Euro 2004: Italy - Sweden (Group C) (5 Viewers)

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
Jan 11, 2003
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
italy'S best players..

Cassano
Panucci
Pirlo
Nesta
Buffon

Pirlo and Nesta???

With all due respect to you and the players, but if you ask me they certainly underperformed!

Cassano, Zambo, Panucci, DP and Buffon were the best IMO

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
italy'S best players..

Cassano
Panucci
Pirlo
Nesta
Buffon

come on!!
where is ZAMBROTTA??? :wallbang:

(actually del piero was good today too :) )-thanx god!

but,i think he was TOO slow in the minutes before he left the pitch!

tooooooooo slow!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Lilianna ] ++

though vieri had lots of chances to score... :wallbang:
Yeah. And even if he had 20 more, it looked like he wouldn't score. The person that should have been subbed was Vieri. But, ya know Trap is obsessed with Vieri and Totti, so he will stick with them. :groan:

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Always the same thing for Italy huh? Never able to go for the juglar and get that second goal. They were inspired in the first half, but unable to finish. They had a few florishes in the second but around the 70th, it was obvious they weren't going to add another. The defense got disorganized for a moment and Ibhamrovic scored a beauty. Italy really should have had 3 points though, I don't know why Trap took his foot off the gas.

I thought Zambrotta and Pannucci played great today, as did Cassano and I'm not sure why they took him off so early. I would have taken off Gattuso, he really is only a thug and was lucky not to get sent off. I think Italy will be better off without him in the next match, considering they need to score some goals. Ale played pretty well, Vieri couldn't hit the broad side of a barn however. I would look elsewhere next match although I can't say I'm that much more confident in Di Viaio, maybe Corradi would be a good option. I didn't like the decision to start Perrotta and Gattuso but this one came down to finishing. If Vieri or Del Piero was able to knock in one of the many chances they had, Italy would have won.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Sarah ] ++

yeah, with his head and all aiming to the heavens :wallbang:
I think divaio could have done much more than him today. IM talking about MUCH more..

but well... who could predict that he would miss all those chances.

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++

I think divaio could have done much more than him today. IM talking about MUCH more..

but well... who could predict that he would miss all those chances.
DV at least may loose 100 chances to score,but he scores on the 101 and with an amazing goal!

here,i also gotta agree with Andy....that even if vieri had 20 chances more nothing would have happened!

trap shoulnd't take off cassano.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
Always the same thing for Italy huh? Never able to go for the juglar and get that second goal. They were inspired in the first half, but unable to finish. They had a few florishes in the second but around the 70th, it was obvious they weren't going to add another. The defense got disorganized for a moment and Ibhamrovic scored a beauty. Italy really should have had 3 points though, I don't know why Trap took his foot off the gas.

I thought Zambrotta and Pannucci played great today, as did Cassano and I'm not sure why they took him off so early. I would have taken off Gattuso, he really is only a thug and was lucky not to get sent off. I think Italy will be better off without him in the next match, considering they need to score some goals. Ale played pretty well, Vieri couldn't hit the broad side of a barn however. I would look elsewhere next match although I can't say I'm that much more confident in Di Viaio, maybe Corradi would be a good option. I didn't like the decision to start Perrotta and Gattuso but this one came down to finishing. If Vieri or Del Piero was able to knock in one of the many chances they had, Italy would have won.
IMO gattuso was really wanting to do his job there...and in my view he tackled and gained a good number of balls..... but sadly he abuse with th ephysycla game which s his speciality, and he turns to be a double edged blade.
But i would use him instead of the zanetti-perrota combo anyday.... it hink that it was the big difference in this game...as our def mid was lost in the last one.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
zambrotta was like his usual self but somehow lack clinical end result like panucci did...

nesta was great today... stop almost ever ball coming his way... and Pirlo did very very good in the deep playmaking role... dictating plays, holding up ball....

and i dun think Dp was all great.... better on his standards....but still everage for this level........certainly cannot be put the same as cassano .. he only did some great moves on islolated cases but still lack the consistent sharpness like cassano did... lucky there are pirlo to take over the playmaking role from him...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Sarah ] ++

yeah, with his head and all aiming to the heavens :wallbang:
I would have been able to make a better effort than he did for some of those chances. Three of them were straight forward opportunities.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++

IMO gattuso was really wanting to do his job there...and in my view he tackled and gained a good number of balls..... but sadly he abuse with th ephysycla game which s his speciality, and he turns to be a double edged blade.
But i would use him instead of the zanetti-perrota combo anyday.... it hink that it was the big difference in this game...as our def mid was lost in the last one.
I guess he didn't play all that poorly, I just think him and Perotta leave something to be desiered. The Italian midfield has no width with Cassano, Pirlo, Perotta and Gattuso. Of course Zambrotta and Pannuci did very well on the wings but that leaves the back somewhat suspect. Maybe that is why trap felt the need for two defensive midfielders. Still I would have started Firoe in favor of either Perotta or Gattuso.

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
Italia (4-3-1-2): Buffon 6.5, Panucci 7, Cannavaro 6, Nesta 6.5, Zambrotta 6, 8 Gattuso 7 (31' st Favalli sv), Pirlo 6, Perrotta 6, Cassano 7.5 (25' st Fiore sv), Vieri 6, Del Piero 6.5 (37' st Camoranesi sv) (12 Toldo, 15 Oddo, 6 Ferrari, 23 Materazzi, 16 Camoranesi, Zanetti, 11 Corradi, 17 Di Vaio, 22 Peruzzi). All. Trapattoni 6.5.

Svezia (4-4-2): Isaksson 7, Nilsson 5.5, Mellberg 5.5, Jakobsson 5.5, Edman 5 (32' st Allback sv), Wilhelmsson 5.5 (21' st Jonson sv), Linderoth 6, Svensson 5.5 (9' st Kallstrom sv), Ljungberg 6, Larsson 6, Ibrahimovic 7. (12 Hedman, 23 Kihlstedt, 4 Mjallby, 13 Hansson, 14 Ostlund, 17 Andersson, 19 Farnerud, 20 Allback, 22 Wahlstedt). All. Soederberg_e Lagerbaeck.

from Rai.

I would have given DP an additional 0.5 for that lob effort :D

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
Jan 11, 2003
zambrotta was like his usual self but somehow lack clinical end result like panucci did...

nesta was great today... stop almost ever ball coming his way... and Pirlo did very very good in the deep playmaking role... dictating plays, holding up ball....

and i dun think Dp aws all great.. certainly cannot be put the same as cassano did... he only did some great moves on islolated cases but still lack the consistent sharpness like cassano did... lucky there are pirlo to take over the playmaking role from him...
Zambo were here, there and everywere. He was amazing (as always) with his combinations to DP and Cassano.

Nesta was very shaky, and made a couple of errors, his passing upfield was also poor.

Pirlo on the other hand started good, but faded away, he had many ball losses in the midfield, and his long passes was useless today. When rino got subbed, Pirlo collapsed.

DP was one of the best men today. He was good to speed the game up and down on the right occasions. He had good passes and good runs. He was both defending and attacking and also constantly switching places with Cassano. He didnt loose the ball that much today, and had great vision for the game. Today i saw DP as a captain!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++

Bah. Nah, Gattuso had a great game. He broke down everything in midfield, and he even impressed me a little with his passes. Also, he always gives a 110%, something that no other player in midfield does. Gattuso is a MUST in midfield. He is twice as better as Zanetti.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)