FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (12 Viewers)

Jul 10, 2006
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9710142/Italy-in-need-of-clearout-to-defend-World-title

Italy in need of clearout to defend World title

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) - Italy coach Marcello Lippi immediately faced calls for a squad clearout if it is to have any designs on defending its World Cup title next year following Sunday's embarrassing exit from the Confederations Cup.

The Azzurri exited the cup at the group stage after a 3-0 loss to Brazil on Sunday, three days after being beaten 1-0 by Egypt.

Italy could have advanced by scoring just one goal against Brazil, but Lippi's squad hardly threatened against a rampaging Brazil team and finished the tournament without scoring a goal against 11 men.

Lippi was immediately pressured to bring more younger players into the squad.

"Unfortunately we're out and we're very upset," he said. "But people on the outside should stay calm about pushing for younger players, because you need a certain type of experience in these types of games.

"There are younger players, but let them mature gradually. These are the best players in Italy. Maybe they're a little out of form, but these are the best players and I'm not changing them."

Brazil won Group A with a maximum nine points and the United States went through ahead of Italy on goals scored. The U.S., Italy and Egypt finished with three points each.

It's the second consecutive major tournament from which Italy has been eliminated early after its title in Germany three years ago. At last year's European Championship, Italy lost to eventual champion Spain on penalties in the quarterfinals.

Lippi returned after Euro 2008 and brought the core of his World Cup squad back with him. Twelve members of the 23-man squad here took part in the triumph in Berlin.

The only bright spot for Italy at this tournament was a laborious 3-1 win over the United States, when Italy scored all three of its goals after the Americans were reduced to 10 men.

Giuseppe Rossi came off the bench and scored twice against the U.S. and earned a start at center forward against Egypt, but Lippi's experimental attack with Vincenzo Iaquinta and Fabio Quagliarella misfired.

Lippi went back to Luca Toni at center forward against Brazil, but at 32 Toni concluded his second consecutive major tournament without a goal. Alberto Gilardino appeared in better form than Toni, but Lippi has tended to prefer the 1.92-meter (6-foot-4) Bayern Munich forward.

Lippi left talented but volatile striker Antonio Cassano at home and has not yet called up 18-year-old Inter Milan forward Mario Balotelli. There's no doubt the coach will face pressure to bring both players with him to South Africa next year.

"You can't just throw a young player into a game like this," Lippi said. "You need to bring younger players along gradually. If hadn't hurt his knee the other day, (18-year-old defender Davide) Santon would have definitely played tonight."

An even bigger concern could be defense, where there is no apparent heir to captain Fabio Cannavaro, who matched Paolo Maldini's Italy record with his 126th appearance Sunday. Italy's defense was constantly exposed as sluggish by the Brazilians' speed.

Unfortunately for Lippi, he doesn't have much more room for experiments, as Italy holds only a one-point lead over Ireland in its World Cup qualifying group.

from foxsports.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
like I said in my post, we, as Juve fans, better start getting concerned about this Canna-Chellini partnership.....they are pretty piss-poor

and PLEASE dont sign Dossena !!!!:frown:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
somehow, back to football.....

TOTAL EMBARASSMENT....thats the first 2 words that come to mind from this match. We were outplayed in every possible way, and I cant recall the last time I've seen Italy play so poorly.

At least in WC 2002, and Euro '04, we played some decent football, and had some great players in the squad, our only weakness was inept coaching. Now, the players are poor and the coaching is just as bad.

The older players on this team are past their prime, and most of the other players just arent good enough. With the exception of Rossi, none of the forwards showed me anything (granted, Iaquinta was played out of his favored position most of the time). I think DP or Inzaghi would have been better chioces than what we brought for strikers (we would have scored more goals, guaranteed) The midfield was slow and poor, while the defense was a shambles (being were Juve fans, I am concerned about how well Canna and Chellini are going to play together).

I am also of the opinion that we should play a 4-4-2, it is more balanced, and doesnt put our midfield on the constant disadvantage, and leaving everything to the defense.

Canna- past it

Zambro- way past it

Dossena- 12 total games for 'Pool, and he gets a call ?? NEVER AGAIN !!

Camo- just about past it

Gattuso- if Lippi wanted to bring him for support in the locker room, make him an assistant coach

Pirlo- slowing down, not his usual self

De Rossi- how many 35-40 yard shots is he going to try ??

Montolivo- not convincing me he deserves a spot

Quag- overrated

Toni- Vieri on crutches is a better option

Gila- unconvincing and weak......which is why Milan got rid of him

Pepe- lots of energy, lack of skill

Lippi- he's too hard headed to call Cassano (reminds me of his war with Panucci), and I think he will avoid calling the players who can improve this team (Cassano, Foggia, D'Ago) just to try to prove others wrong. I hope I'm wrong, and Lippi gets a clue, because this embarassment wont wear off easily
Vinman, I'm in 100% agreement with how you've called it here.

Jul 10, 2006
like I said in my post, we, as Juve fans, better start getting concerned about this Canna-Chellini partnership.....they are pretty piss-poor

and PLEASE dont sign Dossena !!!!:frown:
They've had two games together. They have entire summer and several friendlies to get ready for club football. They will be ok. Cannavaro isn't the long term answer, but he'll help out this season.

I agree on Dossena. lol

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
yea i no he is injured, im just saying. hopefully this will be a wake up call to our board in seeing dossena is terrible.

i would rather see molinaro play week in week out TBH.

although i really predict grosso to us.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Grosso is pretty decent. He'd be an upgrade to Molinaro on the offensive front while retaining the same decent defensive performance. Molinaro has definitely improved from the 2007-2008 season, hopefully he'll continue to improve given that he's extended his contract and all...

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
molinaro deserved a call up over dossena, no sarcasm.
:agree:

Watched the entire game last night, still I have some questions. Hope someone can answer them.

* Where was Dossena on the second goal?
* Will Montolivo ever deliver on his huge promise? If yes, when?
* How exactly does one go from being the best fullback in the world to being a poor man's Grygera? Yes Zambrotta, I'm talking about you!
* What the hell has happened to Toni since leaving Fiorentina?

Ok game by Gigi & surprisingly also Camo & Pirlo.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
:agree:

Watched the entire game last night, still I have some questions. Hope someone can answer them.

* Where was Dossena on the second goal?
* Will Montolivo ever deliver on his huge promise? If yes, when?
* How exactly does one go from being the best fullback in the world to being a poor man's Grygera? Yes Zambrotta, I'm talking about you!
* What the hell has happened to Toni since leaving Fiorentina?

Ok game by Gigi & surprisingly also Camo & Pirlo.
*Dossena was missing on the defensive front all game. It was like Italy was playing with 3 defenders. The number of times Dossena gets caught out of position is ridiculous.
*Don't know.
*Lack of motivation.
*Toni is overrated as hell.

Pirlo had a pretty average game IMO. Pity Lippi wants to run everything through Pirlo.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
hopefully we see something like this in the future

---------------buffon------------
santon---chiellini--??----motta
---pirlo-de rossi-marchisio----
---------rossi--giovinco--------
-------------amauri?------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)