grygera? Yes Zambrotta, I'm talking about you!
The only thing which Zambrottu and Maicon have in common is their red Nike boots.
* What the hell has happened to Toni since leaving Fiorentina?
60 or so goals he says. Choked in this tournament though, not that Iaquinta was a lot better.

Ok game by Gigi & surprisingly also Camo & Pirlo.
Gigi kept the Azzurri in the game on his own in the beginning of the game, can't do it all himself and the inevitable happened.

hopefully we see something like this in the future

---------------buffon------------
santon---chiellini--??----motta
---pirlo-de rossi-marchisio----
---------rossi--giovinco--------
-------------amauri?------------
You bastard! :D But yes. :agree:
Make sure you get Gattuso, too, just call it collateral damage.
Yep, althought he did come back from injury it wasn't the time to throw him in the deep end.

i wouldnt take inzaghi, but others yep.

i wonder who is going to partner chiellini when canna retires, gamberini? one of the u21 CB?
I don't think so either, and I think that may be Bocchetti.
He was weak apart from one last ditch tackle yesterday, I'd imagine Motta can take his place in a years time, hopefully with Juve.
I didn't mean Pirlo was great or anything, but he was definitely a lot better than Montolivo & De Rossi, better than most of the team actually.[/QUOTE]
Debatable. His set-pieces in the entirety tournament were abysmal.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
The only thing which Zambrottu and Maicon have in common is their red Nike boots.

Debatable. His set-pieces in the entirety tournament were abysmal.
I always knew Zambro & Maicon had something in common, I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. Thanks for the explanation. :D

Pirlo's free kicks were indeed abysmal. I think everyone will agree on this.
Maybe I just had very low expectations about Pirlo yesterday, but I feel he did ok.

Jul 15, 2006
:D

I always knew Zambro & Maicon had something in common, I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. Thanks for the explanation. :D
Trust me I had to think to figure that one out. :lol:

Pirlo's free kicks were indeed abysmal. I think everyone will agree on this. Maybe I just had very low expectations about Pirlo yesterday, but I feel he did ok.
Well, I really can't remember him doing anything relevant to be honest, I remember him turning Ramires, Lucio, and Robinho in one move but apart from that not really.

--
Buffon's interview just now he says: "“However, you have to realise that playing in the national shirt during these games is a lot different from playing in the League at home. It isn’t easy because you need experience and personality."
Well if they aren't playing it's hard for them to gain experience, but I suppose it was unfortunate timing with the U21's at the same time along with the injury to Santon. Atleast Lippi should know now who all he should bring to South Africa during the actual World Cup.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Lippi- he's too hard headed to call Cassano (reminds me of his war with Panucci), and I think he will avoid calling the players who can improve this team (Cassano, Foggia, D'Ago) just to try to prove others wrong. I hope I'm wrong, and Lippi gets a clue, because this embarassment wont wear off easily
:agree: on the whole post, plus those three players that you have mentioned are probably the most inform "italian" players last season.

And istead of them players like Toni (had piss poor season with bayern), ladyboy Pirlo who was out of form for the past 2 years, zambrotta :andyandbarcelona: , gattuso who was injured all season long were all been called.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9710142/Italy-in-need-of-clearout-to-defend-World-title

Italy in need of clearout to defend World title

"Unfortunately we're out and we're very upset," he said. "But people on the outside should stay calm about pushing for younger players, because you need a certain type of experience in these types of games.

"There are younger players, but let them mature gradually. These are the best players in Italy. Maybe they're a little out of form, but these are the best players and I'm not changing them."
I agree with lippi that young players should not be rushed specially to the NT.

But right now he doesn't have a choice, he either keeps those washed up unmotivated and aging squad or he introduces a set of younger players (probably 4-5 new players in certain positions).....

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
icεmαή;2045246 said:
:agree:

Italy is missing a pure goalscorer, and I believe Inzaghi still has it. He doesn't need to play every game, he can sit on the bench like he did in 2006.
yesterday italy missed 1: a whole midfield...pirlo was the only one who had some brains and was more in the game, the defensive midfield man didn't existed. 2: a rb and a cb, chiellini doesn't have (yet) the correct position when defending a very speedy forward..zambrotta is finished, he should retire or play for lecce. Toni (and iq 2) was useless but i cannot blame him in a match in which brazil dominated and played it's game.

Jul 15, 2006
yesterday italy missed 1: a whole midfield...pirlo was the only one who had some brains and was more in the game, the defensive midfield man didn't existed. 2: a rb and a cb, chiellini doesn't have (yet) the correct position when defending a very speedy forward..zambrotta is finished, he should retire or play for lecce. Toni (and iq 2) was useless but i cannot blame him in a match in which brazil dominated and played it's game.
I agree with everything, Blondu. Except that Pirlo didn't really make an impact, his set-pieces were always poor.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
I agree with everything, Blondu. Except that Pirlo didn't really make an impact, his set-pieces were always poor.
agree with that...but from an whole awful squad, pirlo was the 2nd man, imo ..after gigi of course, he had a :heart: of a game...i cannot imput him any of the 3 goals. I'm glad that our #1 is on top form

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
This crushing defeat might benefit Italy and strengthen her where it matters the most!
How? They cannot go out and buy players, they cannot suddenly find the determination and grit to try and win matches not relying on opponents giving it to em.

Italy from top to bottom has got to start trying more to win matches and not just coast to victories in their usual minimalist ways.

Look at the commitment of Egypt, South Africa and especially USA, teams with inferior players but a far superior attitude to the game and you will see where the problem lies.

Lippi has made a career out of playing players out of position and in international football, you would get punished for doing so. Too many of his picks are personal, that might work at club level where you can just go but johhny foreigner but at international level, it wont. Whats wrong with the likes of Di Vaio, Miccolli, Cassano etc that have had reasonable seasons?

The defence has been waning for years and now its officially a joke. Chiellini has got to be the crudest Italian defender I have seen since Materazzi that plays with his heart and not his head.

He commits himself so quickly and easily that its embarassing the way he concedes freekicks. The world many be snide about Italian defending but secretly they admire how sneaky they are in commiting fouls, not so Chiellini that Stevie Wonder can spot his fouls.

What the hell partnership is that with Cannavaro? Which 1 of them is supposed to bring the ball forward and if we do get either Grosso or Dossena, then I do really fear for our season.

Italy won the world cup because of the great form of Cannavaro, Buffon, Pirlo, Gatusso, unselfish runnings of Perotta and Grosso finding form from the minute he won a penalty against Australia, now Buffon apart, none of those players look like regaining any of that form.

The 22 he took to this confederation, about 15 are not really good enough and boy that is a very high number, where is he gonna find the quality to rectify this situation in less than a year bearing in mind his bias and stubborness?

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
icεmαή;2045295 said:
I wasn't talking about yesterday, I was talking in general... Inzaghi would definitely be an upgrade over Toni, thats for sure...
agree with you icey...toni hasn't been the same player after the 06 wc.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
He wasn't much in 06 either... I think he was good in the qualifying stages but in the tournament he wasn't standout or anything... Anyways I think Lippi will take him to South Africa, and thats sad...

Jul 10, 2006
icεmαή;2045306 said:
He wasn't much in 06 either... I think he was good in the qualifying stages but in the tournament he wasn't standout or anything... Anyways I think Lippi will take him to South Africa, and thats sad...
He had a brace against the Ukraine in the quarterfinals, should have scored against France but was denied by the crossbar.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
How? They cannot go out and buy players, they cannot suddenly find the determination and grit to try and win matches not relying on opponents giving it to em.

Italy from top to bottom has got to start trying more to win matches and not just coast to victories in their usual minimalist ways.

Look at the commitment of Egypt, South Africa and especially USA, teams with inferior players but a far superior attitude to the game and you will see where the problem lies.

Lippi has made a career out of playing players out of position and in international football, you would get punished for doing so. Too many of his picks are personal, that might work at club level where you can just go but johhny foreigner but at international level, it wont. Whats wrong with the likes of Di Vaio, Miccolli, Cassano etc that have had reasonable seasons?

The defence has been waning for years and now its officially a joke. Chiellini has got to be the crudest Italian defender I have seen since Materazzi that plays with his heart and not his head.

He commits himself so quickly and easily that its embarassing the way he concedes freekicks. The world many be snide about Italian defending but secretly they admire how sneaky they are in commiting fouls, not so Chiellini that Stevie Wonder can spot his fouls.

What the hell partnership is that with Cannavaro? Which 1 of them is supposed to bring the ball forward and if we do get either Grosso or Dossena, then I do really fear for our season.

Italy won the world cup because of the great form of Cannavaro, Buffon, Pirlo, Gatusso, unselfish runnings of Perotta and Grosso finding form from the minute he won a penalty against Australia, now Buffon apart, none of those players look like regaining any of that form.

The 22 he took to this confederation, about 15 are not really good enough and boy that is a very high number, where is he gonna find the quality to rectify this situation in less than a year bearing in mind his bias and stubborness?
Good points. But i believe that they are valid alternatives, both tactical and personnel related. The NT was overconfident, judging by their general appearance and Buffon's comments. They really needed that reality check!

The trust in the old ways and players has been shattered and Lippi will now try to find watch wrong and fix it!

For many years i ve been pointing out, the pitiful material the Italian NT has on defenders.
They used to have the best defenders in the world and they now have some weaklings. It seems that they had not realized that just yet.
I believe now, they do!! They should try other player and maybe some extra support from the midfield.
They cannot go forward as before, hoping that the defense will just hold by its own.
The attack will pick herself soon, as it becomes apparent that the best choices are Rossi, Cassano and eventually Amauri.
I believe that there is room for improvement if the escape from pre-conceptions and i ve always admired Lippi, because he was able to do that!
No one will oppose changes now, on the contrary, they will demand them!
The defensive coverage was absent, the midfield was overrun and bullied easily.
And that made them even more nervous and inefficient. If there is one place, where Italy has an abundance of quality and talent, thats the midfield, i am confident that it can be fixed! But they need to calibrate and support the defense and work in the efficiency of the attack!

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
icεmαή;2045237 said:
If I were Lippi I'd take three players to the world cup not called up in this tournament. Cassano, DP and Inzaghi...
Inzaghi would have easily done better than the useless Toni and Gila combined.

Jul 10, 2006
Eliminated Italy stun Kaka
Monday 22 June, 2009
Brazil star Kaka has admitted that he was surprised how badly Italy performed at the Confederations Cup.

The Azzurri were sent crashing out of the competition last night after a devastating Brazil side taught the world champions a footballing lesson.

“The 3-0 result was a surprise for me too,” noted the playmaker. “It was perhaps more than the difference between the two sides, but Brazil played a great game.

“It’s a shame that Italy are out, but they remain a very strong side and for that reason it is better that they are now at home as we all remember what they did in 2006.”

Asked why Italy were so poor at the tournament, the man who recently left Milan in a £56m deal for Real Madrid refused to interfere.

“You have to ask that question to Italy boss Marcello Lippi,” said the South American. “Nobody expected Italy to lose two group games at the Confederations Cup.

“I, however, remain grateful to Italy for all that they have given me. I will never forget the fact that if I am today an important player then I owe it all to you.”

from c4

Classy Kaka. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)