[ENG] Premiership 2008/2009 (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Where else can he be fielded though Andy? i mean now that you guys have 4 strikers on your books, its near impossible for him to be played as a second striker.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Where else can he be fielded though Andy? i mean now that you guys have 4 strikers on your books, its near impossible for him to be played as a second striker.
His natural position is the free role behind the strikers or as a second striker, but he might be able to do well on the left-wing. When he was brought on for Empoli he played there a couple times I believe.

It's surely going to be Giovinco on the left and yes, you're right, his brilliance will be wasted there.
If Gio can cut inside and not have to worry too much about defending, then perhaps he could still work wonders. We just have to wait and see.

I say start him out there anyway instead of Pavel right from the start.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Giovinco is a playmaker, his original position is behind the strikers.

But for Giovinco to play there a change of tactics is required (4-3-1-2) and unfortunately we can't do that because we need good full backs to play that way and we don't have them.

We won the CL with that formation. That Juve team from 1996 didn't have stars, apart from the attackers. Ravanelli and Vialli in attack and a young very promising Del Piero behind them. All the rest of the starters from the CL final were hard workers.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
@Alen and Andy,

Yes i know that he's naturally a playmaker, but we all know that Ranieri isnt going to change tactics to accommodate anyone, its still going to be the classic 4-4-2 in which unfortunately for Gio he cant be played anywhere but the left.

Maybe you guys could just sell him to us:D

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Giovinco can be a left winger that cuts in alot, Nedved played as a AMC more or less when he starts from the left but goes inside alot (most of our counters are started from Nedved from the center). Give Gio freedom to cut in, and he will do fine on the left. The only thing is with two hardworking DMs, we should let him off the hook in tracking back.

Nedved style is to work hard, so even when he isnt required to track back, he does. So hopefully Ranieri sees the difference and lets Giovinco off that burden. Ranieri likes Giovinco, so he knows him well enough already, and should be able to be flexible. Playing on the left wing with freedom will work fine for Gio.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
His natural position is the free role behind the strikers or as a second striker, but he might be able to do well on the left-wing. When he was brought on for Empoli he played there a couple times I believe.
Yeah but you guys bought Amauri so that's gone to shit. The best thing is to do like we(pool) did with Cisse and DC did with Freddy. Play Giovino on the left as an attacking midfielder/striker hybrid. He could succeed in that role with his ability to cut in and make plays. You can't do that against the cream of the Serie A as there is a lot of space given up and the left back or CM is forced to cover, but it would work against the crap of the league and most of the mediocre teams as Sissoko, Poulsen, and Zanetti are more than capable. It basically gives you a three pronged attack with more chance for creativity and it takes a lot of defensive responsibility off the young player's shoulders.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
but we all know that Ranieri isnt going to change tactics to accommodate anyone
Actually, i think that exactly someone like Ranieri could do it.
Authorities like Capello and Mourinho will never change tactics to accomodate a player, but Ranieri strikes me as someone who would listen to everything the bosses say or even what the public wants. Something like Donadoni at the EURO.

When some exceptional talent pops up, coaches set the tactics to suit that player rather than the opposite.
Hopefully Giovinco will prove that he's worthy of a tactic change and if he does, i believe Ranieri will do it.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Actually, i think that exactly someone like Ranieri could do it.
Authorities like Capello and Mourinho will never change tactics to accomodate a player, but Ranieri strikes me as someone who would listen to everything the bosses say or even what the public wants. Something like Donadoni at the EURO.

When some exceptional talent pops up, coaches set the tactics to suit that player rather than the opposite.
Hopefully Giovinco will prove that he's worthy of a tactic change and if he does, i believe Ranieri will do it.
but another problem pops up then, a 4-3-1-2 would need good attacking fullbacks like you said earlier, and it would mean that Camo is played central midfield which isnt his best position.

The way i see it, changing tactics to accommodate Gio would create more problems than solve.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Yeah but you guys bought Amauri so that's gone to shit. The best thing is to do like we(pool) did with Cisse and DC did with Freddy. Play Giovino on the left as an attacking midfielder/striker hybrid. He could succeed in that role with his ability to cut in and make plays. You can't do that against the cream of the Serie A as there is a lot of space given up and the left back or CM is forced to cover, but it would work against the crap of the league and most of the mediocre teams as Sissoko, Poulsen, and Zanetti are more than capable. It basically gives you a three pronged attack with more chance for creativity and it takes a lot of defensive responsibility off the young player's shoulders.
Wait, what did we buy Amauri for?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
but another problem pops up then, a 4-3-1-2 would need good attacking fullbacks like you said earlier, and it would mean that Camo is played central midfield which isnt his best position.

The way i see it, changing tactics to accommodate Gio would create more problems than solve.
Nah not exactly. The way we played under Lippi in 2003 was with Zambro or Camo on the right and they still made runs up the right flank. We had Tacchinardi holding in front of the defense and had Davids on the left, where he tracked back to help out Alessio. It was unbalanced but worked.

Problem is we have Molinaro.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That's what I've been asking. I figure Trez, DP, and Iaquinta would be enough for any league. Especially with the occasional insertion of Giovinco. Think of it, without the Amauri purchase you might have Xabi and proper cover on the left side.
Okay, I thought you meant we'd use Amauri on the left or something.

It's true, we needed to find some creativity to place in midfield instead of another striker. We had Palladino as the fourth striker for cover, but now that goes to Iaquinta. I don't know. Ranieri says he wants two quality players in every position, yet we don't even have one quality left-winger anymore since Nedved is pretty much done. We don't have a quality left-back unless De Ceglie proves his worth.

I've been saying this stuff for months now but Ranieri apparently has other ideas.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Giovinco will be just fine on the left wing. He's played there most of the time for Empoli, that I've seen. In fact, the times where he has been trequartista has been usually for the Azzurrini and even then he tends to drfit leftwards. To get the best out of his creativity and passing ability which is top notch, a central position is required. On the left, however, he taks on players, crosses the balls and cuts inside. Either role is fine with me.

Not in terms of playing style or roles, but on the left wing, positionally he can be used like Ronaldinho at Barca or Zidane at Real. That is how I would expect Ranieri to use him anyhow, with a midfield of Zanetti/ Poulsen, Sissoko and Camoranesi. Camo would be postioned somewhere between RM and CM (like with Lippi's Azzurri), where he can take advantage of his creativity, work rate, ability to hold the ball well and his wing play.

---Giovinco
------------------------Camoranesi---
------Sissoko------Zanetti

It's like a narrow 4-4-2. I know Sissoko usually plays on the right side of CM, while Zanetti is on the left, but with Gio playing rather than Nedved, Sissoko's running may be more needed behing Gio, while Zanetti sits in front of defence and Camo next to him.

Lucky Luke

Jul 23, 2007
Giovinco will be just fine on the left wing. He's played there most of the time for Empoli, that I've seen. In fact, the times where he has been trequartista has been usually for the Azzurrini and even then he tends to drfit leftwards. To get the best out of his creativity and passing ability which is top notch, a central position is required. On the left, however, he taks on players, crosses the balls and cuts inside. Either role is fine with me.

Not in terms of playing style or roles, but on the left wing, positionally he can be used like Ronaldinho at Barca or Zidane at Real. That is how I would expect Ranieri to use him anyhow, with a midfield of Zanetti/ Poulsen, Sissoko and Camoranesi. Camo would be postioned somewhere between RM and CM (like with Lippi's Azzurri), where he can take advantage of his creativity, work rate, ability to hold the ball well and his wing play.

---Giovinco
------------------------Camoranesi---
------Sissoko------Zanetti

It's like a narrow 4-4-2. I know Sissoko usually plays on the right side of CM, while Zanetti is on the left, but with Gio playing rather than Nedved, Sissoko's running may be more needed behing Gio, while Zanetti sits in front of defence and Camo next to him.
theoriticaly your are right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)