Egypt: from 2011 demonstrations to today (12 Viewers)

kairobo

May 29, 2013
freaking sharia law?

someone here wants sharia law?

I tell you something: laws and religion, or even religion and state SHOULD NEVER mix. do you really want people getting stoned or killed for cheating or beein nude or whatever these thousands of years old religious laws demand?
that would be a huge step back

here are some likeminded egyptians who would love the sharia law:

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
When is a military coup not a military coup? When it happens in Egypt, apparently

Those Western leaders who are telling us Egypt is still on the path to “democracy” have to remember that Morsi was indeed elected in a real, Western-approved election

For the first time in the history of the world, a coup is not a coup. The army take over, depose and imprison the democratically elected president, suspend the constitution, arrest the usual suspects, close down television stations and mass their armour in the streets of the capital. But the word 'coup’ does not – and cannot – cross the lips of the Blessed Barack Obama. Nor does the hopeless UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon dare to utter such an offensive word. It’s not as if Obama doesn’t know what’s going on. Snipers in Cairo killed 15 Egyptians this week from a rooftop of the very university in which Obama made his 'reach-out’ speech to the Muslim world in 2009.

Is this reticence because millions of Egyptians demanded just such a coup – they didn’t call it that, of course – and thus became the first massed people in the world to demand a coup prior to the actual coup taking place? Is it because Obama fears that to acknowledge it’s a coup would force the US to impose sanctions on the most important Arab nation at peace with Israel? Or because the men who staged the coup might forever lose their 1.5 billion subvention from the US – rather than suffer a mere delay -- if they were told they’d actually carried out a coup.

Now for the kind of historical memory that Obama would enjoy. In that dodgy 2009 speech in Cairo – in which he managed to refer to Palestinian “dislocation” rather than “dispossession” – Obama made the following remarkable comment, which puts the events in Egypt today into a rather interesting perspective. There were some leaders, he said, “who advocate for democracy only when they are out of power; once in power, they are ruthless in suppressing the rights of others…you must respect the rights of minorities, and participate with a spirit of tolerance and compromise; you must place the interests of your people and the legitimate workings of the political process above your party. Without these ingredients, elections alone do not make true democracy.”

Obama did not say this in the aftermath of the coup-that-wasn’t. He uttered these very words in Egypt itself just over four years ago. And it pretty much sums up what Mohamed Morsi did wrong. He treated his Muslim Brotherhood mates as masters rather than servants of the people, showed no interest in protecting Egypt’s Christian minority, and then enraged the Egyptian army by attending a Brotherhood meeting at which Egyptians were asked to join the holy war in Syria to kill Shiites and overthrow Bashar al-Assad’s regime.

And there is one salient fact about the events of the last 48 hours in Egypt. No one is happier – no one more satisfied nor more conscious of the correctness of his own national struggle against 'Islamists’ and 'terrorists’ -- than Assad. The West has been wetting itself to destroy Assad – but does absolutely nothing when the Egyptian army destroys its democratically-elected president for lining up with Assad’s armed Islamist opponents. The army called Morsi’s supporters “terrorists and fools”. Isn’t that just what Bashar calls his enemies? No wonder Assad told us yesterday that no one should use religion to gain power. Hollow laughter here -- offstage, of course.

But this doesn’t let Obama off the hook. Those Western leaders who are gently telling us that Egypt is still on the path to “democracy”, that this is an “interim” period – like the 'interim’ Egyptian government concocted by the military – and that millions of Egyptians support the coup that isn’t a coup, have to remember that Morsi was indeed elected in a real, Western-approved election. Sure, he won only 51 per cent -- or 52 per cent -- of the vote.

But did George W. Bush really win his first presidential election? Morsi certainly won a greater share of the popular vote than David Cameron. We can say that Morsi lost his mandate when he no longer honoured his majority vote by serving the majority of Egyptians. But does that mean that European armies must take over their countries whenever European prime ministers fall below 50 per cent in their public opinion polls? And by the way, are the Muslim Brotherhood to be allowed to participate in the next Egyptian presidential elections? Or will they be banned? And if they participate, what will happen if their candidate wins again?

Israel, however, must be pleased. It knows a coup when it sees one – and it’s now back playing its familiar role as the only 'democracy’ in the Middle East, and with the kind of neighbours it understands: military rulers. And if Egypt’s wealthy military king-makers are getting a nifty $1.5 billion dollars a year from Washington – albeit postponed -- they are certainly not going to tamper with their country’s peace treaty with Israel, however unpopular it remains with the people for whom it supposedly staged the coup-that-wasn’t. Stand by then for the first US delegation to visit the country which has suffered the coup-that-wasn’t. And you’ll know whether they believe there was a coup or not by the chaps they visit on their arrival in Cairo: the army, of course.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...n-it-happens-in-egypt-apparently-8688000.html

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
If armed thugs aka army is planning to interfere in next election and ban some of the parties/candidates, it will inevitably turn into Syria.
:motta:

the same mentality my dear god!! wow you r only a turkish version.

no one wants them to be sidelined dont worry (p.s dont worry about them, they know how to play the victim card like pro's) , however there has to be new rules to how the muslim brotherhood operate in egypt. they r still part of the egyptain community even if i hate them. they need to stop violence though bec they r rapidly lost what so little credibility is left for them in the street. as for the top dogs being rallied up its for reasons i am sick and tired of explaining. they did crimes against the egyptain state and dont you worry they will get fair trail. if hassan el bana must be rolling in his grave at how the muslim brotherhood left his path at the hands of the current top dogs. you r right though they should'nt be removed from the political scene and no one wants or agree's with this. as for whats happening in sinai thats a different story and it will be dealt with firmly and the entire country is behind the armed forces to clean up the mini jihadi club there :)

p.s i would've respected you if you had given your thoughts about the idea's being spilled out like this preaching killing people and christians but yeah what ever.

finally news flash: egypt and egyptains are still muslim's after morsy got the boot just in case you believe what they have been preaching that morsy in power means islam is in power.

- - - Updated - - -

ok, lets wait and see how this ends. note: if you think people would accept the military in power again like the 18 month transistional period you r mistakened and the people as you saw can hit the streets faster than you think. i wont debate military coup or not coup you are free to believe what you want to believe. as for me personally i'm proud of what happened, the muslim brotherhood needed a reality check and only time will tell if they will sit and recover from the state of denial they r in at the moment and realize they did some catastrophic mistakes that have catalyzed the collapse of there organization on the hands of there top heads and supreme leader. there are signs of this, bec many are disbanding from them, due to how it was mis handled. like i told turk they r part of the political scene but they need to comply to the same rules all political parties on the soveren land of egypt comply with. i,e no secret accounts, financing sources need to be known to every one and are monitored by the institutions responsible for this, and more importantly no secret armed services or forces. the door is open to them, and i as some one who dislikes and disagree's with them will not like them to be sidelined bec only then we can build a country with democracy and a system that regulates the rotation of power.

i wonder when in history was a military coup message delivered on tv with the head of armed forces, head of azhar, head of coptic church, and head of salafi party being part of it. i understand you cant trust, specially that the western media is'nt on the ground here in egypt thru out the past year, nor do they understand that egypt is not a democracy just yet.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
entire country is behind the armed forces to clean up the mini-jihad club...then who voted for Morsi in the elections? Martians?

and the "clean up" seems to have started already:

Jul 2, 2006
Minority dictatorship which is ignoring the demands of majority of nation(Muslims), preventing them from participating in elections is an invitation to civil war. If it happens, armed thugs aka army(their biggest achievement is 6 day war) won't be able to deal with millions.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
entire country is behind the armed forces to clean up the mini-jihad club...then who voted for Morsi in the elections? Martians?

and the "clean up" seems to have started already:

yeah the video they r trying to use to herd the people against the military, mind you watch the video again Ahmed. i'll try find you what they said about this video.

as for voted for mosry it was the muslim brother hood, salafists, and egyptains from the liberal wing, and all other parties so ahmed shafik who was the opponent in the last round bec he represents the mubarak era. they did this after the moron that is morsy made promises that he never kept.

as for the cleaning up part, read my post i'm talking about the mini jihadi club in sinai, who are killing our soliders ever since morsy came to power, and the egyptain army started a mission to counter the terrorists in sinai who came into it while morsy was over only for him to command the army to stop, so its back now bec no one wants there sons in the military or police to be kidnapped or killed.

- - - Updated - - -

Minority dictatorship which is ignoring the demands of majority of nation(Muslims), preventing them from participating in elections is an invitation to civil war. If it happens, armed thugs aka army(their biggest achievement is 6 day war) won't be able to deal with millions.
:lol: you have your brain washed beyond hope. the biggest achievement of the egyptain army is the 6 day war?? is that how pathetic they teach you to be?? thats copy paste what they say. i thought iz was joking when he called you an erdogan boy now i see it, after all they are based on the mb here.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WE ARE ALL MUSLIMS!!! stop using this its weak!! what minority are you talking about?!?! also the muslim brotherhood are not majority they r 500,000 only lets say even a million are you telling me they r all muslims and the rest are not???

the muslim brotherhood are not islam get over it!!!

hasan el bana is not a prophet of god, he is a human who regretted the day he made the muslim brotherhood. READ THERE FUCKING HISTORY before going around and saying what u r saying.

Jul 2, 2006
I didn't even know who is hasan el bana, i also don't know about history or details of muslim brotherhood so i can't be brainwashed at all. Them being Muslim and legally elected by people is enough for me to defend them. Just like Hamas.

Any average person can analyze the situtaion while looking at who are celebrating the coup. Some of them are these ones; bashar assad, zionists, commies, ultra nationalists and other anti-islamic sects in my country. reactions from hypocrite europeans are also pathetic. If it was a coup against, let's say leftists, they would gone mad. This coup is against Islam.

- - - Updated - - -

Erdoğan slams West for not calling Egypt army intervention a 'coup’

5 July 2013 /TODAYSZAMAN.COM, İSTANBUL
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has strongly criticized the Western nations, particularly the European Union, for turning a blind eye to the army intervention in Egypt that overthrew former President Mohamed Morsi and put in place an interim technocrat president to lead the country out of the political standoff.

Erdoğan leveled criticisms against Western nations for not naming the army intervention a “military coup” and said it doesn’t fit into values of the West. He said all coups, no matter where and against whom they happened, are “bad, inhumane and enemy of democracy.”

The Egyptian military forced Morsi out on Wednesday after millions of Egyptians turned out in four days of protests. After its top leaders were targeted with arrest warrants, the Muslim Brotherhood hotly rejected an appeal by the military to take part in forming a new regime.

The prime minister also lashed out at to those who call the army intervention “popular” and said the army’s intervention cannot be justified as a democratic behavior. He underlined the fact that he is calling what happened in Egypt a “military coup” and not an “intervention.”

Erdoğan said that there cannot be a “democratic coup,” calling it a paradox. He said those “who look at streets and ignore the ballot box cannot display a principled and ethical position.”

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It was a military coup. That's undeniable.

1) Was there a very unpopular leader? Check.

2) Were he and his government removed by the military? Double Check.

3) Was someone else installed in the unpopular guy's place? Triple Check.

Then people think...

4) Did it happen in South America? No. Oh well then, not a Coup. :eek:nemanarmy:

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
A Coup d'état by defintion is a sudden overthrow of a regime...a 48 hour window is not a sudden overthrow...

In fact there's no snappy french term for this at all:motta:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)