Status
Not open for further replies.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Prem Team Of The Weak: Round 14

Goalkeeper

Jussi Jaaskelainen (Bolton): It wasn't the best week for goalkeepers in England, but the Finn produced a few quality saves to keep Manchester United at bay, and to just about pip Wigan's Mike Pollit to this spot.

Defenders

Lucas Neill (West Ham): A man of the match display against Tottenham to grab a hard-earned point for the Hammers - who could well have had more with some luck.

Ivan Campo (Bolton): A domineering display against what was some onslaught from the Manchester United attacking force. Slots into the defence this week for want of space in midfield.

Olof Mellberg :D (Aston Villa): The Juventus target once again showed off his physical and aerial prowess as his team heaped further misery on Middlesbrough and Gareth Southgate.

Stephen Warnock (Blackburn): The full-back had his best game of the season, impressing at both ends of the pitch and being rewarded with a goal, and the man of the match award for his efforts.

Midfielders

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool): The Reds' skipper turned his international disappointment into the perfect motivation, and Newcastle felt the full weight of his brilliance.

Kevin Nolan (Bolton): Like many times in the past, was the force that held the Trotters together in the face of adversity, helping them to what is undoubtedly their biggest result of the year.

Papa Bouba Diop (Portsmouth): The 29-year-old Senegalese won absolutely everything in the middle of the pitch as Portsmouth came through a cagey start to eventually run out comfortable winners against Birmingham City.

Mikel Arteta (Everton): An absolute star. Almost everything Everton did in their 7-1 mauling of Sunderland went through him. The much wanted Spaniard is Goal.com's MVP of the week.

Strikers

Tim Cahill (Everton): The Australian international is back in top form after his injury worry, and was an integral part of a magical afternoon for the club. The David Moyes era continues to surprise naysayers.

Aiyegbeni Yakubu (Everton): Sunderland simply did not know what hit them, and it was the Nigerian who softened them up with his combination of physique and pace. Two more goals to show for his efforts.

Honourable Mentions

Nicholas Anelka (Bolton) and Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa) miss out largely due to Everton's brilliance. In midfield, Frank Lampard and John Obi Mikel (Chelsea), Steven Pienaar (Everton), Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Lassana Diarra (Arsenal) deserve mention.

In defence, William Gallas and Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Titus Bramble (Wigan) and Nuno Valente (Everton) all came close to a spot, while Wigan goalkeeper Mike Pollit deserves a mention for his show against Arsenal, which, sadly, was not enough.

Abhishek Thakur , Goal.com

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Cahill isn't a striker.
just out of curiosity just why cannot russel anderson get into the sunderland defense?man those ass-clowns make boumsong look world class, 3 or 4 of the everton goals came from a long punt down field and no defender having the savvy to go and meet the ball, it was awful. i feel heart-sorry for craig gordon

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
just out of curiosity just why cannot russel anderson get into the sunderland defense?man those ass-clowns make boumsong look world class, 3 or 4 of the everton goals came from a long punt down field and no defender having the savvy to go and meet the ball, it was awful. i feel heart-sorry for craig gordon
bozi, i think it was a massive mistake for craig gordon to move to sunderland!

i agree there defence is a disaster, but i think roy keane will start his torturing ways cos this is getting a bit out of hand. i knew everton would win easily but not 7 goals really.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I'm not sure. He got an injury a while back (achilles?) and hasn't played since. I don't know if he is injured, recovering or Keane just doesn't rate him.

If he gets fit again, Aberdeen should put in a cheeky loan bid in January. :D

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
I'm not sure. He got an injury a while back (achilles?) and hasn't played since. I don't know if he is injured, recovering or Keane just doesn't rate him.

If he gets fit again, Aberdeen should put in a cheeky loan bid in January. :D
:lol: would you lot take him back? i mean you really need to strengthen but the way he left i aint so sure you would be welcoming

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
The way he left?

Nobody grudged him his move, we got a fair price for him.

He would be at least as welcome at Pittodrie as Gordon would be Tynecastle.

I will be surprised if Anderson doesn't play for Aberdeen again at some point in his career.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
The way he left?

Nobody grudged him his move, we got a fair price for him.

He would be at least as welcome at Pittodrie as Gordon would be Tynecastle.

I will be surprised if Anderson doesn't play for Aberdeen again at some point in his career.
ahh i actually thought you were dissapointed with him going to a third-rate premiership team but hey-ho guess i was misguided. man i would take gordon on my back and walk him home to tynie

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I was disappointed but he was always going to leave, so better for £1m last summer than for nothing next summer.

Having watched the guy for the last decade and how he carried the team for about three seasons of that I was never going to turn on him. As long as he left Scotland, that is.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
And Mcleish becomes the Birmingham City boss..
big mistake IMO, not leaving scotland but birmingham are in the process of a takeover and any promises made from current chairman could blow up big time

talking about strange decisions............paul jewel to derby??:shocked:

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
I think Mcleish made a good decision.He's already a hero with the Scots for taking them so close to qualification,and he left at the right time.Next time he might have blown it all up and then gone out as the man who fucked it all up,but now he's going out as a hero.Birmingham will have a cash injection because of the takeover,which makes this job probably the most attractive as far as the relegation battle in the EPL is concerned.Ofcourse it could backfire if he doesnt get the cash he wants,or if he screws up despite having the money,but i think its a good move on his part.The Paul Jewel bit is a bit surprising though.Derby are absoloutley hopeless,and Jewel wont get much out of jumping on a sinking ship.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
big mistake IMO, not leaving scotland but birmingham are in the process of a takeover and any promises made from current chairman could blow up big time
:agree:

He should have waited for a bigger job.

I expect Birmingham to be relegated and McLeish to be saked by the new owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)