Fifa 2004 (7 Viewers)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++

Does winning eleven 7 have a Fifa license this year?
for most teams yeah, they do have the official names. Even Brazil.

Is that the only reason why your getting fifa?! :rolleyes:
trust me, WE7 is waaaay waaaaay waaaaay better and if the names of a couple of unlicensed teams bother you, go in the edit option and change a few names.. it's only a difference of about 1 letter for every unlicensed player.....not a big deal!

Anyhow, It doesn't matter for me because i have the patched version with all the players in their correct teams, English menus, and correct English names.

Buy on AliExpress.com

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
Fifa Football 2004 – Review

by IceBlu

www.soccergaming.com

I popped in the CD, installation was normal. Loaded, and the game begins with the regular “EA Sports – It’s in the game.” We are then treated to a nice song – one of the many songs on the soundtrack and I have to say the entire soundtrack is awesome - Probably the best music till date.

Now to the actual game –

There is a menu with quite a few game modes which lets you choose the kind of matchup. I have to say, the interface of the menu is possibly the ugliest I have ever seen. Not only is it aesthetically ugly but it’s also “sticky” and nasty to use. It’s not responsive at all and this becomes a headache especially during multiplayer modes where time and internet speed is off the essence.

There is an added training mode which lets you choose one of the following training options – Free kicks (both direct and indirect), corners and actual practice games. These matches are played in training facilities and have a nice feel to it as you can listen to the traffic noises, instructions by the coach etc. The players on the field during training are in their team training jerseys which are a nice touch. All in all this is a really useful feature which should never have been taken off in the first place in Fifa 2003. Good thing they brought it back.

Now as I start a real game after a couple of matches, I check out team management and it has all the usual stuff. Team formations (all the usual ones and a few more than last year), substitutions, kick takers, team tactics etc. One thing that’s worth nothing is that they have included an “Offiside trap” option which is pretty self explanatory. I tried it in the game and it works well – perhaps a little too well.

Heres one thing that really annoys me – you can never see you starting 11 together in the menu while choosing the team. You see the first 9 and then you have to scroll down to see the other 2. Like I said, the menus are terrible. I’m not exaggerating.

Anyway, to the actual match – it lets you choose the team jerseys (home, away, 3rd). And then the game begins. The cinematics are the first thing that catches your eye - Players walking out of the tunnel to a packed stadium with the fans chants and other sounds. The ambience is very nice indeed. The players have a real feel to them as they stretch, pretend to talk to each other, pull their socks up etc. which adds to the solid feel of the game.

Kick off! The referee signals the start of the first half and off we go. The controls feel responsive compared to older editions of the game and passing has improved by leaps and bounds. Players actually seem involved in the game. The ground passes aren’t always predictable and get intercepted by the opponent on a regular basis which is a good thing. Same can be said of the aerial passes. They aren’t as accurate as the ground passes but if you get them right, they can be devastating. You can convert defense into attack with one good pass. The “through ball” has been added in this game which is basically what it is in real life. You can thread the needle with a good through ball and have your striker reach it leaving the defenders for dead. Crosses have improved a lot. It is pretty easy to get in a good cross from the flanks.

The “off the ball” technology works just as promised by EA. It’s easy to use and easy to get used to within a few games. It is vital that you take full advantage of this added feature as it can very useful especially while getting the ball forward on the flanks.

Another great feature is that you can change tactics during the game without having to pause and going into team management. This is fundamental during multiplayer match-ups especially.

Heading has improved a lot. Of course, in Fifa 2003, it was pretty much impossible to head the ball decently but here we have a nice heading system which works like it should. A good cross and a well timed header are lethal. There’s not much the opposition can do if the player gets a good header in. Headers are also useful in defense to clear the ball. Another thing worth mentioning is that sometimes players use their head to pass to ball too and don’t always chest the ball and play it with their feet, which is excellent.

Shooting the ball is better than before too. Again the main idea remains the same – more the power, lesser the accuracy, but scoring from a distance is pretty common – a little too common. In my very first game I managed to score 2 goals from 40 yards or more which wasn’t a good feeling. Although the goals looked good, you get the feeling that scoring from way out shouldn’t be this easy. You can add swerve to the ball and you can shoot both low and high. Players miss a lot of sitters if the direction and power aren’t used properly which is excellent. I tried chipping the keeper on a few occasions while being one on one but managed to score just once which was sheer luck rather than an actual chip.

Goalkeepers are responsive and pretty sharp at close range. But at the same time, it’s too easy to beat a keeper from a long range. The keeper seems sluggish all of a sudden when he can be pretty hard to beat at close range. EA need to work on this aspect. They let in soft goals way too often. It becomes a little repetitive and frustrating seeing the keeper being beaten from the same range when it reality, it seemed like he had the shot covered all along.

Feekicks are excellent in the game. It works on the principle of using the optimum power and adding curve to the ball. As long as you direct the shot to a part of the net that would seem logically tough for the keeper to reach and get your power to the correct degree, there is not much that can stop you from scoring. A well taken free kick is one of the more satisfying aspects of the game.

Corners have improved a lot too from earlier versions. You can choose from a few options that appear on the bottom corner of the screen which lets you choose the kind of corner you want to take. It can be an in-swinging cross to the far post, near post, middle or it can be driven straight into the box. You can control the player and make him get his head or foot to the cross but at the same time, the opposing defense mark you pretty well. This new way of taking corners is really nice and effective. It could use a little more fine tuning though one might feel after playing it a few times.

Penalties are normal. You select the power, direction and let fly and more often than not you will score. Too much power makes the ball hit the woodwork or sometimes even completely miss the target. The goalkeeper is alert and quick during penalties so you are not guaranteed a goal which is what it should be like.

Dribbling is excellent in the game. You can perform step overs, double step overs, backward dribbles etc. It feels really nice when you fool a defender by dribbling your way past him – mind you, its pretty hard to do.

Defenders are quick and accurate and don’t hesitate to make sliding tackles. It is hard to beat a defender one on one in Professional or World Class modes as you lose the ball in the blink of an eye.

A vast improvement can be seen in tackling too. It is fun to see a player muscled off the ball as he would in real life and it is important to time a challenge well. A well timed sliding tackle can be life saving but a poorly timed one can be disastrous.

Graphics:

Graphics are great as is the case with most EA games. The stadia, player models, the field, the animations etc all have a very professional feel to them. Most of the more well known players have life like faces and body structures. It is easy to recognize a Raul or Del Piero on the field.

The cinematics are brilliant. They add a whole new dimension to the game and the celebrations are great as well.

Patch makers will be licking their lips as the editable nature of the game seemingly unlimited possibilities as far as graphics are concerned.

Teams and tournaments:

There are a lot of clubs, leagues and national teams to choose from as you can image. It includes all of Europe’s top leagues and clubs from the lower divisions too. There are a few teams and leagues that have been left out for different reasons the most notable being – Romania, Holland, Chile, Yugoslavia, Partizan Belgrade and the whole Argentine League which will leave many fans disappointed. There are quite a few tournaments you can choose from including the European Cup and many other domestic cups. One major gripe is the lack of multiplayer support as far as tournaments are concerned. There is no multiplayer yet and I’m not sure that we will have it in the near future either.

The lack of direct IP and LAN Multiplayer support is almost unforgivable. It is hard to imagine why EA would leave out something this vital.

Replays are good but there is no way to save them which is a shocker! There is absolutely no reason why EA should leave out something like that. There is supposedly a patch EA are working on which will fix this issue along with few more niggles but for gamers with the Xbox or PS2, I’m afraid it is bad news.

Bottomline: A vast improvement over Fifa 2003 but has a fair bit of refining to go through to be the complete package. There is that incomplete feel to it at times but is still fun to play.

Music : 10/10
Graphics : 8/10
Gameplay : 6/10
Features : 5/10

Thank you for reading my review. For any questions or comments, email me at [email protected] .

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Thanks for the review yash!

Just a couple of things though.

How easy is it exactly to use the "Off the ball" system? I wrote about it earlier.

IMO it'll take a whole lof of getting used to, since you have to control one player at a time, making runs with the "off the ball" player, and preventing your passer from being tackled. I imagine it'd be a pleasure to use on the PS2... oh dear, I hope u're not talking about the PS2 version :scared:

There's no multiplayer capability!? :eek: Did you buy the game, or is it a pirated early copy?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Also, could u plz tell us about the career mode?

+ are the graphics + player models better than in the demo? (Camoranesi for example)

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
Im talking about the PC version of the game :). The OTB system needs double analog controller to be used properly on PC.

The left analog takes control of the player u intend passing the ball to.

There is no direct IP or LAN multiplayer but there is Multiplayer support over the EA gaming zone thing.

I have the actual version sent to me by EA. :) just got it few hours ago.

The Career mode gives you 5 years to take control of a team and do just about anything you would do as the president of a club. 5 years seems like a short time to be honest. You get prestige points after each win which influences players to transfer and clubs to agree upon transfers.

The graphics + models are exactly like the demo. Camo is black :D

The Creation Centre will be out for PC soon so all that can be fixed.

My friend Chau Le is working on the Creation Centre with EA and he tells me that this is gonna be BIG :)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Damn bastards...they're just stopping people from playing local games so people will have to buy the game to play multiplayer :fero::devil:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
sounds like fifa are actually trying to emulate WE...adding the through pass and all...

at any rate,it's hard to imagine EA producing a football game worth my time with the likes of WE7 around.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

for most teams yeah, they do have the official names. Even Brazil.

Is that the only reason why your getting fifa?! :rolleyes:
trust me, WE7 is waaaay waaaaay waaaaay better and if the names of a couple of unlicensed teams bother you, go in the edit option and change a few names.. it's only a difference of about 1 letter for every unlicensed player.....not a big deal!

Anyhow, It doesn't matter for me because i have the patched version with all the players in their correct teams, English menus, and correct English names.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll get both.

I was just curious.

Because I have most of the other EA sports titles, I'll be getting FIFA for the EA Sports Bio mode, that reads the bio of your other EA games on your memory card and unlocks special items.

OP
Hydde

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
  • Thread Starter #171
    Thanks a lot Ice Blue For the review!!! preety cool..

Now i have some questions... one in particular that is making me of buying the game or not........

-Its true that there is no volleys or overhead kicks in the game?? :dazed: I heard this in the soccergaming forums..... and i ended white like a mashmallow. If this is ture... ill start to cry. Ho this EA bastards let this acrobatics feature out?¿?¿ Please man tell me that im wrong!!.

-About th esuper shots from long distance... yeah sadly its true..and this makes the game a little repetitive.

-Well, overall, the game is funny..i played the demo and besides i used the keyboard (who really REALLY sucks for this game), i found it very cool....... not in the WE7 gameplay level... but something like it... and its cool.

I found that Nedved has a rocket in his feet :p

OP
    Hydde

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
  • Thread Starter #173
    ++ [ originally posted by IceBlu ] ++
    There are volleys :) i have volleyed a few successfully but theres no overhead kick :(

are you sure??? try harder please!!!! :frown:

I didnt meant volleys-- i have done volleys in the demo.. i mean scissor kicks in the air!!... you know... like the nedved goal against brescia or something like that!!.

Please!! go to training mode againa!! maybe you are usoing the wrong button!! In fifa 2003 to doa overhead kick... you had to use the manual pass button instead of the shooting button..

maybe in 2004 there is another button to use :frown:

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    lol no. like i told u on msn there is no overhead kick.

BUT u can perform a Scissor kick like Nedveds agasint brescia. But thats all down to luck. U cant make a player do it over and over.

it happens once in 100 tries...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
    -Its true that there is no volleys or overhead kicks in the game?? :dazed: I heard this in the soccergaming forums..... and i ended white like a mashmallow. If this is ture... ill start to cry. Ho this EA bastards let this acrobatics feature out?¿?¿ Please man tell me that im wrong!!.
    It's great that I read that there are volleys after this, otherwise I would have been :fero::fero::fero:

I can't wait to do volleys, they're my favourite type of shot in real life and i've always wanted to do proper volleys in a footie game.

As for overhead kicks, I don't think they're that necessary, since they happen once every 20 games in real life. They should at least put them in there though :groan:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Allright, guys.

I picked up my copy of FIFA for the PS2.

It's pretty good, a little better than last year. It seems more of the action takes place in Midfield, so you won't see any 11-9 games, which is good. Aerial passes, crosses, and headers are definitely easier this time around.

Free Kicks are a b!tch, Maybe because I haven't read the manual

The transfer screen confuses me a little bit, I sold Tacchinardi to Milan for 4.5 million by mistake. Oh, well, he wasn't in my starting 11 anyway.

The reason why I'm posting is I want to know if anyone here has a PS2 with the internet adaptor. I would like to play you online.

Keep in mind, I only have dial-up.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Thanx.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Pro Evolution Soccer 3 is miles ahead.

Where's the fun in just pressing the shoot button and the balls goes where it wants to? With PES3 you direct it and do everything.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    I am so disappointed with PES 3 its unreal. The last footy games I'd played were ISS2 and FIFA 2003 both on the gamecube. FIFA was shite, ISS2 was absolutely bloody awesome.

Both these new games IMO are pretty poor. FIFA looks stunning as always but plays..well it doesn't. PES 3 has graphics looking like they're from a time warp to the mid 80's and the game speed is so fast you don't know whats going on at all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)