Fernando Llorente (47 Viewers)

Mar 30, 2006
I am not worried about his preseason. After all he had hardly played in a year and he is a guy who needs a lot of games to build his confidence and fitness it seems. I remember that Bilbao fan guy saying the same thing and how it takes him a while to come back from injuries and stuff. So hopefully conte gives him the playing time he needs. I figure if he played borriello as much as he did why would he not play Lorente who is ten times the player.. Either way tevez and vucinic/Lorente we are going to get better and better as they develop an understanding.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
No doubt. But its not just great defenders that have made Italian defenses so revered, its also the managers and their tactics. Italian football has a certain culture among tacticians. You wouldn't see Cavani scoring just 20-30 goals in any other league IMO.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
No doubt. But its not just great defenders that have made Italian defenses so revered, its also the managers and their tactics. Italian football has a certain culture among tacticians. You wouldn't see Cavani scoring just 20-30 goals in any other league IMO.
Very good point too.

What the league lacks in top class defenders, it makes up for in top class tactical acumen from players and coaches. You just don't see the level of tactical football in any other league. It certainly makes Italian football interesting.

IMO the second best defensive unit in Serie A is Lazio's. I really like their structure in defence; tough, organised, uncompromising.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
This isn't the 90s. Modern Serie A defenses are so overrated in these forums. Napoli's defense was second best last year for Christ's sake.
easy there tiger, thats very irrelevant.

messi is supposed to be the second comming of jesus right ?
milan, has absolute shit for a defence compared to a few years ago right ?

SO why did barcelona got their ass kicked in san siro ?

Exactly. Whilst not having the excellent defenders from the 90ties, we still got insane tactical organisation and preparation. Thats what makes serie a such hard competition. It takes a few weeks untill the latest hotshots are found out.

The big issue, as we all saw, is making the play. then the defences are exposed. Napoli usually just hoofs it to cavani, and attacks with relatively little people and guess what : a 3-5-2.
Once they go ahead, they should sit back and kill it on the counter

- - - Updated - - -

Very good point too.

What the league lacks in top class defenders, it makes up for in top class tactical acumen from players and coaches. You just don't see the level of tactical football in any other league. It certainly makes Italian football interesting.

IMO the second best defensive unit in Serie A is Lazio's. I really like their structure in defence; tough, organised, uncompromising.
exactly, excellent points.

Juventus, is the only team capable of pressing high and making the play, while having an excellent defence. thanks to 3-5-2 and great talents.

The others also have good organisations, but cannot play as offensive without losing much of their solid defence

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
easy there tiger, thats very irrelevant.

messi is supposed to be the second comming of jesus right ?
milan, has absolute shit for a defence compared to a few years ago right ?

SO why did barcelona got their ass kicked in san siro ?

Exactly. Whilst not having the excellent defenders from the 90ties, we still got insane tactical organisation and preparation. Thats what makes serie a such hard competition. It takes a few weeks untill the latest hotshots are found out.
Yeah, I was at this game. Barca had zero chances, zero shots on goal. Milan got everything spot-on tactics-wise, knew how to neutralize everyone (especially Messi), took advantage of counter-attacking opportunities. Despite on paper Barca being a much better side than Milan, it just stresses how important tactics still are. In fact before the 4-0 in the return leg at Camp Nou, Messi had never scored in open play against an Italian team, doubt that was just a coincidence.

It's just a side note though, I don't think it's necessarily an indicator of how Llorente will do for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 47)