Fabio Quagliarella (2 Viewers)

Would you keep Quagliarella?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Cool goal, I really didn't agree with him getting substituted off. I think Quag is the best finisher we currently have, although I have seen very little of Llorente, so I might be wrong here. His post match interview:

“It was a disappointment, as we dropped two points. We pushed hard and had the chances to win, but it seemed like last season at Nordsjaelland,” Quagliarella told Sky Sport Italia.

“We should’ve scored and won the game, but we know that we’re starting with a bit of an uphill struggle.

“They started very strong and the Coach had warned us about that. We didn’t hold up to their rhythm and should’ve done. Apart from that early goal from a set play, Gigi Buffon had nothing to do.”

Not a word about his goal? I thought he's self centered ego-maniac, who doesn't care about the team..

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Scoring against Copenhagen :tuttosport:
So if he doesnt score, he sucks, how can he play a CL game, sell him. And if he scores, oh big deal, it's only Copenhagen.

:lol:

baggio, do you feel obligated to answer every post on this thread?
You know, when it's a player who gets unnecessary criticism. Actually, not criticism, but hate, for absolutely no fault of his, on a night the whole team sucked, I'd stand up against that. Not just this thread. Most threads. Maybe I do it more frequently here, but that's coz this is one player who gets hate that isn't due. It's retarded almost.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
You know, when it's a player who gets unnecessary criticism. Actually, not criticism, but hate, for absolutely no fault of his, on a night the whole team sucked, I'd stand up against that. Not just this thread. Most threads. Maybe I do it more frequently here, but that's coz this is one player who gets hate that isn't due. It's retarded almost.
I'd say it's retarded. I'd say it's almost as retarded as loving Zuniga.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Nice take on the goal, one incorrectly called offside, one nice header off the post.

Other than that, not a very good night for Qtube. Frustrating. He doesn't fit with Carlitos, there was very little understanding there at all.

I appreciate him saving us a point here, but we should still be looking for more quality up front; his characteristics don't really suit our attack.
His header to open up Vidal infront of goal? Point is, his characteristics blended just fine when the team was fluid in its movements. His characteristics failed when we had no flow. Most strikers aren't suited to our attack in that scenario. It's wrong to question his understanding with Tevez, after one proper game. Coz the last time they linked up (against inter) they seemed fairly compatible.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
His header to open up Vidal infront of goal? Point is, his characteristics blended just fine when the team was fluid in its movements. His characteristics failed when we had no flow. Most strikers aren't suited to our attack in that scenario. It's wrong to question his understanding with Tevez, after one proper game. Coz the last time they linked up (against inter) they seemed fairly compatible.
I don't remember the header to Vidal you're talking about, bud... :D

As for the rest....no. I disagree. His characteristics are not suited to a match where the other team is sitting in the middle, clogging things up. They're daring us to try and push through the middle, because they know our wingbacks aren't world beaters, and we were playing without much of a target in the box. Quagliarella is a large part of why we had no flow up front; his interchanges in close space were poor, he was often static (particularly in the 1st). He can't dribble anybody, or create much space for himself (although he needs very little to get off a shot). He's generally not a great decision maker, and he often kills the flow of our offence.

Also, it's absolutely not wrong for me to question his understanding with Tevez, because it's clearly not very good. They may be able to eventually build some decent chemistry, but that takes time -- it clearly isn't there right now.

For me, if we're going to try to keep Tevez pushed up towards the goal, I'd rather have his partner be somebody with more technique, a better dribbler, a better passer. If we're going to have Tevez play SS, I'd rather his partner be more of a legitimate target, who can hold up the ball, bring others into the play, AND still bury.

I know you love him, Baggio, I don't dislike the guy myself. I know he's scored some important goals, including today. We still need to upgrade.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I thank him for the goal but he was terrible tonight, one of the worst on the pitch
That's funny, coz he got one of the higher team ratings.

I don't remember the header to Vidal you're talking about, bud... :D

As for the rest....no. I disagree. His characteristics are not suited to a match where the other team is sitting in the middle, clogging things up. They're daring us to try and push through the middle, because they know our wingbacks aren't world beaters, and we were playing without much of a target in the box. Quagliarella is a large part of why we had no flow up front; his interchanges in close space were poor, he was often static (particularly in the 1st). He can't dribble anybody, or create much space for himself (although he needs very little to get off a shot). He's generally not a great decision maker, and he often kills the flow of our offence.

Also, it's absolutely not wrong for me to question his understanding with Tevez, because it's clearly not very good. They may be able to eventually build some decent chemistry, but that takes time -- it clearly isn't there right now.

For me, if we're going to try to keep Tevez pushed up towards the goal, I'd rather have his partner be somebody with more technique, a better dribbler, a better passer. If we're going to have Tevez play SS, I'd rather his partner be more of a legitimate target, who can hold up the ball, bring others into the play, AND still bury.

I know you love him, Baggio, I don't dislike the guy myself. I know he's scored some important goals, including today. We still need to upgrade.
You probably missed the header, coz it wasn't a figment of my imagination. ;) A lot of what you are questioning him for tonight, didn't come into play as far as I could see. For the simple reason that we didn't play to feet. Playing long balls the way we did, with an inexistent midfield, you are not going to get the best out of this type of player. The long ball game in itself only works with a targetman, which Quag is not (for no fault of his), and is also a more outdated style of play, which is why you don't see as many quality targetmen these days. The player in question has a few things going for him, like his instinct and eye for goal, while lacking pace and like you said, having the ability to create space for himself. But is this where our attacks stopped flowing tonight? For me, we didn't have an engine in midfield. Vidal had his worst showing in a couple of years, and that's saying a lot. Pirlo struggled to get into the game. Pogba was lost. That's where our flow was killed tonight in the first half. Everyone woke up in the second, and at least to me, I thought that included Quag too, who was one of the better players on the pitch in that duration.

Also, Tevez, by his own tenacious nature, is always going to enjoy a freer role upfront because he drops deep to pick up the ball and run at defenses. It's an integral part of his game, in which case I see Quag being the one pushing up closer to goal, getting shots off in limited spaces. They are a hardworking pair, and again, as far as their chemistry goes. I'm not asking that you give them a couple of seasons, but it would be interesting to see them get 4-5 games together. In many ways, this pairing is similar to what we had with Quag-Dp back in the day, and that was one of the best pairs we've had since Marrotta got here. That said, Tevez-Llorente has the potential to be even better, but it depends on how we build our play.

In all honesty, I don't like the 352, and even though it doesn't suit Quag, I think it's in the best interest of the team to switch to a 4231 or 433 with some legit wingers.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
The Italians seemed to think he was the saviour. As did the English dudes, I was following the game on. But yea, I guess so.
May I just ask you this?

Is what we saw tonight what you regard as a good Quag performance? If so, you and I may never find a common ground when it comes to this player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)