[ENG] Premiership 2011/2012 (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedvěd

well lets be honest here Wigan have been flirting with relegation for quite a few years now and its not like Wigan have really progressed under his guidance, he lacks a ruthless edge to be coaching a team of liverpool's stature its only the last month or two Wigan decided that their season started and went on an impressive streak. But he is by no means liverpool's answer
It's hard to progress when you have a poor squad and limited money to improve the team.
You could argue that Wigan had the poorest squad in the whole league, yet the finished above superior teams like Villa, QPR, Bolton and Blackburn, all those teams have better players than Wigan.
Whether the guy is ready enough for a team like Liverpool or not, I don't know. But I know that he's an amazing manager from what we've seen, who can motivate his players and cram the goods out of them, and has shown his flexibility tactically.
Personally I believe he needs to join a team with a decent enough money and bigger stature, a team like Aston Villa, Sunderland or Fulham. Somewhere we can see if he knows how to spend his money or not, and how can he cope with the pressure and expectations.
But let's be honest here, ad I'm saying this because I'm a United fan, are Liverpool are any different from Sunderland or Fulham? Yes, we know that they're possibly the greatest English team ever, but are they, in the current state a big team? For me, Liverpool are just another midtable side, and the only difference between managing Liverpool and Sunderland or Fulham is the inflated expectation and hype from the fans and the media.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Nedvěd;3674338 said:
It's hard to progress when you have a poor squad and limited money to improve the team.
You could argue that Wigan had the poorest squad in the whole league, yet the finished above superior teams like Villa, QPR, Bolton and Blackburn, all those teams have better players than Wigan.
Whether the guy is ready enough for a team like Liverpool or not, I don't know. But I know that he's an amazing manager from what we've seen, who can motivate his players and cram the goods out of them, and has shown his flexibility tactically.
Personally I believe he needs to join a team with a decent enough money and bigger stature, a team like Aston Villa, Sunderland or Fulham. Somewhere we can see if he knows how to spend his money or not, and how can he cope with the pressure and expectations.
But let's be honest here, ad I'm saying this because I'm a United fan, are Liverpool are any different from Sunderland or Fulham? Yes, we know that they're possibly the greatest English team ever, but are they, in the current state a big team? For me, Liverpool are just another midtable side, and the only difference between managing Liverpool and Sunderland or Fulham is the inflated expectation and hype from the fans and the media.
well he already rejected aston villa last season, why exactly i don't really know, makes me wonder if he has any real ambitions. if martinez were to join liverpool he will be given about 30 mill to spend which in comparison to their rivals (for CL spot) is a very small budget, as you would expect chelsea, man utd, city, and even arsenal will spend heavily this summer to consolidate their position.

i don't really think liverpool are a mid table side, they still have some talented individuals but when you have someone like comoli handling your transfers, well you know what secco did with Juve, over pays for players who are not suitable.

i even heard a story about the reason why liverpool bought stewart downing, something about how the directors were so impressed with his trickshot video (which was fake but they didn't know) that they signed him at all costs, only to finish up with 0 goals and assists this season. (fuck knows how he made it into the england euro 2012 team) :lol:

Nedvěd

well he already rejected aston villa last season, why exactly i don't really know, makes me wonder if he has any real ambitions. if martinez were to join liverpool he will be given about 30 mill to spend which in comparison to their rivals (for CL spot) is a very small budget, as you would expect chelsea, man utd, city, and even arsenal will spend heavily this summer to consolidate their position.

i don't really think liverpool are a mid table side, they still have some talented individuals but when you have someone like comoli handling your transfers, well you know what secco did with Juve, over pays for players who are not suitable.

i even heard a story about the reason why liverpool bought stewart downing, something about how the directors were so impressed with his trickshot video (which was fake but they didn't know) that they signed him at all costs, only to finish up with 0 goals and assists this season. ($#@! knows how he made it into the england euro 2012 team) :lol:
I believe it's more about loyalty than ambition, but in such cases you never know. Loyalty and ambition in football can be easily mixed up. Was Le Tissier too loyal to Southampton, or did he just lack the ambition and desire to play at a bigger team? Very hard to tell, which I think it's similar to Martinez's case.
Martinez played 6 seasons with Wigan, and Whelan said that he will be very committed towards Roberto, and that he won't get sacked in his three years at the club even if Wigan get relegated.
So it's understodable if he decided to stay at Wigan out of loyalty

Talent is not enough to justify the stature of the club, many small teams had big talents, Bolton for a prime example. Liverpool have been in a horrific phase since Rafa's last season at the club. They spent a lot of money for no avail. You mention Comolli but you forget the good work that he's done. He was the man behind Toure, Eboue, Clichy, Bale, Kaboul, Modric, Ekotto and Berbatov, and those are hell of signings.
I honestly believe he was a scapegoat, with all the shite he brought, he got Enrique Bellamy and Suarez, who are quality . Liverpool have been known to make comical signings since the start of the Premier league, and they have a huge percentage of flops in every market. Just look at Konchesky and Poulsen, who were signed just before Comolli came in.
So I think you were being unfair to Comolli.

And yeah I lol'd so hard on that.

The comments :lol:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
although this may sound a little obsurd, but perhaps even Bielsa ought to be a target for liverpool, someone of vast experience and again has worked within constraints on the budget front
He doesn't speak English, so that could be a bit of a problem. But if the DOF or his Assistant were Spanish, it could work out.

Klovn

#MakeTuzGreatAgain
Jul 28, 2011
Exactly, you just answered yourself. They can only get Basque players, thats why they wont sell their stars. Don't you think players like Marcos, Llorente, Herrera, Muinain. Would be sold a long time ago? especially Llorente, Athletic Club keeps their players, They only gonna sell if a very high offer turns up.

And without Europe next year and hopefully Biesla staying. Then i'm pretty sure they will make it top 3 in PD. And semi final in Coppa Del Rey.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Anyone who leaves Atletic will go for a lot. With the exception of Susaeta I think he has 1 year left on his contract. Still he will got for more than the average player of his caliber with 1 year to go.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
That will be quite interesting. Martinez has proven that he can work with a shoe string budget, so i'm sure that won't be a problem. But can he make the step up, that will be interesting to see.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
The owners have said they're going to interview a lot of people. Martinez and Rodgers being interviewed doesn't really mean anything.
sure it doesn't but the rumours give me the feeling Pool are looking to get a young, up-and-comer, who has everything yet to prove, as opposed an experienced manager, of which there is quite the abundance out there right now.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
sure it doesn't but the rumours give me the feeling Pool are more high on getting a young, up-and-comer, who has everything yet to prove, as opposed an experienced manager, of which there is quite the abundance out there right now.
I wouldn't believe the rumors. Liverpool doesn't really deal through the press like many other clubs. Right now it's just a lot of obvious 2 and 2 journalism. AVB, Rodgers, Martinez, Lambert. Pretty easy guess.

Read Ian Ayre's interview. He stated that the club don't care particularly about age as they do about the plan for moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)