Federico Chiesa (124 Viewers)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
This is why you need a cyber time out, Imma hunt down your gf and tell her to limit your datapackage.

You seem to think having an attacking team is just about the CF. No true top CF thats italian currently (tho Immobile deserves respect, 4 years in a row of scoring alot), its biggiest weakness by far. But if besides Chiesa, we had Barella, Verratti, Zaniolo, Locatelli etc, and a coach like Gasperini, uff, that team would be flying with offensive attacking possession football.

Stop moving the goalposts with this incessive need for shitposting, take a cyber break, for real.
Fine.

Or how about a genuine request, think before you post? :eek:

200.gif
Look, Im a life-long Italophile. I am in a bad place right now, by saying fuck Italian players I mean fuck Italian football mentality, it has become toxic and archaic.

Obviously, an elite player can come from any nationality.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Look, Im a life-long Italophile. I am in a bad place right now, by saying fuck Italian players I mean fuck Italian football mentality, it has become toxic and archaic.

I got that 1000%, why I'm saying take a break, with the annual CL failure now, people are triggered even harder and harder for each time, and say the darnest knee jerk emotional shit, so take a chill pill and find other ways to get this out of your system (I recommend pounding your gf til she starts walking like one legged pirate lol).

Thats why I'm genuinely not discussed shit here in past days, I'm pissed off too, but I also know its basically only a handful here who are genuinely in the level headed mind to have a decent footie discussion. Rest are acting like they belong in Jerry Springer or Ricki Lake. Alot of "what have you done for me lately" finger pointing shithousery. After that emotional storm settles, then we can go back to bussiness as usual.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I got that 1000%, why I'm saying take a break, with the annual CL failure now, people are triggered even harder and harder for each time, and say the darnest knee jerk emotional shit, so take a chill pill and find other ways to get this out of your system (I recommend pounding your gf til she starts walking like one legged pirate lol).

Thats why I'm genuinely not discussed shit here in past days, I'm pissed off too, but I also know its basically only a handful here who are genuinely in the level headed mind to have a decent footie discussion. Rest are acting like they belong in Jerry Springer or Ricki Lake. Alot of "what have you done for me lately" finger pointing shithousery. After that emotional storm settles, then we can go back to bussiness as usual.
Would love to see @Bianconero81 on Jerry Springer with all the Dybala bashers. :lol2:

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Elvin is right. There hasn't been an elite Italian attacker since DP or Totti.

Cassano had the talent but he had a weak mentality. Same with Balotelli.

Chiesa may get there with hard work and consistency but I wouldn't call him elite just yet.

Guys like Insigne, Berardi etc definitely do not belong in the elite list of attackers.

Having said that, Italy are starting to produce much better talents than compared to a few years ago. Chiesa and Barella is an excellent start. Two established international quality players playing for top teams. Maybe the likes of Locatelli can eventually get there too.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Chiesa may get there with hard work and consistency but I wouldn't call him elite just yet.

Guys like Insigne, Berardi etc definitely do not belong in the elite list of attackers.

Having said that, Italy are starting to produce much better talents than compared to a few years ago. Chiesa and Barella is an excellent start. Two established international quality players playing for top teams. Maybe the likes of Locatelli can eventually get there too.
Zaniolo was also well on his way there without the crazy unlucky ACL injuries.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
This team needs more Italian players right now if anything.
Normally I would say that nationality doesn't matter at all, but as years pass by I am starting to form an opinion that a top team needs a balance between domestic and foreign players. Perhaps I can be proven wrong, but I am under impression that all the great teams of the past decades had that balance.
On the one hand, it's almost impossible to form a great team with 8 or more of the players in the starting XI belonging to the same nation. No country nowadays, not even France, produces that much talent. On the other hand, I've learned that the domestic players are an important backbone and vital for the atmosphere in the team.

I can't make a deeper analysis, so I'll take only Juve. Once again, I say that this might be a coincidence, but long time experience tells me such balance is important.
So, Juve's starting XI (or those 11 who played most minutes) from 2005/06 (when we last won the scudetto before calciopoli), then Juve's squads from 2007/08 until 2010/11, and at the end the Juve of the last decade:

Juve 2005/06 (scudetto): 5 Italians - 6 foreigners
-----
Juve 2007/08 (3rd place): 8 Italians - 3 foreigners
Juve 2008/09 (2nd place): 7 Italians - 4 foreigners
Juve 2009/10 (7th place): 8 Italians - 3 foreigners
Juve 2010/11 (7th place): 9 Italians - 2 foreigners
-----
Juve 2011/12 (scudetto): 7 Italians - 4 foreigners
Juve 2012/13 (scudetto): 7 Italians - 4 foreigners
Juve 2013/14 (scudetto): 6 Italians - 5 foreigners
Juve 2014/15 (scudetto and CL final): 4 Italians - 7 foreigners
Juve 2015/16 (scudetto): 5 Italians - 6 foreigners
Juve 2016/17 (scudetto and CL final): 4 Italians - 7 foreigners
Juve 2017/18 (scudetto): 3 Italians - 8 foreigners
Juve 2018/19 (scudetto): 2 Italians - 9 foreigners
Juve 2019/20 (scudetto): 1 Italian - 10 foreigners
-----
Juve 2020/21 (3rd place): 2 Italians - 9 foreigners

Of course, we were winning the scudetto even with 1 or 2 Italians in the starting line-up. But the best Juve (05/06; 13/14 when we won 102 points and 14/15 and 16/17) were well-balanced teams with 4, 5 or at most 6 Italians, and 5, 6 or 7 foreigners in the starting line-up. Also, the worst Juves of the last 15 years (when we were ending up 7th) were dominantly Italian. Our decline in the last 3 or 4 years is obvious, but it's also obvious that exactly in those years we broke the balance and we have started creating a foreign Juve.
In the end, it's still about quality. You can have 5 Italians+6 foreigners and be worse than a squad of 11 Italians or 11 foreigners. But quality+"nationality" balance seems to be the way to go for Juventus in the last decade and a half.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

Yep. I don't know why wingers are being mentioned but ever since those two left (you can mention even Toni I suppose) Italy had no strikers.

It was obvious when Italy had no talent, those generations were horrible and it was painful to watch Italian NT. I remember I said back then how we need to buy foreigners simply because Italians aren't good enough. I agree that Chiesa and Barella are an excellent start. I would say that my biggest hope was Zaniolo because what he showed was insane but right now I don't know what to expect after those horrible injuries, it will be a huge shame if such huge talent was lost due to injuries.

Then there's Locatelli. Who else is there? I don't see plenty of talents coming although it's true we're seeing better players compared to previous years.

Nationality makes no sense if you're not good enough. Since we're aiming for Scudetti and CL title we should only aim for the best talent available and chasing Italians per se makes no sense if they are not the best possible option, at least for our case. Shortly, well, if we get get the best Italians available (sadly we already lost some) then we should sign players outside of Italy. We didn't used to win because we had plenty of Italian players but because those generations were incredible and produces top quality players like Barzagli, Chiellini, Buffon, Camoranesi, Cannavaro, Zambrotta and tens of others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 106)