Euro 2004: Italy - Sweden (Group C) (46 Viewers)

venom

Oct 22, 2003
I'd want to see Corradi start next match, he at least plays whole-heartedly instead of Bobo (whose big fan I am). Nesta (along with Panucci) was lost against Zlatan during the first 20 minutes and hopefully those were his bad moments of this tournament. And ffs Trap, start with Oddo against Bulgaria, he's not that bad Italy couldn't win if he'd start?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I'm wandering. If Italy get to the quater final will Totti get his place back. Yeah i know how awesome he is and everything but the formation Trap used tonight looked pure class in the first half, Italy were just awesome.

Is Del Piero gonna be wearing the captains armband against Bulgaria? yeah...

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I woukld be cool to play this formation with dp and someone else upfront... totti backing them...and the gatusso-pirlo-perrota combo in the recovery.

It would has been maybe better than today, but hail to DP anyways :thumb:

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Impressive: Del Piero, Pirlo

Spot on: Zambrotta, (put in midfield for fvcks sake) Gattuso, Cassano

ZERO: Trap and his substitutions....the ball winner Gattuso breaking everything play down in the midfield GONE...Del Piero with the firepower and touch of class: GONE. Cassano creating havoc for the D..GONE. Mid-field opened up and Sweden passing the ball over 15 feet without an obstacle. Different YEAR same story: Catenaccio at its best.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
If Italy make it to the Semifinals, Totti should NOT get his place back. Italy plays much better without him. Whenever Totti has the ball, it seems like he always tries to make the difficult pass or play. In the Denmark match, Totti looked like he was only looking for Vieri up front, instead of looking to the wings or to another player around the box. Totti just hurts the team. Cassano plays much better than Totti, and since tonight I say Alex looks better than Totti as well. I think Totti looks much better in the stands with his girlfriend. At least he doesn't make Italy look bad there.

River

Jun 15, 2004
This is how it goes:

"If Italy win their final encounter and either of the two Scandinavians emerges with a victory, then the Azzurri qualify in second place.

If Denmark and Sweden draw and Italy beat Bulgaria, all three teams will be level on five points. At this stage goal difference in their encounters with each other comes into play, so as all their meetings resulted in draws it will go to goals scored.

There is the possibility that with a high-scoring draw – for example 2-2 and above – both Denmark and Sweden can qualify at Italy's expense.

This system looks only at goals scored between the teams in question, therefore ignoring however many Italy can net against Bulgaria. "

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
Impressive: Del Piero, Pirlo

Spot on: Zambrotta, (put in midfield for fvcks sake) Gattuso, Cassano

ZERO: Trap and his substitutions....the ball winner Gattuso breaking everything play down in the midfield GONE...Del Piero with the firepower and touch of class: GONE. Cassano creating havoc for the D..GONE. Mid-field opened up and Sweden passing the ball over 15 feet without an obstacle. Different YEAR same story: Catenaccio at its best.
Didnt Gattuso go off with an injury tho?

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
Vieri is showing his age or something. his positioning is spot on but he can't put it in...typical of a striker who runs out of steam or bite.
Had Trap not had this fvckin Catenaccio embedded in his head he should of put in DiVaio or Corradi..the ball being in the middle they would have caused problems to the Swede defenders moving around and they can also play the ball outside the box...better than Vieri anyways.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Oh right. I can never hear the commentary right in the bar :D

Trap also claimed he took DP and Cassano off because they were exhausted though :D

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #295
    Trap said that Cassano and Del Piero were exhausted and that's why they were subbed, and that's understandable, but why bring on Camo? Fiore for Casso is bearable because we reverted to 4-4-2, but if you're going to take off DP why not bring on Di Vaio?

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #298
    ++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++
    Vieri is showing his age or something. his positioning is spot on but he can't put it in...typical of a striker who runs out of steam or bite.
    Had Trap not had this fvckin Catenaccio embedded in his head he should of put in DiVaio or Corradi..the ball being in the middle they would have caused problems to the Swede defenders moving around and they can also play the ball outside the box...better than Vieri anyways.
    Agreed. Of Italy's three forward players Vieri was the most disappointing, but instead Trap pulls out the excellent Cassano and inspired Del Piero. Didn't DV just score four goals in practise? Why not give him a run?

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #300
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
    Its a pretty normal decision to decide to tighten things up a bit on 70minutes.
    Tightening things up is going from a 4-3-1-2 to a 4-4-2 like Trap did, but he took it a step too far by changing to 4-5-1 :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)