Euro2004: Germany - Netherlands (more than a game) (1 Viewer)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
I wanted Holland to win... but Im ok with this result because I put 1-1 on my prediction table thing

Germany was better than I expected

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
They just showed Capello on screen and I surprised myself when I was actually happy to see him. I actually thought "my man" :confused:

Just a thought
I saw him too! Hopefully he'll be there getting us some fresh talents

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
After 0-1 I said it would be 1-1 and it came true. Not overly impressed with Holland's game but Ruud did really well to score from that cross.

Oh and horrible marking by Holland, what is that about?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Not too impressive a match, but I was stoked when Ruud scored. He was crap the rest of the match, but u gotta admit that no other player would've scored from that cross. Schweinsteiger hasn't failed to impress me each time I've seen him :cool:, though I think he might be disciplined by his coaches for all those un-German stepovers :D

OP
kurvengeflüster
Jan 24, 2004
  • Thread Starter #136
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Oh and horrible marking by Holland, what is that about?
    Germans were too fast for the Dutch marking :p ;)

++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
    a draw?... what a dissapointment... after all the hype, i wont expect it wll be a draw...
    hey man, did you watch the game - that was soccer at its best (at least from that heart attack feeling)!!! :thumb:
    without exaggerating I want to underline the good performance by Germany. They fighted really well and never gave up!!! (Imagine Italian players would combine this attitude with their skills :eek: ) Both goals were bad luck for the punished team but after all it was a just tie which I can live with. I really hoped for a 1:0 win but that Inzaghi-style goal of Van Nistelrooy was reward for high pressuring at the end by Holland! So, it is ok, isn't it Erik? :D

Another little thing I liked at this eve were the two flags needled on Dutch jerseys - very nice symbol!!!

Thank you Holland and Germany for an entertaining soccer night!! :thumb:
    No, it's time to cheer for the Italian guys - I have the feeling that they need it!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!

Thread closed! :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    We sucked but a draw is a first result based on what both teams showed on the pitch. Hats off for Germany - I knew they could do it. They always perform well on tournaments.

We won't make it to the next round though - there's no way we can beat the Czechs and the team just doesn't perform. They haven't performed well since France98. No chance for us. None whatsoever. :(

++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++ I really hoped for a 1:0 win but that Inzaghi-style goal of Van Nistelrooy was reward for high pressuring at the end by Holland! So, it is ok, isn't it Erik? :D
    Yes its quite a fair result! Van Nistelrooy's goal wasn't an Inzaghi goal though; Inzaghi would have gone for a penalty kick when that German defender wrestled him to the ground like that ;)

++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++
    Another little thing I liked at this eve were the two flags needled on Dutch jerseys - very nice symbol!!!
    Yeah that ruled! :cool:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Schweinsteiger hasn't failed to impress me each time I've seen him :cool:, though I think he might be disciplined by his coaches for all those un-German stepovers :D

He needs to release the ball quicker too. On more than a few occassions he held the play up too long...but a really good talent...The Germans have a real find there

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    A totally unbiased report from the BBC:-

Germany 1-1 Holland

Ruud van Nistelrooy rescued a point for Holland with an 81st-minute equaliser against their arch-rivals.
    Germany had led through a Torsten Frings free-kick from the left which looped over Dutch keeper Edwin van der Sar and flew in off the back post.

Van Nistelrooy brilliantly turned in Andy van der Meyde's cross at the near post to level, and Philip Cocu's header almost snatched a late victory.

Dutch coach Dick Advocaat had replaced the injured Michael Reiziger with Johnny Heitinga at right-back, and chose Boudewijn Zenden instead of Arjen Robben on the left of midfield.

There were no surprises in the German line-up, with their captain, goalkeeper Oliver Kahn celebrating his 35th birthday with his 70th cap.

The Dutch made a bright start in front of their legions of fans, creating the first opening inside two minutes when van Nistelrooy just failed to latch on to Cocu's chip over the defence.

But the Germans quickly stifled Holland's attacking threat, and begain to threaten themselves.

Their first meaningful shot on goal came on 19 minutes when Christian Worns met a cross from the left, but his scuffed effort was easily collected by van der Sar.

Van der Sar was soon in action again, tipping Kevin Kuranyi's 25-yard shot over the bar, and from the resulting corner Worns sent a downward header bouncing high and wide.

A teasing Frings free-kick almost found Worns on the edge of the six-yard box - but Germany were not to be denied.

Cocu fouled Philip Lahm on the right and Frings stepped up to deliver a curling free-kick that looped over van der Sar and a crowd of players - and dropped in off the back post.

Van Nistelrooy was a virtual spectator by this stage, but despite this Holland remained dangerous.

Just before half-time Rafael van der Vaart seized upon a loose ball on the edge of the area and sent a low shot fizzing just wide of Kahn's left-hand post.

Advocaat brought on Marc Overmars and Wesley Sneijder at half-time to try and rejuvenate his ailing side, but it was Germany who were the first to threaten.

On 54 minutes Kurani was only inches away from meeting Bernd Schneider's teasing cross with the Holland defence again exposed. At the other end the Dutch tried their luck with long range shots from Sneijder and Giovanni van Bronckhorst but only showed real signs of improvement after the hour mark.

A fierce Overmars effort on 74 minutes was the reward for some promising approach play - but Kahn dived acrobatically to palm the shot away.

That encouraged the Dutch however, and they grabbed an equaliser with 10 minutes left when van der Meyde won possession and swung in a low cross which van Nistelrooy met at the near post to steer a first-time shot past Kahn.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    Ruud hails 'deserved' draw

Holland goalscorer Ruud van Nistelrooy insisted his team fully deserved their 1-1 draw with Germany in their opening Group D game.
    "We tried to control the game and had a lot of possession, although not many chances. I think we completely deserved it," he told BBC Sport.

"You know when you play Germany it's going to be tough. It's going to be like this, but we kept fighting.

"We finished this game on a high. Defeat would have been disastrous."

Coach Dick Advocaat said both teams did not play very well so a draw was a fair result.

We were the better side - we can call ourselves a little bit unlucky

Dietmar Hamann
    Germany reaction

"The (German) goal was not a mistake by the keeper but the whole defence," he said.

"With our goal, Van Nistelrooy demonstrated that he could score out of nothing.

"In the first 20 minutes we played too much safety-first. During half-time I told tham to play sharper, more up front and seize their opportunities.

"We have to analyse carefully how we are going to proceed."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)